Express van removal of broken exhaust stud without removing manifold?

While I'm swapping transmissions in my express van, I decided to repair two broken exhaust manifold bolts. It is the rear most bolt on both drivers and passengers side. I got the driver's side exhaust manifold completely off without too much fuss. The passenger side looks a little tighter quarters. Anyone have any ideas to remove the bolt pictured without removing the exhaust manifold?

My right angle drill is too large to hit the broken bolts square with a drill bit to drill it out. Looking for ideas and advice. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• PXL_20220526_030212251.MP~2.jpg
    PXL_20220526_030212251.MP~2.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 79
  • PXL_20220526_025513750.jpg
    PXL_20220526_025513750.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 79
I had the same position bolt on a Cadillac 425 drilled out by a mechanic who tack welded the drill bits to an air ratchet. The air ratchet was compact enough to fit in the available space. The drill bits had to be cut to a shorter length as well.

In a similar situation, where my angle drill wouldn’t fit, even with the shortest bit, I used an angle driver attachment like this:

into which I chucked an impact bit. The whole combo was about half an inch shorter than my right angle drill, which was just enough.

It's going to be difficult to drill the passenger side one straight.

Removing the manifold is likely best.....Then you can try the double nut trick again, But don't be surprised if the bolt breaks off a little below flush. You got lucky getting the drivers side bolt out in one piece.

Buy a set of ARP bolts part# 134-1102.

Back