1995 Honda Accord Broken Exhaust Stud HELP!

I Had an Exhaust Leak, I attemped to remove the Broken Stub, It snapped off in the Head. I drilled out a hole for an easy out. I had a drill bit break off in the hole. I used a dremmel tool to remove the broken drill bit. This is where I am at, close to the threads, how should I proceed?

Attachments

• IMG_20220307_101006253_PORTRAIT (1).jpg
    IMG_20220307_101006253_PORTRAIT (1).jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20220312_114621198_HDR (1).jpg
    IMG_20220312_114621198_HDR (1).jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 110
How deep is the drilled hole? If deep enough to jam a square extractor into, I'd give that a try. I've had good luck with them.

My go to in this situation is welding a nut or building up my own stud to bite with some vise grips.

I certainly agree with the left hand drill bits. From the pictures, it doesn't look like falling chips would cause any harm, you're OUTSIDE the engine. My two cents is that I would try to start a tap matching the original thread size and simply clean out what's left of the stud. Then your hole is as good as new. If the tap won't start, I'd judiciously use the dremmel a little more. Of course, you may consider my advice worth what you've paid for it.

About a half inch, a regular extractor will not go in far enoughf. The vise grips slip then I get concerned that the extractor will break off.

About a half inch, a regular extractor will not go in far enoughf. The vise grips slip then I get concerned that the extractor will break off.

Ok, if you have a welder (or a buddy with one), I'd recommend building up that stud to get it out. I had to do this on just about every stud on my 4runner last year when replacing the exhaust manifolds.

1647125694085.jpg

Tight to the top of threads then chase out with a tap.
So here are my options;

1. Tap one size smaller and use a smaller stud or bolt.

2. Use a reverse drill bit, then tap out the hole with a 8 X 1.25 chaser. (I think that is the correct size I will verify)

3. Try to tap the Hole with a 8 X 1.25 chaser first if it will start?

Last edited:
Those studs will be 8x1.25. Fortunately you've been drilling right at the center so it may even be possible to reuse the original threads. The reverse bit should grab the part of the stud, but not be so large that it hits the head. Hopefully it will catch on what is left of the stud and spin it out.

Those studs will be 8x1.25. Fortunately you've been drilling right at the center so it may even be possible to reuse the original threads. The reverse bit should grab the part of the stud, but not be so large that it hits the head. Hopefully it will catch on what is left of the stud and spin it out.
Do I run the reverse bit fast or slow?

The reverse bit should grab the part of the stud, but not be so large that it hits the head. Hopefully it will catch on what is left of the stud and spin it out.
The steel stud already broke in the aluminum head because the dissimilar metals caused corrosion between the two and effectively welded it in. Reverse bit won't overcome that and would just bugger up the hole in which he could tap for a smaller size. Been there done that.

The steel stud already broke in the aluminum head because the dissimilar metals caused corrosion between the two and effectively welded it in. Reverse bit won't overcome that and would just bugger up the hole in which he could tap for a smaller size. Been there done that.
I agree, the stud is welded. So I need to round up a smaller size stud? Or just use a bolt?

Back