'19 Tiguan, my first VW experience

Just got a '19 Tiguan S 4-motion, few frills. 6 year bumper to bumper warranty and reasonable price meant it was the choice.
I like the automatic obstacle avoidance braking feature option. Only option mine has. Plain vanilla inside too. Simple controls for the HVAC.

2.0L turbo, low horsepower at 184 hp. Got to be due to the early intake valve closing Budack cycle they run in this EA888 Gen3B DI DGUA iron block, Al head engine.
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2017/05/20170523-tiguan.html
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2017/06/20170627-tiguan.html
Not a hot rod this one.
Aisin 8-speed conventional automatic works well. They put that thing in about every current Volvo, and many BMWs, Minis, Cadillacs, Toyotas, etc., wow it gets around. AWF8F35 model. No fluid changes they say. I'll probably drop the pan at 10,000 miles, not sure if I should bother yet, just to get out break-in metal dust. If they have a magnet in there then I could leave it alone.

MQB platform is nice to drive. Body doesn't have the bizarre Toyota RAV4 or GMC Terrain styling that makes you cringe. German stylists are more boring, inoffensive. This one blends in. Undercover cops should drive this, like the silver one I got. If it weren't for the long warranty and lower price of this Tiguan (Tiger+Iguana name, not kidding), I might have gotten the sweet CX-5 instead though.

Odd drain plug. Kind of a reusable, yet expendable, plastic o-ring screw-on thing. (Goes with the increasingly more common plastic sump.) I used a penny gripped in large pliers to open & close it, although a large screw driver will also dig into it, while possibly damaging the inside of it due to low torque leverage.

No skid plate or aero cover under the engine. There are mount holes for it though. I'm thinking about getting a hard plastic sheet and mounting one for better aero and protection.

Cartridge oil filter is easy to get to and change on top of the engine. Mann cartridges are the OE ones.

I pulled out the factory oil at 500 miles already and put in some non-spec SNdexos Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 I had leftover, for a few thousand miles for now, until I can put in the spec VW 508 0w-20 that ECS Tuning sent me to start VW's 10,000 mile oil change intervals for the long run. I assume there were metal particles from break-in. I'd like to know what VW does for cylinder wall surface finishing (and maybe cam lobes). Reading about it, looks like multi-step "plateau honing" might be what they use. Break-in should be quick with that.

Owner's Manual says there is increased friction during break-in, and oil consumption could be high for a while.

Its the first Owner's Manual I've seen that actually says you can go a little bit over the cross-hatched area on the dipstick, and they give you some idea of just how much over you can safely go. Most don't get that detailed.

I don't think they use those popular wireless tire pressure sensors attached to the tire valves. Don't have to mess with that. They use wheel rotation differences to detect a tire losing too much air. There is a calibration on the dashboard display to activate once you get all the tires to the rather high-ish 41 psi on the 215/65-17 tires placard spec. Re-do that easy calibration once in a while.

Is the European (Germany, UK, etc.) Tiguan 2.0L the same as the N. American one? Mobil oil's website in Europe says you use VW 508 0w-20 for 10,000 mile intervals, and thicker VW-spec oils if you go 5,000 miles between oil changes, a choice of length & viscosity. The American Owner's Manual doesn't mention anything but strictly VW 508, and they even give dire warnings about using the thick stuff in the states. The power level (184 hp) of the 2.0L turbo engine here is the same as one they sell in Europe, so I guess this is the same identical engine.
I like this Tiguan's styling and they generally stick out for me to see.

Since posting in this thread our 2019 Tiguan was traded after 16 months of ownership. Trade in value was $3,300 less than we paid new and they put it on the lot for more than we originally paid for it :oops: sold before they had a chance to post actual pictures of it but from the listing the VIN matched. Wasn't a bad vehicle, but we don't miss it at all. Of all the vehicles I've owned it was probably my least favorite, but it did the job and still wasn't a bad vehicle. Supposedly they've improved the throttle response which was the biggest complaint.

Salesman asked why I was getting rid of it - I replied it just wasn't for me but would make some soccer mom happy.

Since posting in this thread our 2019 Tiguan was traded after 16 months of ownership. Trade in value was $3,300 less than we paid new and they put it on the lot for more than we originally paid for it :oops: sold before they had a chance to post actual pictures of it but from the listing the VIN matched. Wasn't a bad vehicle, but we don't miss it at all. Of all the vehicles I've owned it was probably my least favorite, but it did the job and still wasn't a bad vehicle. Supposedly they've improved the throttle response which was the biggest complaint.

Salesman asked why I was getting rid of it - I replied it just wasn't for me but would make some soccer mom happy.

We traded our Jetta in for an identical model due to a paint flaw. They listed it for more than we paid for it new! It was listed for more than brand new models on the lot. Go figure.

How about a 1 year review?
Not OP but have a similar generation 2018 Tiguan SE 4motion with 75k miles/3years since new

Pros:
* Still nice to drive
* no issues just maintenance
* a recall for emissions fixed the throttle programming and makes the vehicle more responsive/less jumpy and allows engine to lug a lot less with no penalty in MPG.
* interior holding up
* excellent power off the line in traffic up to 30mph.

Cons:
* Heater is very slow to warm and AC not the strongest (slower to cool) especially compared to my 2015 Honda Pilot
* Engine is oddly noisy when worked (has weird cycle called Budack? maybe reason)

Not OP but have a similar generation 2018 Tiguan SE 4motion with 75k miles/3years since new

Pros:
* Still nice to drive
* a recall for emissions fixed the throttle programming and makes the vehicle more responsive/less jumpy and allows engine to lug a lot less with no penalty in MPG.
* interior holding up

Cons:
* Heater is very slow to warm and AC not the strongest (slower to cool) especially compared to my 2015 Honda Pilot
* Engine is oddly noisy when worked (has weird cycle called Budack? maybe reason)

Looking at one for my wife, nice input. We have several Japanese/Korean smaller SUV's at work, all of them take forever to get warm. IMO it's the small four cylinders coupled with 0w20. Who knows.

If you get the SE or above on the Tiggy you get leatherette with the heated seats though, those things will have you frying in about 3 minutes.

We have had 2 Tiguan loaners (2019 Tiguan S FWD and a 2020 Tiguan S FWD).

I would like to re-iterate the powertrain is Jekyll and Hyde - you are either turtling along at a glacial pace or hurtling along like an avalanche. Does not seem there is a solid middle ground - seems it is either on or off. Engine note is gritty - sounds very tractor like when in glacial mode.

Will say I don't think the above dissuades many consumers as the current Tiguan still sells like hotcakes and has replaced the Jetta as the most popular VW model (US market).

Pros:
* Still nice to drive
* interior holding up

Cons:

Interesting, the A/C worked great in mine, even in Phoenix! I didn't mind the tractor sound from the engine, it quieted down once up to speed. Actually kind of liked it.

We have had 2 Tiguan loaners (2019 Tiguan S FWD and a 2020 Tiguan S FWD).

I would like to re-iterate the powertrain is Jekyll and Hyde - you are either turtling along at a glacial pace or hurtling along like an avalanche. Does not seem there is a solid middle ground - seems it is either on or off. Engine note is gritty - sounds very tractor like when in glacial mode.

Will say I don't think the above dissuades many consumers as the current Tiguan still sells like hotcakes and has replaced the Jetta as the most popular VW model (US market).

Spot on with the powertrain. The other day I was making a left turn with a car in opposing traffic also waiting to make a left. I executed the turn and as soon as I did a Soul appeared out of no where. I floored the Jeep and it immediately took off. The Tiguan would have sat there for a second or two trying to decide what to do before making the chug chug chug sound and accelerating like a snail. Of course when I slow down to go over a speed bump in the neighborhood and barely touch the gas after crossing it the wheels are spinning.

Which brings me to another con on the Tiguan, if you went over a speed bump faster than 1 MPH it sounded like the struts were being pulled out of the strut towers.

Last edited:
Spot on with the powertrain. The other day I was making a left turn with a car in opposing traffic also waiting to make a left. I executed the turn and as soon as I did a Soul appeared out of no where. I floored the Jeep and it immediately took off. The Tiguan would have sat there for a second or two trying to decide what to do before making the chug chug chug sound and accelerating like a snail. Of course when I slow down to go over a speed bump in the neighborhood and barely touch the gas after crossing it the wheels are spinning.

Which brings me to another con on the Tiguan, if you went over a speed bump faster than 1 MPH it sounded like the struts were being pulled out of the strut towers.

^This - my Tiguan loaners did not play nice with the speed bumps in my parking garage at work, sounded like the bottom falling out. My MKV Jetta wagon and MKVII Golf don't sound amiss when traversing the same speed bumps.

The ECM update corrected the entire transmission programming/throttle response so I believe that is a non-issue now. The eco mode now feels like the pre ECU update Normal mode in our 2018.

The strut issue not sure, very occasional creak at odd angles is all I have ever noticed. Weirdly in precarious semi offroading with Tiguan (oddly capable) suspension is pretty quiet. Certain driveway angles it creaks slightly.

Ours is doing great! Not a squeak, groan or knock anywhere. The TCM and ECM update did wonders for the performance.

Back