1995 Honda Accord Broken Exhaust Stud HELP!

Much simpler to drive in a bolt if you have the room, then it would be to install a stud and hope the installation tool comes off without unscrewing the stud with it.

Much simpler to drive in a bolt if you have the room, then it would be to install a stud and hope the installation tool comes off without unscrewing the stud with it.
A Bolt smaller than 8 X 1.25mm. I looked in my tap n die kit. I see a 6 X 1.00mm. not comfortable with the 1.00mm. I would need the sae equivalent of a 1.25 pitch with a 12mm head?

I Had an Exhaust Leak, I attemped to remove the Broken Stub, It snapped off in the Head. I drilled out a hole for an easy out. I had a drill bit break off in the hole. I used a dremmel tool to remove the broken drill bit. This is where I am at, close to the threads, how should I proceed?
You are almost there keep going with the next size up until only the threads are left then pick them out.

I did It!!. I used the 1/4-20 Tap. Now should I order a stud or just use a Bolt. The Bolt that I have was just a bit long. Thank you for all your Help!

This Forum is invaluable!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20220313_144943187.jpg
    IMG_20220313_144943187.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20220313_145102768_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220313_145102768_HDR.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20220313_142851155_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220313_142851155_HDR.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20220313_151924397.jpg
    IMG_20220313_151924397.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 58
Now should I order a stud or just use a Bolt. The Bolt that I have was just a bit long.
I think you should use the bolt that you already have and just add 2 or 3 washers to compensate for the added length. By using a bolt instead of a stud, it should remind you (or signify to a mechanic/future owner) that it is not a standard OEM fastener.

A 1/4-20 bolt is not a good alternative for an 8mm stud, longivity may be an issue. Having to do a job twice sucks.
I would have needed to drill out the remaining stud, not sure if I would have been able to Tap the hole as a 8mm thread after that. I did not want to go oversized then need to install an insert. I have no experience doing that. Right now I will be steel on steel with coarser threads than a 6-1.00mm bolt. The old stud was effectively welded in, I will keep an eye on it. I ordered some high quality ARP bolts, not to crazy about the hardware store grade 8 bolt that I sourced locally.

It will be interesting to see how long this bolt lasts instead of a stud. Studs by their very nature can withstand much greater pressure than a bolt (without going into all the physics/engineering of it). But let us know how long this fix lasts. The biggest part and I know from previous experience is the relief that you got it done! congrats. I bet that feels awesome! love how clean that 93 accord looks! Nothing like that here in Michigan! I know, rust.. but just wow

I think every F22B2 engine on the planet has a broken stud at that position. I'm not sure why but they do. Good that you got it done, I had to so that on my old Accord but I used a Helicoil and a replacement Honda stud.

It will be interesting to see how long this bolt lasts instead of a stud. Studs by their very nature can withstand much greater pressure than a bolt (without going into all the physics/engineering of it). But let us know how long this fix lasts. The biggest part and I know from previous experience is the relief that you got it done! congrats. I bet that feels awesome! love how clean that 93 accord looks! Nothing like that here in Michigan! I know, rust.. but just wow
Thanks for the compliment, the car is actually my daughter's, we picked it up in Arizona a couple months ago. It's a special car, mostly everything has been restored with OEM Honda parts. Steering rack, clutch, timing components, all suspension bushings, springs, AC system, PS pump, suspension bushings. The body is flawless. I did swap out the exhaust manifold and A pipe with used parts. The EX manifold just flows better. This is a 1995, I also have a 1993 with 280k that I daily drive and 1991 with only 110k on it. Great cars that are relatively easy to work on.

I think every F22B2 engine on the planet has a broken stud at that position. I'm not sure why but they do. Good that you got it done, I had to so that on my old Accord but I used a Helicoil and a replacement Honda stud.
Next time I will drill out a little bit more and attempt to tap with 8X 1.25. the alternator and PS pump are easy to remove on this car.

Back