1993 8V92 out of chassis overhaul

Looks are also deceiving this engine is physically massive. I’ll have to get some photos next week for perspective. Had to borrow another shops forklift because ours the ass end would lift off the ground unless you hung 500 lbs off the back of it. Just trying to lift the short block. No heads or water pump, or air compressor and PS pump (gear driven off the back of the motor)
An 8V-92 is about 2400lbs.

In an earlier post I was amazed to learn that there was still one on the road. While they were a good engine in 1940 they can't compare to a newer 4 stroke Diesel.

Most that had these engines replaced them with something newer or replaced the whole truck.

Only time I have seen a " Green leaker" was at a truck show. I have not seen one on the road in a least 30 years.
Local FD has a ladder truck with a 12V71 Detroit; truck is an old Autocar. Fittingly, it's truck 12. Under the LADDER 12 livery, someone airbrushed "The Buzzin Dozen." At full power, the engine drowns out the siren through 5" stacks, and that monster Detroit will pull a 30 ton ladder truck up hills with the cars. One of the deputy chiefs was a DD mechanic. He in-framed it a while back, and turned it up...a little.

Their other ladder truck is also an Autocar, powered by a smoky but strong Cummins Big Cam.

If you ever saw the work involved pulling this engine out the side door of a ladder truck, you would want ZERO chance of it coming back out. With jasper that probability is very high.
Serious question: might it have been easier to lift the body off the frame?

FWIW, I saw government surplus Silver 92s-new on the pallet, reman by DD-for about $6K.

It’s an E-ONE. Back then I don’t think there was any other platform that fit in the space allowable (length) other than the 2 stroke. This one is rated at 500hp
The Cummins Triple Nickel would. But you don't want the 555. Seriously.

No, you do not want that engine!

You might be right bout the fit...a Cummins N14 was a foot longer. A Cummins M11 was only a bit loner than the V8...but nowhere near 500HP.

The Cummins Triple Nickel would. But you don't want the 555. Seriously.

No, you do not want that engine!

You might be right bout the fit...a Cummins N14 was a foot longer. A Cummins M11 was only a bit loner than the V8...but nowhere near 500HP.

The M11 in the trucks that I work on are rated at 450 hp.

Our shop isn’t equipped to safely lift and stabilize the body off the chassis on something like this.

I have a 1993 KME Firefox (non tilt) with an 8V92 and she's pissing oil from the blow by tubes at idle.. does that mean she needs a rebuild? Is it safe to operate for now?

If it’s pouring out then either the blower seals have failed or the motor is tired. A small drip here and there is normal. Does it smoke going down the road or at idle?

It smokes when the motor is cold. Once she warms up it only smokes a little when I get on it from a dead stop. Otherwise, once the motor is warm she doesn't smoke anymore than normal, which is hardly at all.

Back