1997 Chevy Cavalier failed emissions testing

I'll include some pics. It passed two years ago but barely. I know one or multiple fuel injectors are leaking a tiny bit. I'm thinking one of the fuel injectors are clogged. I thought high HC was due to unburned fuel. Thanks for any help.

20240605_115105.jpg

17176107405671725544327227448841.jpg

I'll include some pics. It passed two years ago but barely. I know one or multiple fuel injectors are leaking a tiny bit. I'm thinking one of the fuel injectors are clogged. I thought high HC was due to unburned fuel. Thanks for any help.

View attachment 223254

View attachment 223255
Here is what helped me back in the 80's and 90's.

1) I would pull up to the Emissions Station, well around the corner, and I had a fresh air filter that I only put on for the Testing, when I passed, I would drive around the corner and put back on my other air filter.

2) Brand new Oil and Oil Filter was done before the test.

3) Brand new Spark Plugs, I never did that because 1 and 2 Worked, and yes there was a time where I did not do number 2

4) Here is the most important thing that I did before a Test, drive the car for like 30 minutes before the test, and Floor the car, a few times I did see a nice puff of smoke.

I've heard of using denatured alcohol or 91% rubbing alcohol. That stuff is just diesel fuel, check the MSDS.

Screenshot 2024-06-05 112422.jpg

Cat is probably bad. I'm surprised they're using a sniffer on an OBD2 car.
The high nox isn't usually catalytic converter related.
A quick Google search suggests that the catalytic converter reduces HC, CO, and NOx by "converting" it into CO2, N, and H2O.
So this test, showing high HC and NOx, is consistent with a catalytic converter that is missing or defective. Cats don't last forever and at 150k miles maybe it is at the end of its life. Of course, it could be something else too.

4) Here is the most important thing that I did before a Test, drive the car for like 30 minutes before the test, and Floor the car, a few times I did see a nice puff of smoke.
Yep, that can be quite effective.

BTW, @97prizm put his license plate & VIN on the internet. You might want to redact that.

A quick Google search suggests that the catalytic converter reduces HC, CO, and NOx by "converting" it into CO2, N, and H2O.
So this test, showing high HC and NOx, is consistent with a catalytic converter that is missing or defective. Cats don't last forever and at 150k miles maybe it is at the end of its life. Of course, it could be something else too.

Yep, that can be quite effective.

BTW, @97prizm put his license plate & VIN on the internet. You might want to redact that.

That was a good Catch on the License Plate and Vin!

Time for a good old italian tune up!!!

Lock it in the lowest gear where you can maintain highway speeds without redlining it. Get the engine good and warm...drive it 5-10 miles like that at high engine RPM. Floor it to redline, let off and let it engine brake back down to the speed limit...repeat a few times.

I bet it will pass after that.

Time for a good old italian tune up!!!

Lock it in the lowest gear where you can maintain highway speeds without redlining it. Get the engine good and warm...drive it 5-10 miles like that at high engine RPM. Floor it to redline, let off and let it engine brake back down to the speed limit...repeat a few times.

I bet it will pass after that.

That doesn't sound like a great idea.

Why? I do it before every oil change on my cars...have for years. Not needed on my truck if I towed my boat recently, and not needed on my AutoX car for obvious reasons.

What's the objective? Clear out some carbon buildup that may or may not be present in the combustion chamber? This will not burn off any carbon that is there. Also, this is failing due to some mechanical failure, not carbon build up that an "Italian tune-up" will fix.

Back