$14.83 for Harley Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding the thoughs expressed in this thread that Harley riders are brainwashed sheep that take orders from Willie.

All I can say is, I like all bikes. I've owned and enjoyed many Japanese bikes. I ride Harley's, not because I'm "Harley-Harley-Raa-Raa-Raa!!", but because I enjoy them.........too!!

I consider those stereo-types as small minded, without much knowledge or thought.

Originally Posted By: wafrederick1
....and the Harleys raise in value.

100% total bull sheet.

I like HD for the looks and style. They make a pretty [censored] good touring bike. I can assure they don't go up in value.

Resale is better for a HD because more people want them NOT because they are better machines.

Originally Posted By: milwaukee
Originally Posted By: wafrederick1
....and the Harleys raise in value.

100% total bull sheet.

I like HD for the looks and style. They make a pretty [censored] good touring bike. I can assure they don't go up in value.

Resale is better for a HD because more people want them NOT because they are better machines.

Do a search on the INTERNET for used Harleys. There are thousands upon thousands for sale. Many late models selling for much less than half their retail price. Anyone who thinks that Harleys increase in value must be referring to bikes over 40 years old and in mint condition.

The people who want them most are those that had their bikes repossessed or had to sell them because they couldn't afford to buy them in the first place. The recent economic fiasco has also forced many people to sell their toys. If a person wanted a Harley, he/she could get one very cheaply right now.

Has anyone looked at the price of HD stock lately or read of the financial fix they're in? Believe me. Used Harleys will not be going up in price.

People can buy what they want. If they prefer Harleys fine. However, when others criticize the product from reasonable observations and point out it's short comings, owners shouldn't respond angrily. The bottom line is that Harley are OK bikes but they are certainly not great bikes and no where near as good as the price demands.

One thing I must say about Harley Davidson. They have managed to survive despite the fact that the market is full of better motorcycles. It's hard to believe that any modern motorcycle manufacturing company would work so hard for over one hundred years in their relentless pursuit to turn a "Sows ear into a silk purse". I can't think of any other manufacturer with such a severe case of tunnel vision.

Well...after all of this banter...I still gotta have the chrome oil filter....it goes with my collection of 392 black t-shirts...gotta go now Willie G is on the phone...
LOL.gif

When I started this thread I was hoping some one was going to mention that have used a wix 51348. I have had my bike for 8 years. its been paid off for years. I have kids now i was just trying to save a few bucks. If the wix is a bad choice i will stick with harley

Originally Posted By: boraticus
One thing I must say about Harley Davidson. They have managed to survive despite the fact that the market is full of better motorcycles. It's hard to believe that any modern motorcycle manufacturing company would work so hard for over one hundred years in their relentless pursuit to turn a "Sows ear into a silk purse". I can't think of any other manufacturer with such a severe case of tunnel vision.

People like you will never understand Harley-Davidson.

Think about this: How many Japanese makers have spent billions of dollars designing their own versions of v-twin bikes that try to capture what it is that makes a Harley a Harley? Sure the essence of a Harley is an antiquated engine design that is noisy and shakes and vibrates. But the essence of Harley now was the essence of ALL American motorcycles in the early to mid 20th century. Indian, Crocker, Henderson-Excelsior, Harley--they were all variations on a single theme. Of course, there were break away concepts even back then (like the four cylinder Indian), but the sine qua non of an American motorcycle was then and remains today a single pin crank 45 degree v-twin engine. The only American company that has been smart enough or lucky enough to survive and continue to produce these bikes is Harley. (And, of course, we now have the newly resurrected Indian pumping out v-twin bikes just up the road from me in Kings Mountain, NC.)

People criticize Harley for producing bikes that are not on par with the best from the Japanese companies. From a quality standpoint, that position is untenable. Harley's production standards, fit and finish, and reliability are as good as or better than any other maker out there. Period.

But again, I point to all those companies trying to produce bikes that are like Harleys. Why is that? Is it because a company will build what the consumer demands? That's partly it. But you have to look for the reason for that demand. Why do so many people who want a bike want an antiquated, shaking, vibrating v-twin? Because they are stupid sheep who have been led astray by Harley's marketing department? There are those who no doubt believe that is the case. But for the rest of us who ride Harleys and do so with our eyes wide open, we share a common motive for choosing our bikes and it almost defies explanation. Most, like me, have ridden Japanese bikes (I've had six: four Hondas, a Yamaha, and a Suzuki) but nothing feels like a Harley and none of those other bikes was ever as much fun to jump on and hit the road as a Harley. And if you can't understand that, that's fine. But don't try to convince me that my Harley is inferior because I'm an ignorant boob who has been duped into believing Harleys are the be-all and end-all of motorcycling. Objectively, from a quality standpoint, you can't sustain your position. From a design standpoint, your position is only valid inasmuch as you believe that every company has an obligation to eschew tried and true designs for newer concepts. Again, that position is untenable.

But in the end it all boils down to people's preferences, and no matter what a person rides, a preference is a totally subjective thing. I ride a Harley for the same reason I would hope anyone rides whatever particular make he or she chooses: Because it makes me smile every time I get on it and hit the road.

You are correct. I will never understand Harley Davidson.

To me, they are a noisy, overly expensive compilation of glitzy chromed parts mounted on a heavy chassis around an anachronism of an engine whose manufacturer is trying to convince the world that it's the only "real" motorcycle. Other than look good, they generally do nothing really well except empty bank accounts.

I'll buy some of your argument but I still won't buy a Harley. Even at available bargain basement prices.

Having an acute and clear understanding of what motorcycles are and should be, Harleys fall short in my assessment. Add the 'Village People' regalia and antics of far too many Harley owners to the equation and the picture is complete.

Enjoy your riding. I just got back from an 80 mile back roads ride on my '74 RD350. Most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Originally Posted By: live_to_hunt
When I started this thread I was hoping some one was going to mention that have used a wix 51348. I have had my bike for 8 years. its been paid off for years. I have kids now i was just trying to save a few bucks. If the wix is a bad choice i will stick with harley

Just get the black Harley one as it is cheaper than the chrome one.

To me, they are a noisy, overly expensive compilation of glitzy chromed parts mounted on a heavy chassis around an anachronism of an engine whose manufacturer is trying to convince the world that it's the only "real" motorcycle. Other than look good, they generally do nothing really well except empty bank accounts.

I'll buy some of your argument but I still won't buy a Harley. Even at available bargain basement prices.

Having an acute and clear understanding of what motorcycles are and should be, Harleys fall short in my assessment. Add the 'Village People' regalia and antics of far too many Harley owners to the equation and the picture is complete.

Enjoy your riding. I just got back from an 80 mile back roads ride on my '74 RD350. Most fun you can have with your clothes on.

HEY! I started on a 74 RD350
thumbsup2.gif
mine was like a deep almost purple color with the 2 white stripes on the tank. What a fun machine! I am still amazed I didn't kill myself back then (well almost did). Now I ride a 06 Harley FXDL. Just as much fun but the Harley is more beast like which is a lot of fun in itself. You should go test ride one or rent one for a weekend. Not better not worse...just different.

To sum it up: My Harley gives me the same type of experience I got from my 1966 Ford Fairlane GTA Convertible with the 350HP Shelby 289/302 engine. Kind of a high torque pin you to the seat beasty mucle machine.

BTW, pound for pound..my Harley is built heavier than the Yammi was for sure.

Last edited:
Having an acute and clear understanding of what motorcycles are and should be, Harleys fall short in my assessment.

See, there's the rub. You've canonized your "understanding of what motorcycles are and should be." By my understanding of what motorcycles are and should be, the modern Harley (and Indian) are it, and all others fall short. C'est la vie.

How many Japan bikes do you see from the 60's or even the 70's that are stil on the road? How many? There are still plenty of Harley's on the road from that time.Why is that? I have owned many japan bikes and they are a well made bike and very reliable but once they get age on them they seem to disapear into the junk yards. I will agree that Harley has had some issues in the past but so has all the bikes ever produced. I beleive the biggest problem people have with there Harleys is the fact that they will not leive them stock and hot rod the [censored] out of them and then complain that they are not reliable,and well, thats true once you start moding the engine on anything.My STOCK 06 Harley has plenty of power and has been very reliable to date with 38K on the clock. Harley has come a long way since my old Shovel, wich by the way is still running, and the these new ones are about as good as it gets.

Originally Posted By: porkchop01
How many Japan bikes do you see from the 60's or even the 70's that are stil on the road? How many? There are still plenty of Harley's on the road from that time.Why is that?

I see hundreds of motorcycles a day (live and work in a tourist destination frequently visited by riders) and I have not seen a pre evo/pre 1994 Harley in months if not years.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN

People like you will never understand Harley-Davidson.

Think about this: How many Japanese makers have spent billions of dollars designing their own versions of v-twin bikes that try to capture what it is that makes a Harley a Harley? Sure the essence of a Harley is an antiquated engine design that is noisy and shakes and vibrates. But the essence of Harley now was the essence of ALL American motorcycles in the early to mid 20th century. Indian, Crocker, Henderson-Excelsior, Harley--they were all variations on a single theme. Of course, there were break away concepts even back then (like the four cylinder Indian), but the sine qua non of an American motorcycle was then and remains today a single pin crank 45 degree v-twin engine. The only American company that has been smart enough or lucky enough to survive and continue to produce these bikes is Harley. (And, of course, we now have the newly resurrected Indian pumping out v-twin bikes just up the road from me in Kings Mountain, NC.)

People criticize Harley for producing bikes that are not on par with the best from the Japanese companies. From a quality standpoint, that position is untenable. Harley's production standards, fit and finish, and reliability are as good as or better than any other maker out there. Period.

But again, I point to all those companies trying to produce bikes that are like Harleys. Why is that? Is it because a company will build what the consumer demands? That's partly it. But you have to look for the reason for that demand. Why do so many people who want a bike want an antiquated, shaking, vibrating v-twin? Because they are stupid sheep who have been led astray by Harley's marketing department? There are those who no doubt believe that is the case. But for the rest of us who ride Harleys and do so with our eyes wide open, we share a common motive for choosing our bikes and it almost defies explanation. Most, like me, have ridden Japanese bikes (I've had six: four Hondas, a Yamaha, and a Suzuki) but nothing feels like a Harley and none of those other bikes was ever as much fun to jump on and hit the road as a Harley. And if you can't understand that, that's fine. But don't try to convince me that my Harley is inferior because I'm an ignorant boob who has been duped into believing Harleys are the be-all and end-all of motorcycling. Objectively, from a quality standpoint, you can't sustain your position. From a design standpoint, your position is only valid inasmuch as you believe that every company has an obligation to eschew tried and true designs for newer concepts. Again, that position is untenable.

But in the end it all boils down to people's preferences, and no matter what a person rides, a preference is a totally subjective thing. I ride a Harley for the same reason I would hope anyone rides whatever particular make he or she chooses: Because it makes me smile every time I get on it and hit the road.

Very well said. It's like the classic Chevy SB V-8. It is often blasted for being an old design and not DOHC, etc. Well - that engine has evolved and nothing can beat it. Simple, reliable, emmissions clean, powerful and good MPG. You get torque right now as compared to an DOHC engine's torque higher up the rev band.

Harley's rock.

You call Harley riders Village people and you ride an RD350?

Having an acute and clear understanding of what motorcycles are and should be,

What "should" a motorcycle "be" ??
crazy2.gif
It is a machine with 2 wheels and an engine over 5bhp as far as I know. What "should" any machine be? Machines can't really become anything other than what they are as they are inantimate mechanical objects created to do mechanical work and are therefore incapable of becoming something else. Since they are not living creatures and have no behavior as such they are unable to alter their function in any seemingly appealing or unappealing way by themselves so the idea that they "should" do or be anything other than their original design doesn't make sense.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: milwaukee
Originally Posted By: porkchop01
How many Japan bikes do you see from the 60's or even the 70's that are stil on the road? How many? There are still plenty of Harley's on the road from that time.Why is that?

I see hundreds of motorcycles a day (live and work in a tourist destination frequently visited by riders) and I have not seen a pre evo/pre 1994 Harley in months if not years.

I see at least one every week here. In the Summer of course.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

You call Harley riders Village people and you ride an RD350?

I think he would really enjoy riding a Harley if he opened his mind and tried it. Having personally logged over 40,000 miles on an RD350 I can say that my Harley & my RD350 were completely 2 different flavors of the same thing so to speak. Both equally fun and enjoyable. Neither one better than the other. I feel qualified to say this because I have actually owned both machines and ridden them for years.

Where is Rubber City?

Is that Akron?

I think it is cool you see pre evo harley's. I can't remember the last time I saw one and like I said I see hundreds of bikes a week.

RD350's are those stinky 2cycles, that ruin the environment and cause global warming.

Couple that with the fact they just plain sound silly, like a weedwacker with a squeaky baby toy shoved in the muffler, and only one conclusion can be......... well, concluded.

They should be retro-actively outlawed and sent to the crusher, where they belong, before they kill more innocent children with their poisonous exhaust fumes or annoy any more neighborhood pets with their obnoxious nose whistle ding-ding-dinging.

If I ever do buy one I'll change my mind at that time, but until then my moto will be "RD350's. Child killing bug foggers, destroying pet tranquility with every ding."

Atleast my '73 'zuki GT550 handled decent and had 3 cylinders.........like any real 2 cycle street bike should.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back