'16 Big Turbo Golf R running Ethanol Blend

Time for the 5w50 just so you know it has extra protection, then you can chase it down, may be the turbo. But, it could be the ethanol as well.
^This. Definitely move to 5W50.

2x 5L jugs of Motul Sport 5w50 just arrived today. I only have 50-75 miles on the new Castrol, so I'll just dump it and take the $ loss. Fortunately, it's relatively cheap!

2x 5L jugs of Motul Sport 5w50 just arrived today. I only have 50-75 miles on the new Castrol, so I'll just dump it and take the $ loss. Fortunately, it's relatively cheap!
Just treat it as an expensive engine flush haha. You guys get oil so cheap so its not to bad.

Reactions: MSH
Time for the 5w50 just so you know it has extra protection, then you can chase it down, may be the turbo. But, it could be the ethanol as well.
I run E25 every tank and historically E30 quite frequently with nothing negative to the oil that I can see or impacts to wear metals.

Last edited:
I run E25 every tank and historically E30 quite frequently with nothing negative to the oil that I can see.
He is running more power. The 3 reasons to run a higher grade are power levels over stock, track/race use and ethanol/other fuels in no specific order. High iron levels are a good indicator of wear from ethanol in the cylinders. I know it happens but here is an article as well.

He is running more power. The 3 reasons to run a higher grade are power levels over stock, track/race use and ethanol/other fuels in no specific order. High iron levels are a good indicator of wear from ethanol in the cylinders. I know it happens but here is an article as well.

I understand that but I'm at 2x stock power level - 170 stock to now around 380 which isn't *too* far off from where he is and am running ethanol blends as well. This is just the new turbo but of course, could be wrong. I've seen UOAs on the MQB cars just like his that are running E30 and big power numbers without high metal/wear numbers.

I understand that but I'm at 2x stock power level - 170 stock to now around 380 which isn't *too* far off from where he is and am running ethanol blends as well. This is just the new turbo but of course, could be wrong. I've seen UOAs on the MQB cars just like his that are running E30 and big power numbers without high metal/wear numbers.
380 and 500 are very different especially from the same motor. You have more experience than me with that motor. I can't guarantee what it is though. It could be driving style, dyno runs, altitude or condition of motor and turbo. etc. However, it is known that the ethanol blends are very hard on oil. Even your UOA was showing more shearing with the ethanol and that was the only difference in your OCI.

380 and 500 are very different especially from the same motor. You have more experience than me with that motor. I can't guarantee what it is though. It could be driving style, dyno runs, altitude or condition of motor and turbo. etc. However, it is known that the ethanol blends are very hard on oil. Even your UOA was showing more shearing with the ethanol and that was the only difference in your OCI.
Correct, more shearing but zero wear metal issues - that's what I'm getting at. Just can't really say anything with a single point source of data and a recent turbo change out screams as the source here. Easy/cheap to change it and go with what is being recommended (the 5W50) and pull a sample in 2K or so.

But, about UOA, that oil shearing in an engine like that is almost non-existent. Iron numbers are not good, but it could be new turbo. Other than that, you could run Castrol 0W40 in winters if no track time.

But, about UOA, that oil shearing in an engine like that is almost non-existent. Iron numbers are not good, but it could be new turbo. Other than that, you could run Castrol 0W40 in winters if no track time.
Only 2900 miles though on that oil so wouldn't expect much (at least me) vs. a 5-7K run.

Correct, more shearing but zero wear metal issues - that's what I'm getting at. Just can't really say anything with a single point source of data and a recent turbo change out screams as the source here. Easy/cheap to change it and go with what is being recommended (the 5W50) and pull a sample in 2K or so.

I have only been averaging 4k miles per yr, so to get another 3k sample is going to take me 9-ish months if that trend continues. What is the minimum mileage I should be really pulling a sample? If I go 2k that would be around the June/July timeframe for me. I would expect I would have a track event or two on the oil at that time as well.
On running Castrol in the Winter I think I'm spooked enough at this point where I will just run the heavier 5w50 Motul Sport year round. The car still gets hard miles in Winter when weather is nice

I have only been averaging 4k miles per yr, so to get another 3k sample is going to take me 9-ish months if that trend continues. What is the minimum mileage I should be really pulling a sample? If I go 2k that would be around the June/July timeframe for me. I would expect I would have a track event or two on the oil at that time as well.
On running Castrol in the Winter I think I'm spooked enough at this point where I will just run the heavier 5w50 Motul Sport year round. The car still gets hard miles in Winter when weather is nice
Yeah, I was thinking you ran 5k OCI, probably bcs. that is how people usually do. But in your case, I would do UOA of Motul 5W50 after 3k and see where you at.

Yeah, I was thinking you ran 5k OCI, probably bcs. that is how people usually do. But in your case, I would do UOA of Motul 5W50 after 3k and see where you at.

3k on Motul Sport 5W50. Moving to Motul Sport 5W40 for winter

Screen Shot 2021-11-02 at 5.06.21 PM.jpg

It's supposed to be 17.9 mm²/s = 17.9 cSt. Seems unreal an oil could shear that much.
Fuel at
two VOAs:

IASathu.jpeg

index.php

It's supposed to be 17.9 mm²/s = 17.9 cSt. Seems unreal an oil could shear that much.
Fuel at
two VOAs:

IASathu.jpeg

index.php

His flashpoint is exceptional so it is not fuel dilution and it is a testament to the primary role of this oil: track use.

Holy shear! Either Blackstone made mistake or that engine really beats down oil.

seeing that the previous Castrol 0W-40 was @12.08 on 2900 miles you think it's the latter? I'll pull the current Motul Sport 5-40 after 3k and see how it does. I will say this car does see a fair amount of hard driving. While I didn't do any track days like I intended (life just got in way) it sees lots of hard canyon driving and redline pulls.

seeing that the previous Castrol 0W-40 was @12.08 on 2900 miles you think it's the latter? I'll pull the current Motul Sport 5-40 after 3k and see how it does. I will say this car does see a fair amount of hard driving. While I didn't do any track days like I intended (life just got in way) it sees lots of hard canyon driving and redline pulls.
Idk. It is confusing to me that if everything is ok that Motul sheared down so much especially knowing that those are stable oils. Castrol Edge 0W40 is exceptional oil. But still…
Here is my UOA of Edge 0W40. It had 47 laps on HPR. But my car in naturally aspirated port injected.
B4A5AFE4-78B0-42EB-A591-051354793DB3.jpeg

Back