2007 Honda Accord Transmission fluid changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: millerbl00
I think things are getting confusing. I never used Honda DW1. I used maxlife first.

I am now using a Z1 fluid.

It sounds like your issue was with Maxlife itself, not a DW-1 compatible fluid.

I filled an Accord V6 transmission (2002) with Maxlife and it immediately started to lurch into Drive. It made absolutely zero sense to me.

Viscosity is not the only factor that determines the fluid's performance. ATF-Z1 tends to be shear down quite badly to DW-1 viscosity levels, if not lower.

I am willing to bet that real DW-1 from the dealer would give you the same good performance that you are experiencing now.

Yes, mine was trying to lurch into Drive cold too. I agree. I think it did not like maxlife. Next Drain and fill I will try DW1.

Originally Posted By: spackard
Anyone heard about replacing 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches, as well as trans filter, in the problematic Honda/Acura years?

There's an Australian (who claims to have been permanently banned from BITOG) who has a long thread on an Acura site, running from 2009 through current, where they've speculated the pressure switches wear and get out of tolerance. Claim is change them around 50k miles.

Side note, this practice is for the V6 transmissions.

Hello, Aside from fluid considerations (clean fluid, correct fluid) I thought the problem with Honda autos is that they were inherently weak units until 2007.

I read that here.

I also read here that Z-1 was a "below standard" fluid.

My brother's '07 Odyssey (bought w/~50K and reasonably clean fluid) is getting DW-1 fluid refreshments at every oil change until it's clear red. It shifts well. Kira

Originally Posted By: spackard
Anyone heard about replacing 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches, as well as trans filter, in the problematic Honda/Acura years?

There's an Australian (who claims to have been permanently banned from BITOG) who has a long thread on an Acura site, running from 2009 through current, where they've speculated the pressure switches wear and get out of tolerance. Claim is change them around 50k miles.

I replaced my 3/4 and 4/5 transmission shift sensors on my US '05 Pilot, which fixed occasional hard shifts and the Blinking D. It was as easy as a spark plug change (on an easy spark plug change engine), and total cost was under $100, including crush washers.

From shared experiences on the Pilot forums, practically all Pilots from '03 to '08 have this issue around 100K (some much more, some less). The part numbers have been updated and the newer sensors don't seem to have a limited lifetime (so far).

I haven't heard of trans filter changes actually fixing anything, but many of us do it, because, you know, it's a filter, and so obviously, it needs changing? Makes sense to me. Maybe only the 300K mile owner will see the benefit.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello, Aside from fluid considerations (clean fluid, correct fluid) I thought the problem with Honda autos is that they were inherently weak units until 2007.

What I heard for Pilots is the weakest transmissions were '03 and '04, with improvements for model year '05. There may have been more improvements after that.
Originally Posted By: Kira
My brother's '07 Odyssey (bought w/~50K and reasonably clean fluid) is getting DW-1 fluid refreshments at every oil change until it's clear red. It shifts well. Kira

Mine made the transition long ago, and I drop ATF and replace with DW-1 on every oil change now. Like your brother's, it shifts well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back