Oil pouring out of bell hsg.

LS rear main seals rarely leak unless the rear cover wasn't centered over the crankshaft.

The rear cover & gasket is exposed to pressurized oil, As is the Oil Pan & gasket.

I would wash down the engine first so you can more easily locate the leak source. Make sure something silly isn't pouring out oil like a faulty oil pressure switch or sender.

I had my RMS replaced on my 2005 5.3 about 3 years ago by a local 2nd generation transmission shop. $750 out the door including the oil pressure sending unit since it’s easy to access with the transmission out. After the fact, the owner said he used a Dorman plate and seal and I was a bit skeptical but so far it’s been dry with no leaks or drips. I’d definitely make sure it isn’t an oil pressure sending unit or valve cover leak before committing to the transmission pull.
I would also be skeptical of the Dorman part - glad it worked out!

Ok after doing a lot of checking.
At idel no leak, I Rev the engine to 1500k drips a drop or 2 every few seconds(that's a lot).
Coming out of bell hsg for sure.
I did remember i added maybe 16 oz of marvel mystery oil about a month ago.
Did I screw up and this caused my issue.

Ok after doing a lot of checking.
At idel no leak, I Rev the engine to 1500k drips a drop or 2 every few seconds(that's a lot).
Coming out of bell hsg for sure.
I did remember i added maybe 16 oz of marvel mystery oil about a month ago.
Did I screw up and this caused my issue.
Watching it drip isn't going to accomplish much. It's fourth down time, time to punt or go for it.

Going into shop tomorrow.
I'm 100% sure the leak is behind bell hsg.
First time in 35 years a car went to a shop out of warrenty. I hate not being able to do it myself.
Last time I pulled a trany replaced a clutch and a rear main seal I was in my 20's

Last edited:
$1136 for rear main seal and cover seal
No idea good or high price but it will be fixed.

Got the truck back.
They said the rear main seal feel out.
How does this happen 18 years later?
He said he has never seen that before

Got the truck back.
They said the rear main seal feel out.
How does this happen 18 years later?
He said he has never seen that before
Extreme crank case pressure or excessive crank thrust can be 2 things off the top of my head. A bit far fetched but the seal could have just gotten hard and brittle and just “popped out” of rear cover. Again that is grasping at straws

Excessive crankcase pressure?

I have a hard time believing the seal could just harden up and fall out.

Did you clean the pcv valve after you noticed the leak but before it went to the dealer?

Excessive crankcase pressure?

I have a hard time believing the seal could just harden up and fall out.

Did you clean the pcv valve after you noticed the leak but before it went to the dealer?
If I recall that PC v valve does not have a ball inside of it. It's a thru hole model and no I did not look at it.

Do you have an extreme amount of blowby? I've heard of engines blowing out the dipstick hole, but not blowing out the RMS. I sure hope he put the Speedi Seal on the crank at that many miles...

Do you have an extreme amount of blowby? I've heard of engines blowing out the dipstick hole, but not blowing out the RMS. I sure hope he put the Speedi Seal on the crank at that many miles...
Checked pvc good, no clog. I have great vacuum when I pull the pvc hose off valve cover when running. I guess we will see what happens from here

Back