1931 Ford Model A

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok my buddy argues with me he Has to put non detergent oil or his engine will explode.
I know that sludge oil is wearing down his engine in a big hurry, not to mention it is full of sludge.
the engine is a 4 cylinder original 25,000 mile survivor.
I say clean out the engine and use 10w40 Amsoil oil and enjoy the new found power and smoothness, but my buddy says the MANUAL calls for non detergent oil! I want to slap this guy!
07.gif

Last edited:
You may be right, but is it worth arguing about?

Oh wait, that's what the BITOG forums are founded upon, arguing over oil.

Nevermind....

Get some Excell non-detergent 30w at WM and add 1 quart of detergent 30w and that will be enough to gently clean that thing. Amsoil would kill that engine in 100 miles. All the gaskets would dissolve.

Last edited:
Holy cow, a 31 with only 25K. I agree and disagree with you on this one. I would surely want him to use a modern oil, but I would not recommend a PAO/Ester based synthetic. Talk about seal incompatibility. I would recommend something like a Rotella, Delvac, or Delo straight 30W for that little jewel. You might also tell your buddy that's all they made in 1931 and if it were so good we would still be using it.

Originally Posted By: lazaro
I want to slap this guy!
07.gif

That's the best approach to the problem. He's not going to change but at least you will get some stress relief.

If the A doesn't have a real oil filter, the oil should be changed frequently, so Amsoil would be a waste of a $$ long life oil.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Holy cow, a 31 with only 25K. I agree and disagree with you on this one. I would surely want him to use a modern oil, but I would not recommend a PAO/Ester based synthetic. Talk about seal incompatibility. I would recommend something like a Rotella, Delvac, or Delo straight 30W for that little jewel. You might also tell your buddy that's all they made in 1931 and if it were so good we would still be using it.

Good points. A "new" oil may actually damage seals etc. So your buddy may be right, and simply changing it frequently is the best choice.

My cousin has one of those thats all original. Its been in the
family for over 60 years. He only puts about 250 miles per year
on it. He uses 30W delo and changes it once a year.

You can remind him that a factory manual will never recommend lubes that will not be invented for another 50+ years.

But take it easy with the exotics.

The dino diesel oil sounds great for this car.

I'd like to think that a good GPII or GPII+ of about 10w-30 would be fine. GTX, Kendall, Penn YB or any quality dino would be OK.

What would one use in an air cooled VW? Probably work just as well in this oldie but goodie.

Don't think I would want to use a multi-vis oil in an old A Model. But a good straight weight Castrol, Kendall, Pennzoil, Valvoline would do just fine.

Originally Posted By: XS650
I want to slap this guy!
07.gif

That's the best approach to the problem. He's not going to change but at least you will get some stress relief.

If the A doesn't have a real oil filter, the oil should be changed frequently, so Amsoil would be a waste of a $$ long life oil.

This is a long time buddy of mine, he does use Amsoil 25,000 mile OCI in his regular vehicles, but we go round and round on the model A. I think yes it may leak oil, but so what! he drives it maybe 40 miles a month, once the Amsoil is in it wont shed metal anymore or make any sludge so the leak will be a minimal issue simply cause he wont put enough miles to have to have a drum of oil in the rumble seat to keep the engine full

So I'd say the long time buddy status is far more important than getting him to use the oil you want him to use.

Besides, if he lunches the engine, then you guys can have a grand old time rebuilding it.

.....I say clean out the engine and use 10w40 Amsoil oil and enjoy the new found power and smoothness, but my buddy says the MANUAL calls for non detergent oil! I want to slap this guy!
07.gif

That was smart of your buddy not to take your advice.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
So I'd say the long time buddy status is far more important than getting him to use the oil you want him to use.

Besides, if he lunches the engine, then you guys can have a grand old time rebuilding it.

I have a bag of rubber bands already
19.gif

he also has the original FOMOCO 600weight oil/grease for the transmission and the rear end, and swears the factory recommended stuff is what belongs in there!
I just want to slap him anyway!
06.gif

Don't hit. Instead let him read your post and the replies. Have fun rebuilding her! Oh and I recommend you call those guys who make the classic car oil. See what they say. Don't buy their oil of course it is way expensive. Just see what they recommend for this model and buy the civilian equal.

If it were me, I'd pull the engine apart, clean it up, freshen it up as needed and use a modern, single grade HDEO.

There seems to be much controversy with respect to detergent/non-detergent oils and poured Babbitt bearings.

Why? I have not been able to find any real reasons.

My wife's uncle has a 1930 Model Ford. I just called him and asked what oil he uses and where he gets it. He said he used Valvoline non detergent 30 grade. He said the number on the case it comes in is VV 265. He buys it by the case of 12 when he goes to some of the car shows.

He said his engine was all original except for spark plugs, wires, and some hose.

He belongs to an organization that has all makes and models of older cars and old style hot rods.(1932 Ford with Chrysler 440 six pack) They have shows from time to time. He hosts a show on his property each summer. They go on overnight road trips and Sunday afternoon pleasure rides.

He also has a reproduction of a 1908 Oldsmobile, I think it is an Oldsmobile. I hate to think what it cost to have someone build that engine.

Amsoil will be the best oil choice . The engine with its high operating temps. sky high rpms and potential H.P output there is no other choice and an added + he will never have to change the oil ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back