Ford F-150 w/ EB V6 - internal chain-driven water pump?

Guys - Talking with a friend earlier today, who was pretty sure that the Ford F-150 Eco-boost engines (2.7 and 3.5 l) all have the dreaded internal chain-driven water pump.

I was skeptical; I thought that only the Duratec V6 engines had the internal water pump, and only when the engine was transversely mounted (e. g. in the Ford Taurus, Flex, Explorer ...), to allow the engine to fit sideways.

I thought that all of the "North-South" Duratec V6 engines had a conventional external water pump.

As far as the Eco-boost engines, I was unaware that any of them, whether installed transversely or longitudinally, had an internal water pump.

Specifically, I would have assumed that the F-150, with a longitudinal engine, would have had an external water pump, regardless of whether the engine was EB or not.

Please educate me!

I always referred to the newer 3.0L/3.3L/3.5L/3.7L engines as the Cyclone V6. All longitudinal applications have a belt driven water pump, And all the traverse applications are timing chain driven.

The Duratec V6 was the older 2.5L & 3.0L with the water pump driven by a belt off the Bank 2 exhaust cam.

The tranverse EcoBoosts have the internal chain driven pump. We have replaced many of them.
Oh ok I forgot about the transverse EcoBoost ones I helped my friend do one it really sucked. Luckily I work for a brand that doesn’t put water pumps in those spots lol.

Back