'16 Stage 3 Golf R Motul Sport 5W40 ~3k miles

MSH

Stage 3 2016 VW Golf R with aftermarket hybrid EQT Vortex Turbo. Full bolt on's, etc running ethanol blends (E30-E40) and full E85
Car makes quite a bit more power than stock... dyno'd @ 510whp/466wtq STD Corrected.
Stock Golf Rs dyno ~260whp-270whp neighborhood
Short 3K OCI at recommendation of the SME's on this board taking into account my use case & UOA data thus far...2nd car that is driven hard a lot...lots of redline pulls, canyon carving/back road ripping, etc.
Moving to 50/50 blend Motul Sport 5W40 & Motul Sport 5W50 for Summer/Fall

Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 4.37.48 PM.jpg

Reactions: a5m
She's a rubber churner ain't she. The oil held up pretty well. Flashpoint. fuel. kv100, and TBN look good. But what about your trans and diff fluid since I thought those golf r's were awd and with the more complex haldex diff of the Audi. I'd be servicing those a lot too. What do you use for them.

She's a rubber churner ain't she. The oil held up pretty well. Flashpoint. fuel. kv100, and TBN look good. But what about your trans and diff fluid since I thought those golf r's were awd and with the more complex haldex diff of the Audi. I'd be servicing those a lot too. What do you use for them.
It definitely gets after it. Suspension is pretty well sorted as well, so it's a lot of fun hammering the twisties here in CO.
So on the DSG and Haldex I'm cutting intervals in half. I bought the car at 30k did the Haldex right away and then did DSG 5k later @ 35k. Factory intervals are every 30k on Haldex and every 40k on the DSG. I'm right at 44k now so I'll be doing the Haldex in the next couple of weeks.

Consider adding an UCL fuel additive to help offset the dryness and lack of lubricity of E85.
Power Plus Top Cylinder Lube, Lucas UCL or even 2 stroke oil at 2 oz/gal fuel if you're cheap!

Looks good even with the Fe...may just be normal for your engine. Good to see the Motul viscosity stay where it should.

Fe 41 ppm is plenty for just 3000 mls. 510 HP along with abuse
('driven hard a lot...lots of redline pulls') is too much for this tiny
engine. Nobody would want to buy that car used (while knowing
its history).
That 2.0 says "hold my beer"!

Fe 41 ppm is plenty for just 3000 mls. 510 HP along with abuse
('driven hard a lot...lots of redline pulls') is too much for this tiny
engine. Nobody would want to buy that car used (while knowing
its history).
Just seeing this now as I just received my most recent UOA back and was posting it.
As I know @TiGeo can attest to my car set up is a dime a dozen on these mk7/7.5 Golf R and GTIs (i.e hybrid turbo, E85 tune+upgraded fueling, etc)
There are loads and loads of people with many more miles than I putting out more power on these "tiny engines" with no issue whatsoever. I actually have the smaller of the hybrid turbos that EQT sells (my tuner and hybrid turbo manufacturer).
VW did a bang up job with this EA888 Gen 3 engine and the ability to handle massive power upgrades. The key is keeping the wtq under 450 ft/lbs. Keep in mind I'm also at high elevation so my actual power figures are about 18% lower when comparing my corrected dyno vd uncorrected dyno figures.
As far as buying the car also not an issue....plenty of people on golfmk7 forums buying already modded cars like this one.
Yes, I absolutely drive it very hard but I'm also a long time 50 y/o+ enthusiast that takes very good care of my cars from a maintenance perspective. With that said I'm very well aware that it's a crap shoot of sorts anytime you are doubling stock power output. My rainy day fund is prepared in the event things go boom.

Last edited:
even earlier 1.8T's were said to be very stout BUT keeping torque "within reason" was said to be key for the engine + especially the drivetrain! when John Lingenfelter was killed testing 1 thou HP 2.0 GM engined compact in the pro sport compact class. an engine is just an air pump, more air + fuel done correctly makes more power to the engines limitations. on that note the article i read about lingenfelters quest he was blowing HOLES in the GM cylinder heads + since Saab was under the GM banner their heads were legally used to handle the crazy BOOST!! remember car shopping in 2001 for economy as my thirsty "classic" V-8's got too costly driving up to a thou or so weekly on construction. tested a tin can WRX with no low end then seen the wolfsburg jetta i tested + bought without knowing what was possible!! 36 mpgs stock @ 150 hp BUT 275 hp after a few upgrades a fun ride + BUT the Quaife i had installed sealed the deal, 30 mpgs always + with 4 snow tyres i never got stuck in 10 years + just short of 200 thou fun miles, surely a great FUN car IMO! of course todays DI allows making MORE power on pump high test not to mention cold running high eath fuels!!

Last edited:
Reactions: MSH
Back