1968 Camaro 454

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mustangguy
I'm not too familiar with the usage of diesel oil. So I'd use 100% diesel for the oil change and run it for the standard 3k miles?

Diesel oil contains more ZDDP which your flat tappett engine may need but I would stick to the 30wt grade.
I actually prefer the Amsoil HDD 5W-30 diesel oil to the their heavier Z-Rod 10W-30.
Another option is Joe Gibbs Hot Rod 10W-30 which many speed shops carry.
Or Quakers State Defy 5W-30.
Or M1 HM 5W-30.

I prefer the 5W-30 grade as it's generally a bit lighter although still heavier than the 10W-30 oils back in the day.

Those engines used oil at 800 miles/qt.
Expect a perpetual oil change!
If not, you are very lucky.

With that engne and in your location:
I'd use a Heavy Duty Engine Oil [HDEO] in 15-40. Cheap , readily available, and very suited for your engine.

ok so what's the ratio of diesel to conventional?

A diesel oil typically has about 1,000 ppm of phosphorus vs about only 600 ppm for a typical 5W-30 PCMO.
I don't know if you really need that much phos' but the oil's I've suggested do have the higher levels.

15w40 is an easy choice for a BBC in warm weather. I have several friends with 454 powered hot rods that use 15w40 with great results. Most fire stations that have older trucks with 427s or 454s use 15w40 as well.

10 mpg sounds pretty good compared to the 454s in our boat...that averages about 2 mpg.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: azsynthetic
Lets see now, you got a used unknown history low rev high output engine looking to be cleaned. Sounds like a candidate for any of the diesel oil available from your local auto part stores. I would run either Rotella or Delo 15W40 and call it a day.

+1, though I would add Delvac to the list.

Just like these guys say. Diesel grade engine oils are just the ticket these type engines. A few years ago I had a 1968 Olds 98 Holiday Coupe with a 425 Super Rocket in it. Rotella worked great for me but any of the 3 stated above would work just as well.

When my Dad bought his Suburban new in 1991 he ran the factory fill oil in it for 3,000 miles then switched over to 15w-40 Deisel grade engine oil for the rest of it's life. It now has well over 400,000 miles on the engine and still running strong. (we bought our oil in bulk for the family construction business)

Last edited:
Is a picture worth a 1000 words?

0002396839804_500X500.jpg

I am going to use the Amsoil Engine Flush, one of the three 15W-40 oils mentioned (Delo, Rotella or Delvac), and a napa gold filter tomorrow. Oil pressure I notice has sometimes been running low (20-30) in conjuction with the ticking noise when the car has been running for a while (never runs hot). I'll report results.

Last edited:
Oil pressure I notice has sometimes been running low (20-30) in conjuction with the ticking noise when the car has been running for a while (never runs hot).

OP is certainly the proper way to select the correct oil viscosity. 20-30 psi is not low for idle but would definitely be at elevated rev's. If they are on idle figures I for one would not want to run a low VI 15W-40 oil which will increase the OP substantially especially when cold.

Yes the 15W-40 grade is dirt cheap, but that's it's sole advantage in my mind.

I run a 10W-40 in the 396 Big block in my 70 Monte Carlo. I tried 10W-30 but was not happy with the oil pressure and it was a little noisy. I only have about 12,000 miles on the engine since it was rebuilt.

Wayne

Nice looking car. It must be a bit "squirrely" with all that low end torque.

On a more sombre note - It isn't uncommon for these engines eat a lobe or two from the stock camshaft. I would pull the valve covers and give everything a good check-over as you rotate the engine. If you see a rocker arm that travels less than the others...there is a good chance that lobe is lost to history. If everything appears in order, check that each pushrod has some preload and adjust the valves if necessary.

I ran the Amsoil flush for 20 minutes at a fast idle of about 1000-1200 rpm prior to the oil change. The oil was light - medium brown prior to the flush. The car went up on a lift to have the oil drained. It came out black, so the flush seemed to be effective.

I used the 15W-40 Delo with a Napa Gold filter. So far, so good. It turns out I was low on oil (only about 2 quarts came out by my eye), so the ticking I was experiencing perhaps had more to do with the lack of oil.

It looks like the dipstick in my 454 is too long perhaps and incorrect, because oil readings prior to the oil change were normal (full). I'll create another thread on that one in the mechanical section.

Thanks for your help guys.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back