1998 F-150 4.2L V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a 1998 F-150 with 4.2L V6 in a trade. I am unfamiliar with the 4.2L V6. After a bit of research, I understand these engines were plagued with gasket issues if manufactured before 1-16-1998. Luckily, an on line VIN decoder tells me mine was built on 4-6-1998, with the issue solved.

Any random advice or commentary on the 4.2L? What viscosity oil does it like? Is this a generally good engine if its easy driven and well cared for? Thank you all.

My company-supplied work truck is a 2003 F150 with the 4.2 and a manual transmission and 4WD. It sits at 165K miles with no engine problems. It gets serviced by an outside shop with Motorcraft oil and filters. The head gasket problems plagued the 3.8 and, to a lesser degree, 4.2 engines and the head gasket was redesigned, along with longer head bolts, right about the time your truck was manufactured. If your research shows that your truck has the better engine, so be it. That's not to say that your truck will have no head gasket problems, it's just that the probability will be less.
You never want to overheat this engine and you do want to keep an eye on the radiator overflow tank, but I wouldn't worry about it until the problem happens.

I owned an 02 with the V6 and AT for 13 years. Mostly trouble free, but here are my observations:

- The 4R70W trans did not last long for me. Even though I never had to replace or rebuild in 165k miles, I could tell it was slipping and losing stoutness towards the end of its life. Most people will tell you this sounds incorrect, but I learned something important after visiting a reputable transmission shop. The problem with the trans when it is paired with a V6 is it will shoulder the stress of constant shifting around, accelerating wear. When paired with a V8, the combo is more balanced. I kept the fluid and filter in mine changed at regular intervals with Mercon V and didn't tow.

- The IMRC actuator arm bushings will wear out and cause you to throw a code. Can be fixed at home, but requires removal of the upper plenum (but not the intake manifold).

- I ran Motorcraft 5W20 for most of its life along with a FL400S filter and never had oil issues.

- If you still have the factory engine lowering mounts, remove them or snug them up. One day they'll vibrate loose and you'll wonder what the heck is making the noise.

Last edited:
A short bed v6 f150 is what turned my in laws (who use trucks heavily to deliver lubricants) to Ford. It stood up better in severe holy loaded service than the Toyota trucks could, and for less money. I was actually surprised what a workhorse that truck was given the 4.2 AT combo...

I drove a '99 E-250 with 4.2 for 135K mi and beat on it everyday like I hated it(which I did, dog)... Other than std service items it got only a set of spark plugs and front brake pads, had no issues whatsoever...

My brother used to have a 2002 F-150 with the 4.2L V6 & manual transmission. He bought it with 125K miles if I remember right. He always used 5W-30 Motorcraft oil & filters in it. He sold it still running good at over 160K. I still see it on the road. 2 years ago I talked to its latest owner & it had 200K on it then. I saw it on the road yesterday with the same owner. That old truck just keeps going. From my experiences, I'd say the 4.2L is a very reliable engine.

We had one ( 2000 ish? regular cab, longbed 4x4 with the auto) in our fleet many years ago. Truck was knicknamed "the gutless wonder". Everyone flogged it since it was low on power, but the engine never had any issues on it... was sold off with 175,000 on the odometer.

All replacements after that were at least the 4.6 V8...

Last edited:
My father in law had 2000 4.2L/5mt in F150 it was relatively trouble free however frame and bed was absolute junk in 2014 so it was sold to scrap yard with 326,000 miles.

No nice goodwill warranty on frames like Toyota had.

I always find it amusing when people disparage the base or lower tier engines in trucks and vans as "gutless wonders" or underpowered. They aren't supposed to be used for spirited driving or overtaking other traffic on the road. They're supposed to cost less, use less fuel, and be economical in general. They get you and your load(within the rating of the vehicle)from A to B.

In our case, the 4.2 got worse gas mileage than the 4.6l V8 trucks in the same configuration based on our fleet records. Made future fleet decisions pretty easy...

I don't think its disparaging to point out the engine worked hard in this application.

To be blunt, a lot of folks thought the 4.6 V8 was overworked here too. That wasn't our experience, and that was the reason it became our defacto base engine for many years.

Originally Posted By: umungus1122
I always find it amusing when people disparage the base or lower tier engines in trucks and vans as "gutless wonders" or underpowered. They aren't supposed to be used for spirited driving or overtaking other traffic on the road. They're supposed to cost less, use less fuel, and be economical in general. They get you and your load(within the rating of the vehicle)from A to B.

Just stating the truth, IF my money were buying it would have had the 5.4... A 4.2 in a E-250 sucked, Ford eventually dropped it making the 4.6 as base...

When the 97s first came out, a fishing buddy had to have one. Being rather...uhh, frugal, he bought a base model, 2wd, 6 cylinder, 5 speed single cab. It didn't do very well with the small bass boat. He told me Co-workers of his were getting better fuel economy with their v8/ automatics in similar ford trucks. Oddly, he traded that truck for an almost identical truck several years later.
I never had any respect for the 4.2's until I ended up with one as a work truck. 03' lwb, 2wd auto. I don't know what gear ratio it was equipped with, but it pulled a trailer loaded with a rtv900 a lot better than my buddy's truck pulled that little fiberglass boat.
We get rid of trucks at 150k but a co worker has a 2002 4.2l F150 with 385k he claims is still on its original engine/ transmission.

So far so good with the truck. Despite the previous owner having way over sized tires on it, it performs adequately. I think having the manual trans helps. I cruise showing 70 on the speedo, which is close to 75, actual.

I am not real particular about this truck. I do like educating myself about the 4.2 though.

A good friend owns one in a E-150 van. I've driven it several times over the years when we team up an bigger projects. I have the 4.9L in mine and there is no comparison between the two engines. Mine will out pull his any day of the week. His does rev up faster but the torque goes to the 4.9L. I'm glad I wasn't in the market for a van during the run of those engines.
27.gif

Thats OK. I rarely tow, and if I do, its only a lightweight trailer with just some furniture or something.

This truck will be used a commuter vehicle for a year or so, then it will be used as a "go to the dump" or "haul an appliance on occasion" truck.

For your purpose, the 4.2 should be fine. I have the Chevy equivalent (4.3 V-6) and I chose it for slightly better gas mileage and a good reputation (which your 4.2 has also). It's not a race truck, but it gets me up to speed just fine except when I'm towing my 3,000# boat.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I have the Chevy equivalent (4.3 V-6)

Funny you mention that! I got this old Ford to replace the 1997 (4.3 V-6) Chevy I inherited from my Dad. I took excellent care of it, and now that my youngest son is driving, I gave him "Paw-Paw's truck".

I wish my Dad could have been around to see it get passed down to his grandson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back