1978 Ford thunderbird 400 6.6L 12 quarts of make up in 3k miles!

Here’s a beauty. Firstly, some of the oil seeps out of the car, but a lot burns. Getting on the gas leaves a nice cloud behind. Colder months slows down the seeping, which is why the consumption was lower over the winter. Was In a discussion with I believe it was @MolaKule over what the oil “takes with it” when there is consumption. I added rislone zzdp and the levels show that the zddp also got sent out the tailpipe and ended up on my garage floor. So here begs the question, which has been discussed before, naturally, but with these results do you even have to change the oil on a burner like this? It seems the oil takes dirt and wear metals with it. I may post a thread in the PCMO section to discuss this. Happy Labor Day everyone!

Attachments

• 90CEBE80-CE6E-4D3A-B7CD-0839AE038CF3.jpeg
    90CEBE80-CE6E-4D3A-B7CD-0839AE038CF3.jpeg
    191.9 KB · Views: 158
The oil report looks good until you look at the make up oil. I had an oil burner like that once too (coincidentally also a Ford V8). It had bad rings. Smoked on deceleration like anything.

I gave it away. The new owner had the engine rebuilt. Problem solved.

Keep on trucking brother! No need to get carried away with repairs, just let it smoke. Something romantic about stopping at a light and having a cloud follow you and then roll into the intersection after you’ve stopped. Drove a car like that for nearly a decade; carbon footprint? You bet! Find the cheapest oil you can buy and keep it filled up. My car, a ‘70 Camaro, towards the end was digesting 75w-90 hypoid gear oil at a quart per 200 miles before I let her go. It’s called getting every last mile out of a car.

I am surprised you aren't fouling spark plugs. If your PCV system is good, I would bet your valve seals have crumbled due to age. With such a good report, TBN still good, all that oil being added, I would run your oil change interval out to atleast 5k miles. Nothing is accomplished by changing it out at 3k miles.

is the car pretty mint? probably worth fixing.. is the engine just worn out or you think its valves/seals?

I am surprised you aren't fouling spark plugs. If your PCV system is good, I would bet your valve seals have crumbled due to age. With such a good report, TBN still good, all that oil being added, I would run your oil change interval out to atleast 5k miles. Nothing is accomplished by changing it out at 3k miles.
Why would he change the oil ? It is basically getting changed every 1000 miles already.

Back