14 Honda Odyssey odd shifting

I have a 2014 Honda Odyssey elite with about 78k, owned it since 4800 miles. Been a great van but when it’s cold outside and it’s not fully warmed up, the transmission acts like it’s only partially in gear and eventually it lunges forward with full power and shifts fine. Had it looked at and I’m always told everything looks good and it has the latest software. It’s shifted like this since probably 20k or so miles. Done the fluid with Honda DW-1 about every 22-27k based on the maintenance minder. With the cost of DW1 increasing, the Pennzoil platinum multi vehicle says right on the package DW1 compatible. I’ve only used all Honda fluids on everything, but this odd behavior just can’t be normal like I’m being told. Any thoughts? Would switching fluids change anything? Would pennzoil be superior to DW1? I use pennzoil platinum 0/20 oil with an OE filter, I keep this van perfectly maintained.

I have a 2014 Honda Odyssey elite with about 78k, owned it since 4800 miles. Been a great van but when it’s cold outside and it’s not fully warmed up, the transmission acts like it’s only partially in gear and eventually it lunges forward with full power and shifts fine. Had it looked at and I’m always told everything looks good and it has the latest software. It’s shifted like this since probably 20k or so miles. Done the fluid with Honda DW-1 about every 22-27k based on the maintenance minder. With the cost of DW1 increasing, the Pennzoil platinum multi vehicle says right on the package DW1 compatible. I’ve only used all Honda fluids on everything, but this odd behavior just can’t be normal like I’m being told. Any thoughts? Would switching fluids change anything? Would pennzoil be superior to DW1? I use pennzoil platinum 0/20 oil with an OE filter, I keep this van perfectly maintained.
If that engine has VCM I would disable it. I use a SVCM in my wife’s 19 Honda Pilot.

Definitely disable the VCM as @ARB1977 suggested.

Regarding non-Honda ATF, I have been using other brands for 6+ years in my 12 Ody (5 spd trans). However the OP mentioned Pennzoil multi vehicle ATF. IIRC this is not the low viscosity fluid.

I used Penn Platinum LV for several years and it shifted just like it did with Honda fluid but seemed to last longer with frequent towing. After the local Home Depot quit stocking the PPLV I switched to Amalie universal synthetic; shifts are still perfect.

So I have a 2015 Accord V6 that I bought brand new and have the exact same odd shifting as the OP. Over the years I have tried other fluid other then DW-1 and made no difference with the odd shifting. Actually other fluid creating a torque converter shutter and switching back to DW-1 got rid of the shudder. All mounts have been inspected, not torn. VCM has been disabled. At first I had the VCM muzzler now I have a K tuner and have deleted VCM completely. Nothing, and I mean nothing has made a positive difference with this issue except to let the car warm up for a few minuets when it’s cold out.
If car is in the garage I can drive off right away. If it sits out side on a cold day and I drive off right away it will have a half shift then harshly lunge forward at the first stop light.

So I have a 2015 Accord V6 that I bought brand new and have the exact same odd shifting as the OP. Over the years I have tried other fluid other then DW-1 and made no difference with the odd shifting. Actually other fluid creating a torque converter shutter and switching back to DW-1 got rid of the shudder. All mounts have been inspected, not torn. VCM has been disabled. At first I had the VCM muzzler now I have a K tuner and have deleted VCM completely. Nothing, and I mean nothing has made a positive difference with this issue except to let the car warm up for a few minuets when it’s cold out.
If car is in the garage I can drive off right away. If it sits out side on a cold day and I drive off right away it will have a half shift then harshly lunge forward at the first stop light.
This is my EXACT issue.....glad to know I am not alone, its always that first stoplight and then its fine. I had a friend recommend letting it warm up a bit and sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. Ive been hesitant to try other fluids, I have a friend with a 14 CRV who swears by Pennzoil multi vehicle w/ lubeguard red added and another friend with an Accord uses Maxlife multi vehcle. I can still get DW1 cheap on Amazon so I just do a drain and fill every 3 months. I had the tow package added to mine when I bought it because of the trans cooler.

Definitely disable the VCM as @ARB1977 suggested.

Regarding non-Honda ATF, I have been using other brands for 6+ years in my 12 Ody (5 spd trans). However the OP mentioned Pennzoil multi vehicle ATF. IIRC this is not the low viscosity fluid.

I used Penn Platinum LV for several years and it shifted just like it did with Honda fluid but seemed to last longer with frequent towing. After the local Home Depot quit stocking the PPLV I switched to Amalie universal synthetic; shifts are still perfect.
I’m currently running Amsoil blue cap SS I’m my wife’s 19 Pilot. It specs DW1.

Back