'15 Hyundai Genesis 3.8L V6 GDI - 5k sample / 120k car - Pennzoil Platinum 5W30

lk0

6 months / 5k miles
Daily drive is 17 miles to work and 17 miles back

Using Hyundai OEM filters (oil and air), always run top tier gas

Hyundai specifies a 7.3 qt / 6.9L fill. The car doesn't seem to burn any oil, the oil level actually increases through the OCI because of fuel dilution

Genesis 120k downsized.jpg

Not sure what to think about the silver.

Currently running PUP 5W30 for the 120k--->125k interval (price was basically the same as PP, though I had to order it online).
If fuel dilution remains an issue on the next UOA I will start running 91 or 93 instead of 87 to see if that helps.

Thoughts?

These are underrated budget sports cars - don't be so cheap with 87 octane!
Buy a Hyundai Sonata or something.
I bet the silver was from the spark plugs getting blown up due to detonation - although soldering does sound like something Hyundai would do in the 80s LOL

If you took the sample when the engine wasn't run for a half hour to burn off fuel and water, that would bias the results towards more fuel contamination and lower the oil viscosity than during typical operating conditions.

Wear appears low except the Silver. Re-test to confirm if it gets any worse. Maybe a Hyundai forum might pinpoint what engine material is made of Silver to get an idea. According to the latest LSjr video mentioning to get some fuel injector cleaner in the tank to see if that can reduce fuel dilution. It may not work with just one dose though.

I bet the silver was from the spark plugs getting blown up due to detonation - although soldering does sound like something Hyundai would do in the 80s LOL

If you took the sample when the engine wasn't run for a half hour to burn off fuel and water, that would bias the results towards more fuel contamination and lower the oil viscosity than during typical operating conditions.
For what its worth this is the Sedan version (same car as what became the Genesis G80 in 2017) not the Coupe.

I did only run the engine for about 5 minutes before changing so that could have had some effect.
Interesting that you mention the spark plugs - I bought the car at 114k and changed the plugs at 115k. The plugs were fine in terms of wear but all of them had the same "buildup" on the electrodes. To the naked eye it looks like white build up (hard to tell because the electrodes on these are so small) but it looks kind of silvery/metallic in the macro shots. I'll post some pictures of them. I pulled the new plugs after a few hundred miles and they looked exactly the same as the old ones. Could be something, or could be nothing.

The car runs perfect, no issues at all.

Spark plug pictures:

Need to see them full screen to really see what I'm talking about

Examples:

DSC08997_2.jpg

DSC08901_2.jpg

Next oil change, substitute two quarts of 5w30 for either 10w30, 0w40 SP or 5W40 SP. That may help fight-off some fuel dilution concerns.

Normally speaking, your fuel dilution number isn't a concern. I'd rather switch oil brand names, for Pennzoil uses Natural Gas base oil and it starts off & finishes thin.

You would probably be one number higher in finish cst@100 using Castrol Edge EP or Mobil-1 EP Triple Action in 5w30.

Hyundai and Kia engines really like10w30. But since you keep your location a secret, then it's a mystery to those here that want to recommend a specific grade of oil.

The 3.8 engine is naturally aspirated and not a sports engine. Regular octane is fine.

lk0
Thanks for the Post
I don't think that the Fuel Octane level will make a Dimes worth of Difference
With a 8.5 Viscosity, the Oil is way out of Grade
Depending on where you live you might consider an 0W-40 or a 5W-40
And at a 2.04 TBN, the Oil is SPENT
Good Luck

Back