$14.83 for Harley Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: matinees
i thought this thread was about oil filters .Just read about 8 pages of dribble about who wears what or rides what im a real biker he isnt. who really gives a [censored]

The oil filter discussion pretty much ended when the question was answered. We're just having fun now. Maybe you're not but some of us are.... Is anyone forcing you to read our posts?

I overheard two [censored] Harley Davidson bikers at starbucks sharing war stories while throwing back a $8 latte.

It was too graphic for me. One kept telling the other about drilling out a cavity on a very violent 6 yr old.

After I turned away in fear the last thing I heard was one dentist telling the other the advantages of a black smock because it hides blood stains obtained in 'rumbles' with the crazy patients. After dropping $20 of apple muffins and fancy coffee they said something disdainful about 'cages' (what does that mean) and rode of into the sunset while fishing out the garage door openers from three layers of black leather.

Such freedom.

Originally Posted By: boraticus

I also heard that during the "testing trials" for the bib, they had more than a few mishaps when the bib was lifted by the wind, covering the rider's entire face and obscuring vision.

A similar thing happened to me back in the 70's while cruising on my Rd behind my buddy on his RD when his girlfriends tie in the front halter top blew off at about 100 mph and covered my face..
shocked2.gif
luckily my girlfriend had the sense to pull it off before we crashed. Scared the bejesus out of me but it was worth the scenery at the next stop...because we both went through a radar trap 1/2 mile down the road at about 90 mph and when the cops pulled us over they got to admire the scenery as well....they finally let us go after calling 4 other cruisers for back up...finally one of the cops gave my buddies girl a PAL tshirt to wear home....
banana2.gif
one of my fonder memories of riding my Yammi.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PT1

I also heard that during the "testing trials" for the bib, they had more than a few mishaps when the bib was lifted by the wind, covering the rider's entire face and obscuring vision.

Scared the bejesus out of me but it was worth the scenery at the next stop...
grin2.gif

Some guys get all the luck. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them. My wife and I were in Cuba where women going topless is normal on many beaches and poolside. After leaving the pool area, my wife asked me if I had seen the two babes across the pool from us not wearing a top. I had not. She mentioned a few other occasions where she had seen topless attractive women and I had missed them completely as well. I'll tell you what I did see. I saw one six foot two inch German woman? who looked like Frankenstein's monster doing the goose step up and down the beach with no top on. She didn't need a top she had no breasts. She looked more like a man than a woman. The only other breasts? I saw were on some very heavy seventy year old French woman lathering up her eighteen inch long sag-masters with sun screen! How do the kids say it? Eeeewwwww......gross.

Originally Posted By: milwaukee
So sag-masters don't float your boat?

I don't like em either but if they are displayed I'm going to look.

Ahhhh....NO.

The whole event was rather disgusting. I was sitting under a cabana reading a motorcycle magazine. I could hear this groaning and huffing noise as people situated lounges about fifteen feet ahead of us on the beach. They were muttering in French and I didn't bother to look over the rag to see what was going on. After a few minutes, they had settled down. Then I began to hear these lewd sounding sucking sounds. My wife who had a magazine in front of her face turned toward me with a quizzical look on her face. I grimaced and slowly lowered my magazine just a bit to see over the top. There she was seventy year old Mademoiselle of Armatiers lathering down her long tubular breasts. She had both hands around one breast working the sun screen from her chest to the ends. It was that motion that was making the disgusting sucking sounds. I tell you. I nearly hurled.
I think it was a trick of theirs to get people to clear out so they can take the vacated cabana.

Last edited:
Oh thanks for the visual first thing in the morning...
37.gif

Yeah... I know. It certainly wasn't a "you had to be there" moment.

To this day, I can't understand why she couldn't have turned around toward the ocean to lube down her tubes? Just had to plant them right in our faces.

That put me off my feed for a few hours.

Oh thanks for the visual first thing in the morning...
37.gif

Yeah... I know. It certainly wasn't a "you had to be there" moment.

To this day, I can't understand why she couldn't have turned around toward the ocean to lube down her tubes? Just had to plant them right in our faces.

Maybe she was hopping you would reciprocate.
LOL.gif

Harley Davidson (Hardly Ableson):
A miracle machine designed specifically to convert perfectly good fuel to annoying noise and fumes without the risk of performance or power.

Most present-day Harley riders are a bunch of wannabe posers. They trailer their "bikes" to Jacksonville or St. Augustine, check into whatever 5-star motel they can get into, tie a sleeping bag to the back and ride the last 30-75 miles into Daytona and pose as if they rode all the way down from Phonyville, USA. Disgusting. Even worse are the draft dodgin' maggots that buy into their $30,000 sleds, hang the flag they have no respect for on their "bike", prop their ankles over the highway pegs and show up in D.C. in "support" of the Vets that gave up all and then some in Viet Nam. I'm surprised those mutts don't get their a$$e$ kicked by the folks that ARE for real. It isn't hard to spot the posers, that's for sure..

I don't understand all the disdain for people that don't happen to ride what you do. I got this emailed to me from a friend recently and I don't know who wrote it but I liked it:

Things My Motorcycle Has Taught Me

The only good view of a thunderstorm is in your rear view mirror.

People ask us why we ride a motorcycle. For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

I'd rather be riding my motorcycle and thinking about God, than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle.

Four wheels move the body; two wheels move the soul.

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 60 mph!

You start the game of life with a full pot o' luck and an empty pot o' experience. The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck.

If you wait, all that happens is that you get older.

Midnight bugs taste just as bad as Noon time bugs.

Saddlebags can never hold everything you want, but they CAN hold everything you need.

Don't ride so late into the night that you sleep through the sunrise.

Sometimes it takes a whole tank full of gas before you can think straight.

Riding faster than everyone else only guarantees you'll ride alone.

Never hesitate to ride past the last street light at the edge of town.

Never do less than forty miles before breakfast.

A bike on the road is worth two in the shed.

Respect the person who has seen the dark side of motorcycling and lived, and still rides.

Young riders pick a destination and go. Old riders pick a direction and go.

A good mechanic will let you watch without charging you for it.

Sometimes the fastest way to get there is to stop for the night.

Always back your bike into the curb and sit where you can see it.

There are drunk riders and there are old riders, but there are not many old, drunk riders.

Ride to work. Work to ride.

Whatever it is, it's better in the wind.

Two-lane blacktop isn't a highway - it's an attitude.

When you look down the road, it seems to never end - but you better believe it does!

Keep your bike in good repair. Motorcycle boots are not all that comfortable for walking.

People are like Motorcycles: each is customized a bit differently.

Sometimes, the best communication happens when you're on separate bikes.

When you're riding lead, don't spit.

A friend is someone who'll get out of bed at 2 a..m. to drive his pickup to the middle of nowhere to get you when you're broken down.

Catching a yellow jacket in your shirt at 70 mph can double your vocabulary.

There's something ugly about a NEW bike on a trailer

Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.

If you can't get it going with bungee cords and duct tape, it's serious.

If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there may not be.

The best modifications cannot be seen from the outside.

Always replace the cheapest parts first.

You can forget what you do for a living when your knees are in the breeze.

Only a Biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

Keep the paint up, and the rubber down!

There are two types of people in this world, people who ride motorcycles and people who wish they could ride

RIDE EM IF YOU GOT EM AND RIDE WITH PRIDE!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow ... 12 pages based on a post about an oil filter!

I didn't read every post, but I scanned several and got a sense for the discussion. This reminds me of what used to go on all the time at HondaShadow.net, which I no longer read or participate in.

But because it's 5:52am on a Sunday morning, and I'm up this early because my cat chose to hurl a hairball, here's my view of things:
  • Harley-Davidson motorcycles are perfectly fine machines. They have their good points and bad. So does my Goldwing.
  • The Harley-Davidson motorcycle company has brilliantly fostered and exploited the mystique. I applaud them for that ... superb marketing.
  • The brand of motorcycle one rides should not be the basis for treating others with contempt -- either H-D riders of others; or others of H-D riders.**
  • A motorcycle is just a mechanical device; riding a motorcycle is fun but it is not (and should not be mistaken for) a mystical or spiritual activity.
  • $14.83 is about what my Honda dealer charges for a Honda OEM for my Goldwing. I get the OEM online for about $8. I realize I could get an equivalent for about $3.
** The attitude one displays based on the motorcycle brand is a different matter. But treating anyone with contempt is, generally speaking, territory one should not venture into. My opinion. I fall prey to it more frequently than I wish, I'm sad to say.

It's not the bike I have contempt for, although real Harley doods would certainly be happy to pee all over my "rice burner" even though it has far more American-built parts and labor in it than their Harley, at least in the case of Hondas. It's a few of the peeps that are on the smelly, noisy beasts that earn my contempt. Not all, but many.

But then, your mileage may vary..

Originally Posted By: toocrazy2yoo
It's not the bike I have contempt for, although real Harley doods would certainly be happy to pee all over my "rice burner" even though it has far more American-built parts and labor in it than their Harley, at least in the case of Hondas.

I find that hard to believe, even with the Goldwing. Could you elaborate?

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
If I'm not mistaken, the Goldwing final assembly has moved back to Japan.

I feel sorry for HD riders who look down their noses at non-HD riders; and for non-HD riders who do the same in reverse. It's not that I'm perfectly non-judgmental myself ... it just seems there are better things to get worked up over.

For instance, the oil they use!
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: TucsonDon
Originally Posted By: G-MAN
If I'm not mistaken, the Goldwing final assembly has moved back to Japan.

I feel sorry for HD riders who look down their noses at non-HD riders; and for non-HD riders who do the same in reverse. It's not that I'm perfectly non-judgmental myself ... it just seems there are better things to get worked up over.

I agree. There's a guy in my neighborhood who rides a Suzuki C50. He and I go riding every now and then. His bike is v-twin cruiser and he's perfectly happy with it. We ride and have a good time. He doesn't rag me about riding a Harley, and I don't rag him about riding a Suzuki.

Yes, Honda cycle production that used to be in Ohio moves back to Japan this year.
Still, Gold Wing production for many years had as high or high domestic content than some Chevy pick ups or some Harley models.
Some of the Shadow models were assembled in Ohio as well.

Originally Posted By: TucsonDon
I agree. I'd tell a fellow Harley rider that acted that way they were wrong just as fast as a guy on a diffferent brand.

If someone wants to wear leather and look "Bad", or dress up in a clown suit for that matter, it doesn't effect me or what I do.

If there were a group of motorcyclist I would get worked up over it's the one's that put me and other motorist in danger by speeding, weaving in and out of traffic, and generally driving like a lunatic. Some guys get on a bike and act as if it's a free for all out there, or the roads their private racetrack.

Those type aren't specific to any brand though, or even bikes. They ride Harley's, they ride crotch rockets. Some drive sports cars.

When someone elses choices effect my life, or puts me in danger, then I start to get worked up. If not, have a ball!!

The problem with the freaky bizarre, obnoxiously noisy, chrome and tinsel, leather clad motorcyclists is the impact they have on the general public.

Automotively, motorcyclists are the minority. All motorcycles (particularly those of size) tend to instill a sense of danger to non-motorcyclists. Not necessarily danger to the observer as much as danger to the rider for not having the protection of a cage around them. This perceived danger to the rider is occasionally misinterpreted by uninformed observers as risky or dangerous behaviour. Thus the erroneous assumption that the rider is a potentially "dangerous" person. I've noticed that just carrying a motorcycle helmet in a shop, draws a different look than when I'm not. The average Joe and Mary Public don't like motorcycles and I'm certain that strange motorcyclists aren't invited in for tea on a regular basis.

So, with this observation of the publics reluctant acceptance of motorcycles and motorcyclists, large gatherings of Donut Shop Demons, making excessive unnecessary noise, clad in their Charlie Manson/Village People look alike costumes do not garner any additional acceptance from John Q. Public.

I suppose the same can be said about the sport bike maniac doing wheelies down main street. The difference is that his irresponsible display is usually brief and soon out of sight. Unfortunately, this is not the case with the Donut Shop Demons. They're more like a bad movie that just never seems to end. They never seem to tire of their masquerade and just move the show from one parking lot to another ensuring the entire community get a glimpse of their awesome display. It embarrasses me to be seen on two wheels anywhere near that side show.

The problem with the freaky bizarre, obnoxiously noisy, chrome and tinsel, leather clad motorcyclists is the impact they have on the general public.

Automotively, motorcyclists are the minority. All motorcycles (particularly those of size) tend to instill a sense of danger to non-motorcyclists. Not necessarily danger to the observer as much as danger to the rider for not having the protection of a cage around them. This perceived danger to the rider is occasionally misinterpreted by uninformed observers as risky or dangerous behaviour. Thus the erroneous assumption that the rider is a potentially "dangerous" person. I've noticed that just carrying a motorcycle helmet in a shop, draws a different look than when I'm not. The average Joe and Mary Public don't like motorcycles and I'm certain that strange motorcyclists aren't invited in for tea on a regular basis.

So, with this observation of the publics reluctant acceptance of motorcycles and motorcyclists, large gatherings of Donut Shop Demons, making excessive unnecessary noise, clad in their Charlie Manson/Village People look alike costumes do not garner any additional acceptance from John Q. Public.

I suppose the same can be said about the sport bike maniac doing wheelies down main street. The difference is that his irresponsible display is usually brief and soon out of sight. Unfortunately, this is not the case with the Donut Shop Demons. They're more like a bad movie that just never seems to end. They never seem to tire of their masquerade and just move the show from one parking lot to another ensuring the entire community get a glimpse of their awesome display. It embarrasses me to be seen on two wheels anywhere near that side show.

Wow. I own two bikes and love to ride. I don't belong to any clubs and I rarely ride in groups. I like motorbikes with one or two cylinders, multi cylinder bikes seem soulless to me.

All bikers are OK by me, I even wave at scooter riders! I started out on a 1974 Suzuki TS-185 and have gone through two dozen bikes and have clocked about 250k miles on two wheels in the last 30 years. Life is too short to get irritated with folks who don't ride/wear/act like you do.

I have never seen a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist's office. Get out and ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back