1999 Honda Accord 2.3L 4cyl using oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about to do my first UOA on this vehicle that I purchased as a daily driver. It's an auto with 95,000 miles on it. I've ran Castrol GTX 10W30 for the past 20K miles at 5K mile OCI.

Prepping for the UOA I noticed it seems to be using a bit of oil. I'd guess a quart in the 5K miles.

I'm going to watch it very closely on this next oil change to be sure of exactly how much it's used, but I'm curious if this is the norm for this engine. We have another Accord with a 3.0L V6 (2001 model) which doesn't seem to use a drop.

Have you changed your PCV valve? This can cause oil consumption if it is plugged. Also, do you see blue smoke? Blue smoke is a sign of the engine actually burning the oil.

Do you see any leaks under the car?

Hope this helps.

Mike

That oil usage is not too bad.
Common Honda's 4s seem to have softer rings back then.
Like mentioned, get your PCV system in perfect shape.
Auto RX is an internal engine cleaner that can make rings work properly,by cleaning and unsticking them. this may be worth a try. It is a product that is highly rated around here. It is not an overnight fix, however.

I wouldn't consider it normal. My 1995 Honda engine consumes NO oil in 4,500 miles (longest I've gone on an oil change) and that was with Amsoil synthetic. I went 4,300 miles on Havoline too, and no consumption there either...

I have a '99 Accord with the same engine, 2.3L with about 44,000 miles on it. I never have noticed any oil consumption, always have used a 5w30 synthetic after the factory fill was changed. As others have mentioned, your consumption is minimal, but probably worth investigating.

Thanks for all replys. I'll check the PCV valve. I'm not sure if I changed that at 90K or not. If memory serves, I simply pulled and "rattled" it to make sure it wasn't sticking, however as cheap as they are I might as well replace it.

I get no leaks of any kind, and zero smoke, even after it's sat for a couple of days.

I'll get the PCV done at this next oil change, and look into the AutoRx as well.

I did put 3 cans of Seafoam through the car when I first got it at 78K miles last August. One in a half tank of gas, one in the engine for 200 miles before changing the oil, and one through a vacuum line to clean the upper end of the engine/valves.

I wonder if a clogged PCV valve could be the reason for the sudden oil consumption in my wife's 2000 Civic?? It used no oil whatsoever in the first 85k or so, but in the last few oil changes it's been using about one quart every 3-4k all of a sudden!

I bought a new PCV valve for it a few years ago but never changed it because I can't find it!! I looked high and low all over her engine and simply cannot find the PCV valve anywhere! It's buried in there pretty deep somewhere. If anyone can guide me as to exactly where it is, I'll be very grateful!

Update: I just did a google search and apparently it's located above the oil filter, so the next time I change the oil I'll see if I can change it out. Now I just need to see where I put that new PCV valve!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back