2018 Bmw X1 s28i, 32,805 miles, 5.4k miles OCI Motul Xcess Gen 2 5w40 LL01

Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 11.04.49 AM.png

Just sharing another UOA, first one on the motul xcess gen 2 5w40. Wear on iron seems consistent , this car does make frequent short trips to the grocery / idles often, but half the miles on this UOA consisted of higher speed 80mph+ desert trips to vegas in 100F+ weather 250miles one way. Not much redline runs, but sustained high speed in high heat with a/c blasting on full.

I know the recommended oil is BMW 0w20 LLFE, but LL01 works if anyone is wondering why I'm running 5w40. So far the oil thinning leads me to think this is the right choice still. The first UOA you see is BMW 0w20, second is BMW 5w30, and then this one. Notice that the viscosity difference between the BMW TPT 0w20 / 5w30 after 5k+ miles vs the current 5w40.. interesting that the LL01 TPT 5w30 dropped so much.

If I had a favorite, I'd probably keep using the 5w30 LL01 TPT but I've only used the SOPUS BMW TPT. BMW is using castrol now so a different formulation. Calcium is kind of high on the Xcess Gen 2 but so far haven't experienced any LSPI or anything. Maybe I'll try the newer BMW 5w30 eventually but for now I got a bunch of Xcess gen 2 for cheap and will likely run that one or two more times.

Last edited:
Are the prior UOA's with the 20 grade? Wear looks consistent. The first UOA has the better flashpoint, but lower Tbn.

Are the prior UOA's with the 20 grade? Wear looks consistent. The first UOA has the better flashpoint, but lower Tbn.
First one was 0w20, second 5w30 , both BMW TPT (sopus). Yes, wear seems very consistent regardless of weight / type of oil so far. Flashpoint was a beast on the 0w20 TPT UOA though.

Last edited:
OP: Are you certain it was TPT 5w30 rather than the TPT 0w30 (LL01FE)?

In any case the min viscosity of 30w is 9.3 cST @ 100C. So the TPT 30w at 9.19 is not that far out. Probably within the variables of the testing equipment.

First one was 0w20, second 5w30 , both BMW TPT (sopus). Yes, wear seems very consistent regardless of weight / type of oil so far. Flashpoint was a beast on the 0w20 TPT UOA though.
Thanks. The 0w20 and possibly 5w30 stayed in grade whereas the 5w40 dropped a bit, which is not surprising.

OP: Are you certain it was TPT 5w30 rather than the TPT 0w30 (LL01FE)?

In any case the min viscosity of 30w is 9.3 cST @ 100C. So the TPT 30w at 9.19 is not that far out. Probably within the variables of the testing equipment.
Yes, according to BMW dealer at least - the car was under factory warranty/maintenance plan during that period so they chose the oil. With that said the dealership filled my M4 with 0w20 once on accident. Luckily I saw the paper and quickly had my m4 drained and filled with 0w40 so it only had it in for a few hundred miles if that.

View attachment 113728
Just sharing another UOA, first one on the motul xcess gen 2 5w40. Wear on iron seems consistent , this car does make frequent short trips to the grocery / idles often, but half the miles on this UOA consisted of higher speed 80mph+ desert trips to vegas in 100F+ weather 250miles one way. Not much redline runs, but sustained high speed in high heat with a/c blasting on full.

I know the recommended oil is BMW 0w20 LLFE, but LL01 works if anyone is wondering why I'm running 5w40. So far the oil thinning leads me to think this is the right choice still. The first UOA you see is BMW 0w20, second is BMW 5w30, and then this one. Notice that the viscosity difference between the BMW TPT 0w20 / 5w30 after 5k+ miles vs the current 5w40.. interesting that the LL01 TPT 5w30 dropped so much.

If I had a favorite, I'd probably keep using the 5w30 LL01 TPT but I've only used the SOPUS BMW TPT. BMW is using castrol now so a different formulation. Calcium is kind of high on the Xcess Gen 2 but so far haven't experienced any LSPI or anything. Maybe I'll try the newer BMW 5w30 eventually but for now I got a bunch of Xcess gen 2 for cheap and will likely run that one or two more times.
Thanks for the report. It's great to see you trying different weights of Oil. This report is another example of how hard these Turbos are on Oil. Lots of TBN left, but the Oil sheared out of Grade

Okay I only asked because TPT 5w30 was phased out around 2016 and replaced with TPT 0w30 which was used for N-series engines. B-series always got the 20w except for cases where the dealer hadn't received their shipment of 20w.

View attachment 113728

I agree with you. I like the 5-30 run best in your ride.

Okay I only asked because TPT 5w30 was phased out around 2016 and replaced with TPT 0w30 which was used for N-series engines. B-series always got the 20w except for cases where the dealer hadn't received their shipment of 20w.
5w30 tpt was always available for me to purchase and I did exactly that, but yea dealer would opt for the lighter weights . It wasn’t always easy to find so I bought bulk when I could.

Thanks for sharing your report with us.

BMW started using particulate filters in 2018. Do you know if your car has one?

Back