1994 accord oil user

Status
Not open for further replies.
this summer I bought a 1994 accord lx w/155k that turns out to be an oil user. about every 3 weeks that is 800-1000 miles. pcv valve changed I have to add at least 1qt of oil. I am do for an oil change what would a good oil be to use to help slow down the oil consumption down being cold weather is just around the corner I cannot to thick.

A HM oil like Pennzoil may slow the consumption; the Pennzoil HM is available in 5W30, 10W30, and 10W40.

Alternatively, you might consider a 5W-40 like Rotella T6.

almost everyone on here is going to tell you to put a HM oil in it (High Miliage) many say they do well at helping this sort of thing.. Q. are you sure your burning it or are you just sure your loosing it ? Valvoline HM seems to be a very popular go to in these threads FYI.

Last edited:
do not notice any smoke when I start it.leaks around the valve cover but not enough to use that much oil no oil spots on the driveway and not dripping on the exhaust manifold. the 2 middle plugs had oil in them when I changed plugs couple weeks ago. my old 89 accord had 287k on it an maybe use a qt every 5k and I smelled it burning off the exhaust.

Last edited:
i have a very simple test for determining if the car is an oil burner..it's not a scientific test but it is a good indicator.

Visually inspect the exhaust tips...if there is a build up of carbon, good chance that the carbon you see is oil being burned up. If the layer looks especially thick, i would avoid the car. This test isnt always correct as some cars naturally spit out a lot of carbon.

Originally Posted By: garlicbreadman
i have a very simple test for determining if the car is an oil burner..it's not a scientific test but it is a good indicator.

Visually inspect the exhaust tips...if there is a build up of carbon, good chance that the carbon you see is oil being burned up. If the layer looks especially thick, i would avoid the car. This test isnt always correct as some cars naturally spit out a lot of carbon.

I've found my Honda's always have a steady build up of carbon on the exhaust, even the stock ones. That test is fairly irrelevant and I would never base the age or quality of the motor on that alone.

given it's age/mileage and unknown service history, I wouldn't be all that surprised that either the oil control rings are jammed, valve stem seals hardened or a combination of both.

Once your engine reached that stage, nothing can help to slow down the oil consumption rate except an engine overhaul.

Q.

Try Valvoline Maxlife blend or Mobil Super High mileage blend. The MSHM stopped minor burning in my 02 Accord with 130,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back