1st oil change Honda CRV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been told that Honda engines don't have a "break in" period. So based on that, when should I do the first oil change? I like to do the first oil change somewhat soon but what do you all think? I will be using M1 AFE 0W-20 and a FRAM Ultra Synthetic filter.

Whoever told you that was completely wrong. Honda does have a breaking period where their special break in oil (factory fill) needs to stay in for a full MM oil change of down to 15%. Then you can use your M1 AFE 0w20 and Fram Ultra, which are excellent choices by the way.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Whoever told you that was completely wrong. Honda does have a breaking period where their special break in oil (factory fill) needs to stay in for a full MM oil change of down to 15%. Then you can use your M1 AFE 0w20 and Fram Ultra, which are excellent choices by the way.

If you change the FF early, that poor engine will only make it to 299K miles instead of 300K.

I changed the FF in my '13 CR-V at 500 miles. I don't know whether that's good or bad,but I don't lose any sleep at night.

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan

If you change the FF early, that poor engine will only make it to 299K miles instead of 300K.

I changed the FF in my '13 CR-V at 500 miles. I don't know whether that's good or bad,but I don't lose any sleep at night.

I never implied the engine will have an early doom. Honda has a good reason for what they spec, I would follow what they say.

I never implied the engine will have an early doom. Honda has a good reason for what they spec, I would follow what they say.

Then why do you change your oil every 2k and ATF fluid every 5k?

Originally Posted By: dishdude

I dont, but say what you want. Have a good night, not worth the argument.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Not sure if that is spec.....
wink.gif

I would follow your owners manual. After your warranty is out, do whatever floats your boat. IMHO of course.

In Greg's defense, he has upped his OCI to 5k on quality synthetics. Considering his extreme short trip usage, that's probably not to far from being right. Who's to say what's right? When in doubt, follow the OM and the OLM - the most important thing always is to keep your oil level topped off - don't let it run low. To the OP - I wouldn't change the factory fill early.

Honda is an odd ball corp.why they favor flow over filtration?why they use break in oil ?etc etc etc.a lot of stuff Honda did to their car were laughed at!Honda got so many win with their odd ball way of doing thing its insane .and those same engine lasted so long owner sold the car fed up of trying to break it without over or underreving it.so I would trust Honda .they might have lowered their hardcore race breed bar a bit (since most still have a hard time keeping up)but don't sweat it ,their bar is still higher then 80% of other car avail for same price range

Honda used to recommend leaving the factory fill in to 15% on the IOLM, but I don't think you'll find that recommendation in current Owner's Manuals.

OP: like every mass-market car, Hondas do have a break-in period and the Owner's Manual probably has recommendations about how to drive during it. There's been lots of debate about whether to generally change the factory fill oil early or at a normal interval, with no firm conclusion. So, in the absence of from instructions from Honda, do whichever makes you feel better.

I don't have any issue with changing the oil early. I replaced the factory fill with Mobil 1 AFE in my daughter's 2014 Accord at 2600 miles with 70% on the MM. I went with the Honda/Filtech oil filter.

As of the July 2012 build date of our newer Accord, Honda was still recommending that the FF be left in for a normal change interval, so I ran it 8700 miles to 15% MM.
If the OM of your CRV says the same, as it probably does, trust the maker over anyone on this or any other site.
Honda has made a few engines over the decades, most of which have proven to hold up pretty well.
They may know more about proper breakin and engine life than does anyone here or elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: SIXSPEED
I don't have any issue with changing the oil early. I replaced the factory fill with Mobil 1 AFE in my daughter's 2014 Accord at 2600 miles with 70% on the MM. I went with the Honda/Filtech oil filter.

i'm with you on this one. I changed the FF on our bought new 2010 Element at 1,500. I use the Honda/Filtech filter as well. I also use 0W-20 Castrol Syntec instead of the 5W-20 Honda originally spec'd for this vehicle.

Scott

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
I have been told that Honda engines don't have a "break in" period.

I think the statement that "Hondas don't have a break in period" is being misunderstood in this context. As most will acknowledge, Honda does not recommend changing the engine oil early. The first engine oil change is recommended to be done at the expiration of the oil life on the Maintenance Minder, just like every subsequent oil change. So from the standpoint of the vehicle owner, there is no special requirement to change the factory fill early. There is no additional break in lubrication requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back