2 more Auto-rx mules, clean phase started 04/05/09

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO this is a perfect opportunity,he ran 2 full cycles and got little result for a lot of money.
If the mess can be cleaned up for under 15 bucks with another product in a short time then we should test it right?

Let the product stand on its own merits with no excuses.If it works as Kano Labs claims (it has proven itself to me in every single instance) then we have more data. If it does not clean like they say for any reason ditto and i will get a refund from them,i have no connection with them except as a retail customer.

All my experiences were in the warm summer months,i believe the cold months could provide more info about this products capabilities.
The point is to test the product under all circumstances not just with this oil or that oil while standing on a ladder with one finger in a 220v socket and a lampshade on your head.

Its all positive info for the database regardless of the outcome.

I think it's a great idea Trav. The whole point of the board is to share, good and bad, and possibly help people make sound investments, or avoid bad ones. Since you have no financial interest in either company and are only providing product to another member to test, I see no downside at all. It's a shame that the OP manually cleaned the visible areas, we would have had one awesome proving ground, and the possibility to see what really happens to splash fed areas.

I sure hope OP (db130) takes advantage of Trav's generous offer. I would have driven all the way to any place named by Trav for Kreen (actually I did :)

- Vikas

Trav, you have an incoming PM.

I will say though that both cars got a crankcase full of GC yesterday and I was planning to leave it in for a 5k/5 month OCI. If you are OK with the timetable, I will gladly accept.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
I feel the Auto Rx is [censored] that does absolutely NOTHING! Folks tell me that the oil fill hole does not get oil up there. Well how did the varnish/sludge get there then and why is it soaked in hot oil every time I open it?
Oil, fuel and water vapors will collect there, and when they evaporate, they leave behind those deposits. Auto RX being made of esters, has low volatility, and as such, will not become a vapor that will travel up to the filler cap. If it doesn't flow over it, you're not going to see any cleaning.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
I feel the Auto Rx is [censored] that does absolutely NOTHING! Folks tell me that the oil fill hole does not get oil up there. Well how did the varnish/sludge get there then and why is it soaked in hot oil every time I open it?
Oil, fuel and water vapors will collect there, and when they evaporate, they leave behind those deposits. Auto RX being made of esters, has low volatility, and as such, will not become a vapor that will travel up to the filler cap. If it doesn't flow over it, you're not going to see any cleaning.

The Auto Rx mixes with the oil and is supposed to clean by the oil flowing over parts. As soon as I turn off the engine and open the filler cap it is full of hot oil and dripping all over. That area gets soaked with hot oil that is full of Auto Rx so if Auto Rx works it would be cleaning that area. Also you can see the same crud build up just inside the fill hole that sits in the oil/ARX and it never got cleaned up. I followed the directions to the T. Auto Rx simply does not work. It's Fin snake oil.
After 2 OCI and over 10,000 miles using German Castrol that fill hole was starting to clean up and looked a lot cleaner but not 100%. I went ahead and just finished it by hand. I now wich I had waited longer to see how much more the GC would have cleaned.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

The Auto Rx mixes with the oil and is supposed to clean by the oil flowing over parts. As soon as I turn off the engine and open the filler cap it is full of hot oil and dripping all over. That area gets soaked with hot oil that is full of Auto Rx so if Auto Rx works it would be cleaning that area. Also you can see the same crud build up just inside the fill hole that sits in the oil/ARX and it never got cleaned up. I followed the directions to the T. Auto Rx simply does not work. It's Fin snake oil.
After 2 OCI and over 10,000 miles using German Castrol that fill hole was starting to clean up and looked a lot cleaner but not 100%. I went ahead and just finished it by hand. I now wich I had waited longer to see how much more the GC would have cleaned.

While you didn't see the results you wanted to see, that doesn't mean the product didn't work. Again, you'd need accurate, quantifiable measurements before and after to make any solid determinations it didn't do anything.

If you had done compression tests and/or idle fuel consumption tests, you'd have a better idea if it did any real cleaning. Cosmetic stuff is hit or miss depending on the application.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

While you didn't see the results you wanted to see, that doesn't mean the product didn't work

Seeing is believing, since on the back of the bottle of arx it says it will drive ALL THIRD PARTY ABRASIVES to your oil filter, this has me thinking it will clean everything out of your engine and leave it spotless.

Quote:
Again, you'd need accurate, quantifiable measurements before and after to make any solid determinations it didn't do anything.

Arx never told me to do that, if they had, I would have done it. Remember I was a MODERATOR ON THE ARX FORUM, AND I WAS ONCE THERE BIGGEST CHEERLEADER.

Quote:
Cosmetic stuff is hit or miss depending on the application.

If ARX cannot remove it, then it does not matter, we have heard that before, again this product in the engine is an overpriced UNDERPERFORMER.

There has been 35 ARX Threads that have been LOCKED on this FORUM. That should tell members here how well this product works in engines.

Quote:

They say seeing is believing.Well you paid the price of admission as did i and didn't get any show.
Honestly what you say seems like straight forward common sense.
If something is getting wet with the oil/ARX mix it should be clean.If i put a painted part in paint remover i expect the paint to be gone,not some song and dance about the surface being prepped for paint,don't worry if the original paint is still there.

GC is a top shelf oil,i would guess is has decent cleaning abilities as do some other quality oils.

Pennzoil Platinum did more cleaning for me than what auto-rx did. That's just my opinion based on my observations, and I am sticking with my statement.

Any questions, then PM me.

I have seen results so I know it works. Then again, I have an understanding of how different every situation is and a simple understanding of the scientific process. I know ARX works despite not seeing any cosmetic evidence because I actually tested it. But, again, I only care about performance, efficiency and longevity.

As a side, some cars get build-up under the filler cap and some don't no matter what oil is used and no matter how the car is treated. Each design is different and not everyone is going to see benefits from any product. There will never be a product that works for everyone in every imaginable situation but that doesn't mean the product doesn't work.

Last edited:
Quote:
I know ARX works despite not seeing any cosmetic evidence because I actually tested it. But, again, I only care about performance, efficiency and longevity.

No problem with that statement.
What i do have an issue with is this product is sold primarily as a visual sludge cleaning product!
Sludge is as much visible as is it performance inhibiting.

If visual results are of little or no consequence then why all the pictures and cleaning testimonials on the ARX website?

Many products are sold as ring cleaners and promise no visual improvements at all and still sell well enough.
IMO if ARX wants to sell it as a ring cleaner and promise no visual improvements then no problem whatsoever,but that is not the case.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Quote:
I know ARX works despite not seeing any cosmetic evidence because I actually tested it. But, again, I only care about performance, efficiency and longevity.

No problem with that statement.
What i do have an issue with is this product is sold primarily as a visual sludge cleaning product!
Sludge is as much visible as is it performance inhibiting.

If visual results are of little or no consequence then why all the pictures and cleaning testimonials on the ARX website?

Many products are sold as ring cleaners and promise no visual improvements at all and still sell well enough.
IMO if ARX wants to sell it as a ring cleaner and promise no visual improvements then no problem whatsoever,but that is not the case.

Not necessarily. Here is autorx's page: [link to non-sponsoring vendor removed]

There are currently 9 bullet points on the front page about what ARX does. Only one of the nine can seriously be considered something cosmetic. That indicates only about 11% of ARX's marketing has to do with cosmetic improvements.

Also, the studies done with ARX normally revolve around measurements but there are a couple that include pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:
They still claim to remove sludge and brag about cleaning.
Since you brought up their site here is one statement of many that i am quite sure SOPUS and others would aggressively dispute.

Quote:
Lubricating oils can either lubricate or clean. They cannot do both well. Detergents in motor oils are added to try to maintain a clean system, but they do little to nothing on deposits that have already formed.

Really? Is Pennzoil making false claims on every yellow bottle when they say removes up to 40% of sludge in the first oil change?

I would argue the above statement made by ARX is blatantly false which begs the question of what other statements are false?

I have no desire to dissect any more ARX statements from their website here,it would be just tedious.
Let others read the ARX site,do their homework and draw their own conclusions.

Originally Posted By: Trav
They still claim to remove sludge and brag about cleaning.
Since you brought up their site here is one statement of many that i am quite sure SOPUS and others would aggressively dispute.

Quote:
Lubricating oils can either lubricate or clean. They cannot do both well. Detergents in motor oils are added to try to maintain a clean system, but they do little to nothing on deposits that have already formed.

Really? Is Pennzoil making false claims on every yellow bottle when they say removes up to 40% of sludge in the first oil change?

I would argue the above statement made by ARX is blatantly false which begs the question of what other statements are false?

I have no desire to dissect any more ARX statements from their website here,it would be just tedious.
Let others read the ARX site,do their homework and draw their own conclusions.

From my limited experiments, SOPUS's claims are false.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

From my limited experiments, SOPUS's claims are false.

How so? Although I do agree certain companies in the oil industry are less than truthful with claims. IMO Sopus is probably one of the very best of the bunch.

It's all in the wording. "Cleans up to 40%" means just that.

It is accurate whether it cleans 1, 5, 15, 39%.

Now if it said "Cleans 40%....", and it didn't, it would be a different story.

Naturally you won't know without knowing how much sludge there is to start with vs how much is there after use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back