15w-40 and cold temps?

Believe it or not, but according to my owner's manual (`90's BMW), you can safely use a 15W down to -20C (-5F)...a far cry from 40F.

15W is rated for cold cranking down to 4F. Mountain resort and high desert temps regularly get below 20F and I have no starting problems at all with 15W-40. Dr.T is right. I stand corrected. It is 20W that is good to -15C (+4F). [ October 01, 2003, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: Jimbo ]

quote:
Originally posted by yankees1: If nighttime temps get down to 40 and days at 60's will 15w-40 still allow proper starting/protection for a garaged car?
This will be my first time using 15w-40 in colder weather. Well, started my truck up last night (about 45 degrees out) and I got "ticking" for about two seconds...after that, it did fine. I'm currently using Delo, but I think I'm gonna try Delvac or Long-Life, and try a different filter as well (K&N?)

I just put 5W40 Redline in my Toyota and fall is here in force. It is going to get down to 27F tonight! I have no doubts that it will do fine this winter. It still has to meet 5W requirements. It seldom gets much colder then -20 for all but a few days.