1999 Porsche 996 Motul Xcess 8100 5W40 5K miles - Possible reformulation?

I just got back my latest UOA for Motul 5W-40 and noticed an interesting change. It looks like molybdenum, calcium and boron have increased and zinc and phosphorus have decreased based on the past trends. I've been running the same Motul 5W-40 since 128K mile, so this should not be a leftover remnant from some previous oil. Wear rates still look good so not really a concern, although I typically like to see higher zinc and phosphorus numbers. Not sure if anyone else is seeing the same trend.

UOA.jpg

Possibly maybe Motul will comment to you if you show them? Wear numbers are really good. Great history here.

I agree 100% about the moly, boron and phosphorus. The ca and zn I think are still close enough to the others that it could be normal variation. Are you buying the oil as you need it, or do you have a big stash? If this most recent oil was most recently purchased, then a slight formulation would make sense. Like @fantastic said, best to ask Motul.

Very good looking report, btw.

No changes between those. Those are normal variations during blending. This is GEN2 I suppose?

Now, Motul USA only sells API SP, but there is leftover API SN on the market.

Yes, Xcess 8100 Gen 2. I typically buy in lots of 4 or 6 5-QT jugs, since that seems the be the cheapest way to purchase it and that typically lasts about a year. Looks like you are running the same oi in you '11 328i. If you have a link to a thread with UOAs on that car it would be an interesting comparison.

No changes between those. Those are normal variations during blending. This is GEN2 I suppose?

Now, Motul USA only sells API SP, but there is leftover API SN on the market.
I can't find the SP version anywhere and the US website PDS still links to SN version :(. The original add pack, Infineum P6660, did not have moly, so there must have been a revision. It's obviously not the SP version yet with 2800 ppm of Ca.

I can't find the SP version anywhere and the US website PDS still links to SN version :(. The original add pack, Infineum P6660, did not have moly, so there must have been a revision. It's obviously not the SP version yet with 2800 ppm of Ca.

Back