15w 50/20w 50, can it cause problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is using 15w-50 or 20w-50 in a car that is driven very hard and fast a good idea or can it cause problems from being to heavy? The owners manual recommends 5w-40 but the car also has 120000K miles on it.

When I tried 15W50 in a high-mileage (>200k) engine that burned a lot of oil due to weakened rings from some episodes of repeated overheating, oil consumption went UP from 1 quart/800 miles or so to 1 quart/500. The plugs fouled badly. I switched it back to 10w30 and got another 40k miles out of it.

Its hard to predict whether going thick will lower or raise oil consumption. My experience is that if the rings are worn or have lost tension, it'll go up.

So far, no oil consumption, the reason I am considering it is because im in a hot climate and drive very hard. I have heard to heavy an oil can damage an engine but iv also heard if you hard a heavy oil is best--so im confused....

Is it the car named after your screen name? A caravan?

What is the vehicle?

I live in Georgia and it's hot in the summers, but I'd choose something like Rotella T6 5w-40 before going to 15w50 range, IMO.

use the 5w40 it will circulate faster at all temperatures and run cooler
use what they say sometimes the people that build the engine know a little about oil

No one in NA drives hard unless you take you car to the track.
You haven't mentioned your vehicle but no one needs or benefits from a 15W-50 or 20W-50 in a modern engine.
Forget the nonsense you've heard and stick with the 5W-30 grade.

The old "logic" of going with heavier (i.e. higher viscosity) oils has been proven to be flawed. Actually, modern motor oils have been improved so much, that 5W30 is the new standard for most engines. In your case, the "highest" I'd go is 10W30, old buddy. Ask "Bob" for his opinion. Good luck!

I used 20w50 for over 10 years in everything. Probably wouldn't do it today, but it never caused any damage or problems. In the summer, you could get away with a 15w40.

I'm not sure if you're in north or south Alabama, but with the winter in the northern parts of the state in mind, I wouldn't be running a xxw50. Stick with a good 5w40, like mentioned by ltslimjim.

Originally Posted By: caravan89
Is using 15w-50 or 20w-50 in a car that is driven very hard and fast a good idea or can it cause problems from being to heavy? The owners manual recommends 5w-40 but the car also has 120000K miles on it.

You drive an '89 Caravan with 120,000,000 miles on it hard and fast ??!! An '89 Caravan won't go hard or fast.
Why on earth would you do that .....
21.gif

Is this oldmoparguy ??

Sorry for the lateness, was having computer problems. The car in question is a 1998 Citroen ZX 1.6L 4 cly, right now im in South China. The car is driven at speeds over 100mph for extended periods of time.
Also, my car in the States is a 1989 Dodge Caravan with a built up 2.5L turbo and runs 13s in the 1/4. My Canavan can drive hard and fast--I used mobil 1 15w50 in it, but it is a turbo.

You probably don't need the twenny-fiddy, but the 15W-50 would be good for hard driving in hot weather.
It certainly wouldn't cause any harm.
I have used M1 15W-50 in both of the Accords in hot weather, and there don't seem to be any problems with it, although it is a far heavier grade than Honda thinks the cars need.
If the French recommended a 5W-40, certainly a 15W-50 would be fine.
Another factor might be availability.
What can you get in the area you're located in?

If the manufacturer recommends a 5w40, and the car at 120,000 miles does not use oil, and if the oil pressure has not changed from when the car was new, I would say stick with the 5w40. There are some pretty wonderful 5w40's out there compared to when the car was new in 1998.

But as for the availability of those wonderful oils in China, I have no idea.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: caravan89
right now im in South China. The car is driven at speeds over 100mph for extended periods of time.

Just curious ... where in south China can you drive at speeds over 100mph for extended periods and without slaughtering the bicyclists?

Just to stay on topic ... I use 5W50 in my car, but wouldn't unless it was the recommended grade.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back