Toyota 1GR-FE 4.0 V6 Oil - OK to use 0W-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently acquired a 2005 4Runner with the 1GR-FE 4.0 V6 with VVTi. I like to run the thinnest possible oil in my vehicles, especially in the winter. I've read that Toyota recommends 0W-20 for the later revision of this motor with dual VVTi. I was wondering if there's any risk of running 0W-20 in my motor. What brands of 0W-20 are best? Also, would a moly MoS2 engine oil additive be helpful to reduce friction and wear? Thanks!

Your truck specified a 5W30 from the factory. Toyota changed that (backwards specification change) to a 0W20.

You're fine with either weight.

Personally, with Colorado winters, and summers, while either one is fine, I would use a 0W30 synthetic all year. In the summer, with the AC cranking, and a long climb up some of the backroads hills, you're going to see higher oil temps (I did when I lived out there, and had an oil temp gauge). So, when the oil gets hot and thins out a bit, I would want a XW30 vs. the 0W20.

Now, you said that you want "the thinnest possible" - so you're probably not going to take my advice.

In that case, run a good 0W20. There are many of them, including Toyota's own. I would buy what you can get on sale. Amazon, for example, often sells the Pennzoil Platinum 0W20 for $22/jug. Hard to beat that...

Here is the only chart that I am aware of that shows vehicles that have been back spec'd for 5W20 & 0W20 motor oils. Although this chart doesn't show your particular vehicle to use of 0W20 it does show the use of 5W20. And other members(I will agree) that if you can use a 5W20, then you should be able to use a 0W20 as well.

http://www.positivespin.us/Toyota Oil Chart.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the chart, Char Baby. According to that, yes 0w-20 is allowed.

However I agree with Astro's suggestion to keep it a 30 grade oil. 100°F temps climbing a mountain at 7500' your engine is working hard...and Toyota does say that a thicker oil may be required for mountainous terrain, high speed highway and heavy loads.

I'm considering a 0w-40 for my 4Runner, once I've run through the 30 grade that I have in the garage.

Mini thread hijack here:

I might be getting a 2003 Toyota Camry XLE with 171K on its V6.

GENERALLY speaking, is age a factor when considering oil for a well cared for engine like this example?

I'm all for sticcking with the book but there is lots of Toyota experience out there.

Is this Camry V6 the 3.0L or 3.3L as they carried both during this gen.
I don't quite recall however, the XLE V6 may have been the 3.3L as where the lesser Camry's used the 3.0L. And of course all others being the 2.4L 4 cyl.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Char Baby
Here is the only chart that I am aware of that shows vehicles that have been back spec'd for 5W20 & 0W20 motor oils. Although this chart doesn't show your particular vehicle to use of 0W20 it does show the use of 5W20. And other members(I will agree) that if you can use a 5W20, then you should be able to use a 0W20 as well.

If I'm reading this chart correctly, it says that 2012 Tacomas and beyond (unless they reverted back) can only use 0W20 only. My 2015 V6 clearly and explicitly calls for 5W30. The chart also says it shows "the application of Toyota Genuine Motor Oils" and is entitled "TGMO Application Chart".

I wouldn't rely on this chart. I'd rely on the manual.

Last edited:
What kind of driving are you doing? I have the 1GR-FE in my 2008 4Runner. I mostly do short trips during the week followed by a couple hundred miles on the weekends (skiing, camping, etc), and I have decided to go 0w-20 in the winter and 0w-40 in the summer. The timing chain and thin oil is the only thing that concerns me about using thin oil, but I'm thinking it's worth it for the 5000 miles I'll put on from December to March cold starting and short tripping.

ETA: I just ran a 10,000 mile OCI with 5w-20 that I'll be sharing when it comes in. Also short tripped most of the time on that OCI, oil didn't drop a bit.

Last edited:
I would seriously consider the 0w30 suggestions. That gives you the best of both worlds. Mobil 1 AFE would be an excellent choice.

Originally Posted by batook
I recently acquired a 2005 4Runner with the 1GR-FE 4.0 V6 with VVTi. I like to run the thinnest possible oil in my vehicles, especially in the winter. I've read that Toyota recommends 0W-20 for the later revision of this motor with dual VVTi. I was wondering if there's any risk of running 0W-20 in my motor. What brands of 0W-20 are best? Also, would a moly MoS2 engine oil additive be helpful to reduce friction and wear? Thanks!

If car sees Rocky Mountains, stick to 5W30.

5W-30 as the owner's manual specifies unless it says it's ok to use 0W-20. The engine is designed for 5W-30 so stick with that. My 2014 Tacoma Owner's Manual and FSM with the 1GR-FE 4.0L V6 engine says 5W-30 but if you don't have any available, it's fine to use 10W-30 but change it back to 5W-30 on the next oil change.

Originally Posted by JerryBob
Originally Posted by Char Baby

If I'm reading this chart correctly, it says that 2012 Tacomas and beyond (unless they reverted back) can only use 0W20 only. My 2015 V6 clearly and explicitly calls for 5W30. The chart also says it shows "the application of Toyota Genuine Motor Oils" and is entitled "TGMO Application Chart".

I wouldn't rely on this chart. I'd rely on the manual.

I don't think that is what ths chart is saying as the chart stops at 2012. The charts colored dots show what oil is allowable. If there is no dot then that particular grade is not recommend. If there is a colored dot for 0W20 fornyour specifi vehicle & engine then if is allowable &/or has been back spec'd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back