$14.83 for Harley Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Now to take this even deeper....wonder who makes the replacement filter element for the quick change filter kit harley is selling. You may have seen it - it replaces the filter with a permanant piece that unscrews to reveal a filter cartridge like some newer cars have (think ecotec or Caddy 3.6).

It's not Champion.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN

Be that as it may, you use the filter you are comfortable with, and I will do the same.

I gotta have the chrome filter.......
grin2.gif

I have always used a Harley Filter. I went on the WIX web site and there filter is the same one our truck uses. WIX are good filters it works on my v8 truck I cant see why it wont work on a 2 cylinder bike. Next time I change the oil I will try the filter. I doubt its better but there is no way it will be worse.

Originally Posted By: live_to_hunt
It might be time for a black WIX for $4.00. I just spent $14.83 for a chrome filter at the HD dealer

Yea, I switched to Black too but I buy them from Hales HD at a 20% discount over the internet. Buy a bunch at a time and your set. There's something about the micron rating that's good for the V Twin so I stick to the OEM filter.

Originally Posted By: porkchop01
So, would a WIX filter be a good replacment on a new TC88?

Not IMO...if you buy the black one the HD filter is not much more than the wix.

Originally Posted By: PT1
Originally Posted By: milwaukee
We all know how important looks are to HD riders. Seriously, a chrome oil filter? That seems very gay to me.

You obviously don't ride a Harley.
LOL.gif
My bike has lot's of chrome on it and I get compliments on it every time I ride. Back in the 70's I had a candy apple red 66 Fairlane GTA convertible with the Shelby 289/302 engine which had the custom chrome valve covers, water pump, coil, air cleaner, battery box, alternator, cragar mags, etc.

People loved opening the hood on that car. I thought I was going to die when some creep stole it and stripped it.

It's all about what you like and has no bearing on your sexual preferences. Guys with chrome Harleys...like them that way.

If you don't believe me go to a local bike night and start telling Harley riders that you think they are gay because they have a chrome oil filter.
LOL.gif

Seriously if I go to a local 'bike night' I will see my dentist, my kids 3rd grade teacher, and some guys that work at the city water dept. Hardly the type that worry me if they get wrankled.

Grown men playing dress up and trying their [censored] to look 'tough' are what ruins harley's for others.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: milwaukee

Seriously if I go to a local 'bike night' I will see my dentist, my kids 3rd grade teacher, and some guys that work at the city water dept. Hardly the type that worry me if they get wrankled.

Grown men playing dress up and trying their [censored] to look 'tough' are what ruins harley's for others.

How would that "ruin" anything for anyone other than those who were concerned how they look on their big tough Harley? I get the biggest kick out of the guys who think they are the "real bikers" of the motorcycle world and are upset by the general public "violating" their stereotype.
LOL.gif
Last time I checked pretty much anybody who had the money could walk into a Harley Davidson dealership and ride out on a brand new one anytime. This general acceptance by many of the baby boomer generation who either never owned a motorcycle but always wanted one or owned one in the past but gave up riding because of career/family obligations and wanted to re-enter the market has allowed Harley Davidson to have the adequate funding to develop the bikes they have now. If it were not for the "posers" who have financially revitalized Harley after the AMF days they would likely have gone the way of the Indian.

So, next time you go to bike night and see your dentist & all those others playing dress up you might wish to say "thanks" for helping keep Harley Davidson afloat.

Just imagine if they had bought GM or Chrysler vehicles & clothing with that level of enthusiasm. Both automakers would be thriving right now.
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: ViragoBry
A Yamaha cartridge filter (no chrome) costs me around $13 at the dealer. I'm looking online for better deals...that's rediculous.

$4.50/ea on ebay

I'd say that 90% of HD owners know nothing about bikes. They know the words Harley Davidson simply from the excessive marketing campaign that HD have been flogging for the last 30 years. HD sells image over substance. Let's face it. Their machines are anachronisms. Water pump engines designed 100 years ago, massaged over the last century and mounted in a two wheeled frame. Other than good looks, HDs don't have much going for them. They're pretty much out-classed in every aspect by every other motorcycle manufacturer other than price. Most HD purchasers haven't got a clue of what a cam shaft or a push rod is. They have much more knowledge about the size and fit of all the ridiculously expensive "Willie G" wear that they'll be modeling.

Personally, I don't care if they want to look like one of the Village People. That's their choice. When they put on the straight pipes and start p!ssing in my ears, that's where I have a problem with them.

By the way, had GM and Chrysler built better products, they wouldn't be where they are today. They've had very many years to develop an enthusiastic customer base and forty years ago they had it. As their attitude toward quality took a nose dive, so did their customer base. I'm surprised they've lasted as long as they have.

Most people in North America don't buy motorcycles for serious transportation purposes. In the majority of cases, it's no more than an image enhancer to some and an expensive recreation device to others. Four wheeled vehicles are serious transportation for most of us. Image and recreation take a back seat when it comes to getting to work every day.

Mediocrity does not stimulate enthusiasm.

I hate fake bikers. I also hate 1% types. They both ride for image.

Seriously, how many black t-shirts does one man need?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: boraticus
I'd say that 90% of HD owners know nothing about bikes. They know the words Harley Davidson simply from the excessive marketing campaign that HD have been flogging for the last 30 years. HD sells image over substance. Let's face it. Their machines are anachronisms. Water pump engines designed 100 years ago, massaged over the last century and mounted in a two wheeled frame. Other than good looks, HDs don't have much going for them. They're pretty much out-classed in every aspect by every other motorcycle manufacturer other than price.

You are so full of baloney. I've looked and compared the quality of Japanese bikes with the two Harleys I've owned. There is no comparison. The quality of the paint, quality of the chrome, quality of the welds, metal instead of plastic, and a dozen other objective and subjective things distinguish a Harley from other bikes. There just is no comparison. Every Japanese bike I've looked at up close was JUNK compared to a modern Harley.

As for reliability, I've put 4400 miles on my new Super Glide since January with ZERO problems. It was the same way with the Sportster I traded for it. Two years on that and ZERO problems.

I'd say that 90% of HD owners know nothing about bikes. They know the words Harley Davidson simply from the excessive marketing campaign that HD have been flogging for the last 30 years. HD sells image over substance. Let's face it. Their machines are anachronisms. Water pump engines designed 100 years ago, massaged over the last century and mounted in a two wheeled frame. Other than good looks, HDs don't have much going for them. They're pretty much out-classed in every aspect by every other motorcycle manufacturer other than price. Most HD purchasers haven't got a clue of what a cam shaft or a push rod is. They have much more knowledge about the size and fit of all the ridiculously expensive "Willie G" wear that they'll be modeling.

Personally, I don't care if they want to look like one of the Village People. That's their choice. When they put on the straight pipes and start p!ssing in my ears, that's where I have a problem with them.

By the way, had GM and Chrysler built better products, they wouldn't be where they are today. They've had very many years to develop an enthusiastic customer base and forty years ago they had it. As their attitude toward quality took a nose dive, so did their customer base. I'm surprised they've lasted as long as they have.

Most people in North America don't buy motorcycles for serious transportation purposes. In the majority of cases, it's no more than an image enhancer to some and an expensive recreation device to others. Four wheeled vehicles are serious transportation for most of us. Image and recreation take a back seat when it comes to getting to work every day.

Mediocrity does not stimulate enthusiasm.
I would agree to a point,but some of us out here ride Harley's everyday to work and everywhere. My Truck is 1 year older than my bike and has less miles on it than my Harley. I ride it more because I like to ride it more than drive a cage. And i dont get into playing dress up either, Leathers are for the winter only for me,wich dont last long down here in Tx.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
I'd say that 90% of HD owners know nothing about bikes. They know the words Harley Davidson simply from the excessive marketing campaign that HD have been flogging for the last 30 years. HD sells image over substance. Let's face it. Their machines are anachronisms. Water pump engines designed 100 years ago, massaged over the last century and mounted in a two wheeled frame. Other than good looks, HDs don't have much going for them. They're pretty much out-classed in every aspect by every other motorcycle manufacturer other than price.

You are so full of baloney. I've looked and compared the quality of Japanese bikes with the two Harleys I've owned. There is no comparison. The quality of the paint, quality of the chrome, quality of the welds, metal instead of plastic, and a dozen other objective and subjective things distinguish a Harley from other bikes. There just is no comparison. Every Japanese bike I've looked at up close was JUNK compared to a modern Harley.

As for reliability, I've put 4400 miles on my new Super Glide since January with ZERO problems. It was the same way with the Sportster I traded for it. Two years on that and ZERO problems.

4400 miles? You're proud of that?

I'm certain that in your mind, HD is the best thing going. Despite your vehement claims of HD superiority, I'm sure there are millions of other who would disagree. Me included. To say I'm full of baloney is more than a little inaccurate. I know that the indoctrinated HD flock are programmed to defend the brand and I understand your objection to hearing the truth. If you were to say otherwise, Willie G. would have you called back to the mother ship for a new (stronger) chip implant.

G-man is right on. The import wannabees are cheaply made. The only place Japanese bikes are better is with the Sport crotch rockets, which Harley has no desire to compete with. Oh and resale value --- no Japanese bike can match a Harley there. And parts? Wow, still can get parts for early 1900's Harleys but good luck getting parts for even a 1990 Japanese bike.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
G-man is right on. The import wannabees are cheaply made. The only place Japanese bikes are better is with the Sport crotch rockets, which Harley has no desire to compete with. Oh and resale value --- no Japanese bike can match a Harley there. And parts? Wow, still can get parts for early 1900's Harleys but good luck getting parts for even a 1990 Japanese bike.

More than a few inaccuracies in those comments. I have five early '70s Yamahas. No problem getting parts. All bikes run well and the two I have restored are very potent little machines.

If you do the math regarding re-sale, you will see that Harleys don't fetch the price they once did. That's what happens when you make a million bikes, sell them through your own finance company to people who can't afford to pay for them. You end up with 999900 used Harleys on the market and no one to buy them. Have you looked at how cheaply you can buy a Harley these days? Have you looked to see how many Harleys are for sale? Harley re-sale value is a myth. A thing of the past. Sure, you'll get a few grand more for a 2006 Fat Boy than you will for a 2006 Honda VTX 1300. But let's not forget that you paid twice the price for the Harley.

If Harleys were priced for what they're worth, I'd have more respect for the brand. However, when a motorcycle that is mediocre at best demands such a high premium for the name, that kind of sours my view of the brand.

I own a USA built bike that will out perform any stock Harley short of a V-Rod and actually handles better than a V-Rod. It's a Honda Valkyrie. I've never seen a review, test or report where any Harley product out performed a Valkyrie.

GMan is proud of the fact that he's got 4400 trouble free miles on his new Harley. Well, that makes me laugh. 4400 miles is just 400 miles past the half way point of the Valkyrie's factory recommended oil change interval which is every 8000 miles.

I never denied that Harleys look good. GMan listed all of the cosmetic advantages of the Harley and I agree. However, glitz and chrome aren't what makes a motorcycle great. I've never read or heard of a machine that commanded respect for it's looks alone. Mediocre handling, mediocre speed, mediocre comfort, comparatively mediocre reliability and a ridiculous price are not characteristics that garner respect. As such, Harley doesn't get too much from me.

The frames are better too for 2009.My father does not pay that price for the oil filter for 2006,My brother Scott gets it for him at a lower price.My brother Scott works at Hot Rod Harley in Muskegon,Mi in the service department.Japanese motorcycles lose a third of their value and the Harleys raise in value.I did hear Honda did stop building their Goldwings in Ohio and shipped the production back in Japan where it should be.Honda takes their profits back to Japan.I know a guy that has a Harley for sale,least $50,000.00 and it was owned by a celebrity: Evel Kneivel with proof,the paperwork and pictures.He even that one which was owned by country singer Trisha Yearwood.

.....Harley re-sale value is a myth. A thing of the past. Sure, you'll get a few grand more for a 2006 Fat Boy than you will for a 2006 Honda VTX 1300. But let's not forget that you paid twice the price for the Harley.

If Harleys were priced for what they're worth, I'd have more respect for the brand. However, when a motorcycle that is mediocre at best demands such a high premium for the name, that kind of sours my view of the brand.
Boraticus, I disagree with some of this. I will agree that Harley's reasle value has dropped some, but as for the price differences when bought new, no.

I bought a brand new Honda Goldwing in 2002. I paid just over $16k for it. It was a good bike, no doubt. It did have two factory recalls for serious issues, though. Overheating and cracks in the frame that could lead to serious safety problems.

In 2006 I went shopping for a new bike. I found a brand new Electra Glide at the Harley dealer for just over $16k (almost the same price). It was a last year model, and fairly stripped, but not an issue to me. I didn't buy it because my Honda had depreciated to mid $8k (from their book of trade in prices).

I was not impressed, and didn't buy the Harley. I sold my Goldwing outright instead.

On a different note, and not directed at you. When I bought the Goldwing it didn't have a CB. I had one on my previous Aspencade, and wanted another, so I checked on the price of the Goldwing CB system. $900 Farkin' dollars from the dealer!!

Needless to say I went CB'less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back