Broke EZ Out in Exhaust Manifold Stud

Status
Not open for further replies.
If only we lived in a world where higher asking price equates to better worth.

Considering it will only take him 12 minutes to do this job, his price is in fact the only realistic price.

The labor rate where I work is 109/hour. And I wouldn't quote less than an hour to take care of a cluster-[censored] like this.

Ain't these shade-tree projects fun?

That was a rough comment and undeserved. As I told you before the shop owner, by taking on your problem, takes on additional risk associated with a probability of further unforeseen error or customer cover up. One has to build in contingency monies. Heck just breaking a carbide cutter on one of these jobs could cost me $30. The equipment to adequately perform precision machining operations isn't inexpensive either(tens of thousands of dollars vs. typical tools). I really hope the guy hooks you up, but I'm just saying as a quite reasonable person who works in the business I wouldn't do it for that price...that should tell you something.

Tom I have an idea for the welding thing on the suspension - photo to come soon for that thread, once it stops raining here. Basically I was thinking grind the hole big with the carbide burr, enough to drop the old piece out and fit in an M14 Cap Screw with a fender washer or regular M14 washer, then loosely have that head and the washer inside the hollow part, then simply build up the metal with the MIG (or weld in some new metal) around the open part that I grinded off, but the bolt head and the washer will be inside still kind of loosely, not welded. Then simply CLAMP the assembly shut with a hex nut on the suspesion end, and the fender washer inside should spread the load over a wider area.

Onion:
Sure the shop owner can quote what he wants, but the kind of guys that leave opened ended quotes simply won't get my money. In my world, price is king, if you can't provide a price for what your selling, I simply go to the next trade. Machine shops around here are a dime a dozen, there's tons of them in this big city, and most have been in business for years and I would bet most have similar equipment, and most will compete with each other just to get the business.

Pickled: Sure I see where you coming at, and all that is to be built into his asking price - but the point is repair guys who never have a set price are just trying to weasel their way into getting more money, depending on their mood or the color of your shoelaces on the day I go to pay, so he who has no price, get's no money. Plant & Machinery assets are capital assets, and their replacement cost is the cost to the corporation, not to be passed on to the customer on a select job basis (although some may try). In other words, it's the companies problem - not mine.

If a shop was using the 2-pole lift and for some reason my car caused one of the arms to break - they certainly wouldn't get away with charging me for the repair of their lift.

Last edited:
Tosh - I don't know him but he's a race engine builder and a race car driver (stock cars? I'm not sure i'll find out) and his shop is in business for 35 yrs, but we talked about my overhaul before and he said he was impressed that a young guy like me was attempting it himself.

Tooling is a consumable in our world and is factored into every unique job...like shop supplies you get billed for if you take your car into an automotive repair shop. I see where you are coming from on the guys that won't offer a quote though. I always want an estimate as well. Sometimes though you have to factor in reputation, service and willingness to correct a problem as part of the total cost of services. This 35 year guy sounds like he'll do you right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back