1967 Triumph TR4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vet I use has a 1967 Tr4.Had engine rebuilt never drove and put in dry storage for 5 years.Anyhow just got MORE work done and auto is back on the streets.What WEIGHT OIL does this car need.He has no clue.Runs great,smokes some and holds 7qts?

quote:

Originally posted by Johnny:
Fond memories indeed. A good 20W50 is what was recommended in 67 and that's what I used in mine.

Very fond memories of my misspent youth
grin.gif
. I briefly had a 1964 TR3 that doubled as a mosquito fogger in the summer
rolleyes.gif
. I used 20W-50 and even straight 50 in the summer to try to slow the oil burning. I had to give it up for something more reliable and less "smokey".

Whimsey

I'd start with 15-40 delo for the moly.
You can work your way thicker. For cheaper but nice moly - 10-40 Chevron Supreme or a mix with 20-50 Chevron Supreme. Or the same mix with a good sale SM like Pennzoil, Castrol, Havoline.
All the engish stuff had 20-50 listed but I don't think you need it other than for smoke.

What's in there now?

How did you clean up the old gas in the carbs?

Hi,My first ride in '66 was a '64 TR-4.As I recall(or don't)I put straight 30wt or 10w40 or whatever Castrol was available.The old 4 banger was an english tractor motor, me thinks? What a blast racing my friend in his '57 Chevy at over 100mph.I won with one hand on the wheel. He was all but out of control on that day.What memories!!
Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back