1996 Mazda B3000 4x2: Oil for Cold Winters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the past two winters, my 1996 Mazda B3000 4x2 truck has been parked (odo is just over 150,000 km or 90,000 miles). However, I am considering using it on a part time basis this winter.

Currently, it has 10W30 conventional oil (change done around May or June 2011). Normally, I would use 5W30 conventional oil...in the recent past, I have had an ongoing minor oil leak...apparently stopped leaking oil after I switched to 10W30. My mechanic told me that he would have to drop the oil pan in order to fix the oil leak. I didn't want spend very much $$$ on an older truck....and therefore, left it as is (leak with 5W30; NO leak with 10W30; all conventional oil).

Winters usually go down to as cold as -40 deg C/F (in the long past was reported to go down to -50 deg C or -58 deg F). Long stretches down to -25 to -30 deg C (-13 to -22 deg F). Usually only a few days to a week below -30 deg C (-22 deg F).

Recommendations?

If it's too cold, snowy or icy, I can use my Ranger 4x4 instead. Cutoff temp for the Mazda: -20 deg C (-4 deg F)?

BTW, I have a new battery this spring. Also, have a block heater and can use a 2A smart trickle charger as needed.

Thanks.

Dave

Last edited:
i would recommend a syn 0w 30 at that cold of a temp. How far do you drive? If short trip perhaps a 5w 20 as it may not get hot enough to reach the 20w rating. Or a 5w 30 conventional with mmo. better to add a bit than start it with thick oil and starve bearings and valve guides.

You have some great Esso fleet 0w30 and 0w40 for reasonable prices. That'll do great.

Think of the driveline stuff that you won't be spinning when it's cold if you take the 4x2. No parts like to rotate when it's that cold; keep the count down, keep it simple, IMO.

Spend a few bucks on synthetic power steering fluid. One quart can probably do both trucks. I hate the howl.
wink.gif

with the block heater and trickle charger I would use 5w30 conventional. Mazda's (ford) aren't too picky. This 0w oil fad will pass too. Why waste a bunch of cash on 0w synthetic when you barely use the truck. I know how expensive oil is in Canada.
I would spend extra for synthetic ps fluid. I have had great results with amsoil trans fluid in the ps. No more stiffness or shudder.

Originally Posted By: DavidY
My mechanic told me that he would have to drop the oil pan in order to fix the oil leak. I didn't want spend very much $$$ on an older truck....and therefore, left it as is (leak with 5W30; NO leak with 10W30; all conventional oil).

Winters usually go down to as cold as -40 deg C/F (in the long past was reported to go down to -50 deg C or -58 deg F). Long stretches down to -25 to -30 deg C (-13 to -22 deg F). Usually only a few days to a week below -30 deg C (-22 deg F).

Valvoline MaxLife 5w-30. It did wonders on my leaking F-150. It won't work instantly, so don't expect the leaks to vanish (or even reduce) the second you put the oil in. It may take a couple OCIs.

It worked fine in our winters, too. I realize you're in the Interior, but it's hard not to laugh when someone from BC talks about "winter." Either way, the MaxLife 5w-30 works just fine in as cold as you'll get it.

Unless you fix the leak, filling with synthetics is the equivalent of dumping a portion of the bottle on the ground, and with the cost of oil in this country, there's little point in that.

Get as low a first number as you can. 0 is better than 5, which is better than 10.
If you get '0', you probably have a full synthetic.
But it is almost necessary in the conditions you will encounter.

Thanks all.

Valvoline Maxlife it is for the next oil change. Will make a decision about either 5W30 or 10W30 at that time.

Will be letting the truck go soon anyways.

Dave

Going with 5W30 Maxlife next week...hope that it won't leak much this winter (keeping my fingers crossed)...suppose to be a cold winter this year.
frown.gif

Dave

Since the Vulcan 3.0L is on the Ford 5W20 Approved List I would use Motorcraft 5W20 Blend from WalMart in the USA. Not sure if its a good deal in Canada or not.

We don't get the same MC blend up here that you do down there.

Up here, Imperial/Esso makes the MC oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back