2 door sedans of '81

They seem pretty odd today, but fit right in, in the era. The first car I had was a 1979 Ford Granda 2dr. It was white with a red half vinyl roof.

Similar to this one:

15265031-1978-ford-granada-srcset-retina-xl.jpg

That article begins with the wrong thesis.

Coupes aren't dead because of people whining.

They're dead because of car seats, requirements that kids be in them until they're 4-foot-9, and that baby seats can't be up in front by the passenger air bag.

Who wants to navigate a rear facing car seat in a coupe? Nightmare fuel.

I remember the days. I remember idling plus air conditioner meant overheating all the time. I remember that power windows and locks, something we take for granted, were common failures and repair parts. I remember that if your heater core made it to 100k, that was amazing. Not knocking the era - they could be comfy, quiet, and it’s the best we had at the time - but I’m accustomed to the a reliability and performance in todays vehicles that the 80s just can’t touch. How many folks remember the vibration problems with the first v6s, vacuum lines galore, and stumbles and hiccups we’d just live with back then? I do miss me a good recirc ball steering in a buick though, that felt gooood.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC1
My first car was a 1984 Thunderbird 5.0L and I LOVED it! I still miss that car to this day and people from my hometown still ask me about it when I go back to visit.
Weren't the Thunderbirds of that era all coupes? A friend of mine had a similar Thunderbird, but it had the 2.3L turbo. Had the 5 button keyless entry keypad on the door and all his friends knew the code so he'd sometime come out to his car and his friends would already be waiting for him inside the car.

Seems a though this is all we owned back then. My first car was a...
'68 Buick LeSabre 2 door
'69 Chevrolet Biscayne...Ooops, a 4 door
'73 Newport Custom 2 door
'74 Caprice Classic 2 door
'74 Dodge Power Wagon
'74 Camaro Type LT
'77 Camaro Type LT
'79 Firebird FORMULA
'80 Firebird FORMULA
'84 Plymouth Turismo 2.2 H.O. ....yeah right!
Then it's been 4 door since to the present day.

Weren't the Thunderbirds of that era all coupes? A friend of mine had a similar Thunderbird, but it had the 2.3L turbo. Had the 5 button keyless entry keypad on the door and all his friends knew the code so he'd sometime come out to his car and his friends would already be waiting for him inside the car.
I don't recall a T-Bird ever having four doors.

Back