1993 Chevrolet Blazer running thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cmorr
Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs

Any chance that hood dent wont let him get inspected?

That dent looks like a hard front corner hit that somebody pulled out enough to get the hood to the point of opening/closing and looks somewhat normal.

Most certainly structural damage beyond the hood/bumper cover, possible damage to under-hood components, etc. You would want a body shop to look at it and mechanic

The latest: As much as I would love to, I have other obligations that basically make the Honda a no-go. (Plus, I never heard back.) And Mr. Sunfire wants like $1000 or $1500 for his car, so.. No.

So, I will focus on the Blazer, I ordered its 02 sensor, and maybe get a lot of tune-up parts for it when I can afford (which is ?) because it is REALLY bad on gas with that bum 02 sensor.

The saga continues. And yes, I do like the Blazer.

How was my video showing ow it runs, the second night one?

And it just ran perfect on the way over..
smirk.gif

The issue with videos of running cars is it's hard to get a feeling for how much throttle you're giving it, or even the seat of the pants feeling of speed.

However, it is nice that you illustrate what you're talking about, makes helping over the interwebs easier.

Instead of buying parts (except that o2 sensor), go to a tune up shop and have them check your timing! I know you did it, but they may find something unrelated. Just go in there and say you're having issues with emissions.

Well. I had a passenger in there today. Couldn't smell exhaust INside the truck, but when exiting from front passenger door, said she "smelled it strongly."

Could the CAT be backing up, or could the 02 sensor still be making it run so rich as t be stinky exhaust, smellable from outside in the front? Or is that some kind of exhaust leak?

O2 sensor. Repeat after me:

"Replace the O2 sensor."
"Replace the O2 sensor."
"Replace the O2 sensor."
"Replace the O2 sensor."
"Replace the O2 sensor."

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord

"Replace the O2 sensor."
"Replace the O2 sensor."
"Replace the O2 sensor."
"Replace the O2 sensor."
"Replace the O2 sensor."

+1 and GET IT TIMED PROFESSIONALLY.

I can almost garuntee you get it timed and replace the O2 sensors and it will run better.

"Replace the O2 sensor."
"Replace the O2 sensor."
"Replace the O2 sensor."
"Replace the O2 sensor."
"Replace the O2 sensor."

Honestly, I would recommend replacing the spark plug wires before replacing the oxygen sensor if they are as old as it seems they are.

Techno, how old are those spark plug wires?

BC.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

"Replace the O2 sensor."
"Replace the O2 sensor."
"Replace the O2 sensor."
"Replace the O2 sensor."
"Replace the O2 sensor."

Honestly, I would recommend replacing the spark plug wires before replacing the oxygen sensor if they are as old as it seems they are.

Techno, how old are those spark plug wires?

BC.

About a month, though was a cheapy Duralast $25 set, put on questionably.

Again, sometimes, it runs perfectly.......

The latest appears to be that, due to my external coolant leak of water pump or timing chain cover, the coolant was low (I checked the radiator.) I topped off with water, and am debating putting some CLR or flush in there, to really clean it out, as it is leaking anyway. it ran better when topped off with coolant.

I am simply waiting for the 02 sensor to arrive in the mail. And will go from there. Since its 3/4 a tank used on either 120 miles or 160 miles driven, horrible gas mileage...

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs
The latest appears to be that, due to my external coolant leak of water pump or timing chain cover, the coolant was low (I checked the radiator.) I topped off with water, and am debating putting some CLR or flush in there, to really clean it out, as it is leaking anyway. it ran better when topped off with coolant.

I am simply waiting for the 02 sensor to arrive in the mail. And will go from there. Since its 3/4 a tank used on either 120 miles or 160 miles driven, horrible gas mileage...

You put some CLR in there and it is REALLY going to leak. Do you have the money to dump into coolant right now? Into CLR? Why not fix the friggin' timing if you've got that kind of cash kicking around instead of dumping chemicals in the cooling system to "clean it up" ?

Heck, for the price of the CLR you guy buy the bloody water pump and gasket kit and change it out
smirk.gif

You're all over the map. If it isn't the timing, you're thinking of more chemicals. And looking for a $500 car. And thinking of a Volvo.

Is this thing properly timed? If yes, then concentrate on the O2 sensor. If no, then instead of spending money on miracle cures, get it timed by someone who knows how.

Forget about Volvos. Forget about $500 cars. Forget about chemicals. Forget about distributors, spark plug wires, everything except getting it timed right and the O2 sensor replaced.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trajan
Forget about distributors, spark plug wires, everything except getting it timed right and the O2 sensor replaced.

Well, you guys DO have a point that it uses so much gas... Likely culprit is 02 sensor..

It should be coming in the mail this week, that sensor.

Next Q: Should I be able to see the 02 sensor if up and under the car? Or do exhaust pipes have to be lowered, etc

Quote:
Get it freakin' timed properly and put an O2 sensor in it! For the love of friggin' God, you already did plugs and wires, leave the God [censored] thing alone and FIX WHAT IS BROKEN

Believe it or not, these are the next two items on the list, since it just used 3/4 a gallon of gas for 120 or 160 miles again. Perhaps 02 sensor. I know it can get better mileage than that!

Cars drove around for 80 years before they invented oxygen sensors but timing was a big deal. In fact in the model T era there was a lever you could use to adjust the timing from behind the steering wheel.

Don't poison your new o2 sensor with soot from a poorly running/timed engine.. Get the timing right, NOW. It is a fundamental part of how a car runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back