1GR-FE Favorite OIl

These engines aren't picky about grade.

They'll run forever on anything.
I agree john_pifer:

I've never changed the oil in my 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser w/gasoline V6 1GR-FE and VVTi in less than 10k miles. I've gone as long as 18k miles.
It's my daily driver and has been for almost 14 yrs. Engine has 221k miles. It's never burned or leaked oil. It's never thrown a code or been in a shop. I've tried many different brands of 5w-30 and 5w-40 synthetic oil, from Amsoil Signature too WallyWorld Syntech. I've posted its 13 UOA report results here on BITOG. Owner's manual says to change it 5w-30 every 5k. What a waste that would be.

I'm currently midway (5k miles) thru a run with 5w-20 Mobil 1. Next time I'm planning to run 0w-20.

Last edited:
Ive been running vw's mobil 0w30 @ 5000mile intervals on my 2017 TRDP. going to send my next oil change to blackstone but this oil gets good reviews and i got some for free from my buddy who is a vw tech so i cant complain

I agree john_pifer:

I've never changed the oil in my 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser w/gasoline V6 1GR-FE and VVTi in less than 10k miles. I've gone as long as 18k miles.
It's my daily driver and has been for almost 14 yrs. Engine has 221k miles. It's never burned or leaked oil. It's never thrown a code or been in a shop. I've tried many different brands of 5w-30 and 5w-40 synthetic oil, from Amsoil Signature too WallyWorld Syntech. I've posted its 13 UOA report results here on BITOG. Owner's manual says to change it 5w-30 every 5k. What a waste that would be.

I'm currently midway (5k miles) thru a run with 5w-20 Mobil 1. Next time I'm planning to run 0w-20.
Curious why you’d go 20 grade. Especially with the mileage you have?

Curious why you’d go 20 grade. Especially with the mileage you have?
I've seen a nice pop in gas mileage since switching 5 mths & 6k miles ago to 0w-20 (from 5w-30 & 40) in our 07 Yukon awd Denali. It has180k miles on the stock all aluminum 6.2L gasoline L92 engine. We've gained on avg about 30 miles more range per 25 gal tank of premium gas. It now has a range of 410 miles/tank (16 mpg) doing our local driving. Before it was 380 miles. Hwy range is now 485 miles/tank (19 mpg). Before 450 miles.

We also have a vacation home near Leadville, CO where temps get down to -20*f.

I've seen a nice pop in gas mileage since switching 5 mths & 6k miles ago to 0w-20 (from 5w-30 & 40) in our 07 Yukon awd Denali. It has180k miles on the stock all aluminum 6.2L gasoline L92 engine. We've gained on avg about 30 miles more range per 25 gal tank of premium gas. It now has a range of 410 miles/tank (16 mpg) doing our local driving. Before it was 380 miles. Hwy range is now 485 miles/tank (19 mpg). Before 450 miles.

We also have a vacation home near Leadville, CO where temps get down to -20*f.
Is the increased wear on the engine worth the mpgs? 0w20 wasn’t recommended in the 2007 model

Back