16 Malibu, 1.5 liter, HPL PCMO 5W30 5,400 miles

Curious what primary gasoline brand you buy and what octane level?
You'll want Top Tier Gasoline, even if it's 86/87. It will keep injectors and piston rings relatively clean.

Also, is this HPL analysis the PCEO? There are at least three different ones listed as being PCMO.
All HPL PCMO motor oils will show the same in a VOA. There is a subtle difference in the Moly level between them, but that's irrelevant to the end user.

• PCMO - Group III+ HVHI + POE + AN + Olefin VII Polymers
  • PCMO Premium - PAO + POE + AN + Olefin Polymers
  • PCMO Premium Plus - PAO + POE + AN + Star Polymers.
You want to get PCMO Premium for cold climate, and PCMO Premium Plus if you want maximum shear resistance. The Star Polymers are about 10% better at shearing resistance than the Olefin Polymers that HPL uses.

Otherwise, they all perform nearly identical, especially in daily drivers.

Invisible
I talk to you-guys on occasion..... yes, really!

Anyways, another difference is where Dexos1/G3 is compared to and that indicates sub 1500 Calcium. I believe it's only the No VII and I'm sure you already know all this.

My gasoline interest centers around the mentions here of using a higher boost of detergency. I was wondering if the OP would admit to using cheap, low octane gas.

You'll want Top Tier Gasoline, even if it's 86/87. It will keep injectors and piston rings relatively clean.

All HPL PCMO motor oils will show the same in a VOA. There is a subtle difference in the Moly level between them, but that's irrelevant to the end user.

• PCMO - Group III+ HVHI + POE + AN + Olefin VII Polymers
  • PCMO Premium - PAO + POE + AN + Olefin Polymers
  • PCMO Premium Plus - PAO + POE + AN + Star Polymers.
You want to get PCMO Premium for cold climate, and PCMO Premium Plus if you want maximum shear resistance. The Star Polymers are about 10% better at shearing resistance than the Olefin Polymers that HPL uses.

Otherwise, they all perform nearly identical, especially in daily drivers.

The temperature at which PAO burns is supposedly higher than where GPIII burns, reducing the deposit formation tendency in the grooves and ringlands. But since all contain POE and AN this should all be clean oils compared to off the shelf products.

Do we have anyone on BITOG running HPL on a GDI engine for 10K miles+
This is my vexing question as well. I'm currently waiting on my UOA running PUP 0W-20 for the 2.0 Turbo DI (6000 OCI) 23 Civic Type R. I'm mostly interested in the fuel number. I typically do 5000 OCI but I drive quite a bit so that is every 2 months. I only run 93 top tier fuel and my miles are 75% highway / 25% city driving. I'm not really looking to do extended OCI, but with the amount of miles I drive and most of them being highway, I'm interested if I can safely push my OCI to 7500-10,000 miles. Especially with switching to HPL once my PUP stash is gone.

Reactions: JTK
Back