$14.83 for Harley Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually $14 is the going price for the Harley filter - which for the Twin Cams is a 10micron filter. When going aftermarket you gotta be sure the filter is a 10 micron. If you look at J&P Cycles, for instance, you can get a Per-Form chrome oil filter for around $10 or a chrome K&N for $14. Add shipping and you may as well just let the local HD dealer rape you. My rule of thumb was if the filter is hidden (like underneath like some baggers) then a painted filter is fine. If exposed, I like the chrome filters.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Actually $14 is the going price for the Harley filter - which for the Twin Cams is a 10micron filter. When going aftermarket you gotta be sure the filter is a 10 micron.

Actually, the HD filter for Twin Cams is 5 micron nominal, but this is not a performance spec for the oil filters for TC engines. I have verified through Champion (who makes the HD filter) that a Super Tech ST3614 filter meets all the Harley OEM filter requirements, so that's what I use. It's about 1/4 the cost of the "genuine" Harley filter.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: XS650
Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Originally Posted By: boraticus

Another tip.... Some people cut a beer can or soda can to length, polish it down to bare metal and slip that over the filter.
On the right bike, the beer can, but not polished down, rather showing its full label glory, would be really cool!
crazy2.gif

134978.jpg

I've got every Harley bike week can from 1984!

I got the 6-Pack from 1987!

A Yamaha cartridge filter (no chrome) costs me around $13 at the dealer. I'm looking online for better deals...that's rediculous.

I currently have an '07 Softail. The only time I've had it at the dealer was for a tech bulletin fix under warranty. Warranty is out now so I have an Indy I trust for the more complicated fixes or upgrades that may come along.

I change my own fluids when needed. I have all the factory shop manuals and most of the tools needed to do routine maintenance and repair. I use the M1 V Twin 20-50 in the engine, Spectro in the trans and Syn 3 in the primary. The HD filter is spendy but I use it anyway.

My bike has a good amount of chrome but I won't apologize for that. I like it! I keep the bike pretty clean without being obsessive about it...well maybe a little.
LOL.gif

I don't ride in the rain because I don't enjoy it and can drive my truck the 6-8 months of the year I can't ride. Otherwise, I ride as much as I can. To work 5 days a week and on weekends for the pleasure of it.

Most of the Harley owners I know are like me when it comes to maintenance and/or repair. We do what we can and ride when weather is good enough.

I haven't gone to Starbucks or the donut shop on the bike. But I don't have anything against those that do.
12.gif

Originally Posted By: live_to_hunt
It might be time for a black WIX for $4.00. I just spent $14.83 for a chrome filter at the HD dealer

What are you complaining about? You paid 3 prices for your motorcycle, why not 3 prices for the oil filter? Anything associated with Harley is over-priced. Shopping for cheaper oil filters after getting your head "knocked off" on the price of a motorcycle is like being "penny-wise and dollar-foolish" Suck it up already.

Originally Posted By: ZGRider
Originally Posted By: live_to_hunt
It might be time for a black WIX for $4.00. I just spent $14.83 for a chrome filter at the HD dealer
What are you complaining about? You paid 3 prices for your motorcycle, why not 3 prices for the oil filter?
What did he pay fo his bike? Do you know? How is it you know he paid 3 prices for his bike?
Originally Posted By: ZG Rider
Anything associated with Harley is over-priced.
Are parts prices really higher than their competitors? I've had 17 bikes in my life, and only a few were Harley's. I've bought many parts for all of them, over the years. In my experience I don't see Harley's genuine parts prices are all that much different than Honda's or any other.

I'll admit Harley's, as a complete bike, usually do bring a premium price. Harley's may be a higher price when bought, but they also bring a substanstially higher resale price.
Originally Posted By: ZGRider
Shopping for cheaper oil filters after getting your head "knocked off" on the price of a motorcycle is like being "penny-wise and dollar-foolish" Suck it up already.
Yeah, whatever you do, live-to-hunt, don't talk about filters or oil prices on an oil dedicated forum!!
smirk2.gif

So what is this forum for, anyways, ZG?

Get some gabs in whenever possible?

I buy all my Harley parts from Zanotti HD on line. Usually about 25% less. So I buy in bulk to reduce ship cost. Every year my dealer has a 20% off sale in December so that is when I shop for anything I can't get from Zanotti's. I think I paid about $8 for chrome HD oil filters the last time I bought a case. As far buying chrome parts for my Harley...I buy them all on ebay new. I got a $2,400 set of roadwinder wheels for $995 and sold my stock wheels for $500 on ebay. So, every add on part I have has been way below retail. You have to avoid walking into the dealer if possible because they will stab you every time.

As for using an automotive filter? I wouldn't as it won't meet the HD specs. Not worth grenading a $4000 engine for an extra $4 IMO.

As for cleaning my bike...I am with GMAN on the lemon pledge deal. I bought some micro fiber cloths and a can of pledge last week for $5 and did the bike...looks like showroom condition.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: milwaukee
We all know how important looks are to HD riders. Seriously, a chrome oil filter? That seems very gay to me.

You obviously don't ride a Harley.
LOL.gif
My bike has lot's of chrome on it and I get compliments on it every time I ride. Back in the 70's I had a candy apple red 66 Fairlane GTA convertible with the Shelby 289/302 engine which had the custom chrome valve covers, water pump, coil, air cleaner, battery box, alternator, cragar mags, etc.

People loved opening the hood on that car. I thought I was going to die when some creep stole it and stripped it.

It's all about what you like and has no bearing on your sexual preferences. Guys with chrome Harleys...like them that way.

If you don't believe me go to a local bike night and start telling Harley riders that you think they are gay because they have a chrome oil filter.
LOL.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PT1
As for using an automotive filter? I wouldn't as it won't meet the HD specs. Not worth grenading a $4000 engine for an extra $4 IMO.

Two of us over on the HD forum contacted Champion individually and asked if the Super Tech ST3614 was listed internally at Champion as a replacement filter for Harley Twin Cam engines. We both got the same answer: Yes. The Champ PH3614 and the identical Super Tech ST3614 meet ALL OEM filter requirements for Harley Twin Cam engines and are approved by Champion for use as direct replacement filters for the HD OEM filter. This was confirmed on the phone with a Champion tech, and then by e-mail with a different Champion tech.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN

Two of us over on the HD forum contacted Champion individually and asked if the Super Tech ST3614 was listed internally at Champion as a replacement filter for Harley Twin Cam engines. We both got the same answer: Yes. The Champ PH3614 and the identical Super Tech ST3614 meet ALL OEM filter requirements for Harley Twin Cam engines and are approved by Champion for use as direct replacement filters for the HD OEM filter. This was confirmed on the phone with a Champion tech, and then by e-mail with a different Champion tech.

He is lying. Or doesn know his butt from an oil filter. I am not going to argue this point but no ST filters have synthetic media like the HD ones do. That is a fact. They might be approved by Champion but NOT by Harley Davidson.

Last edited:
He is lying. Or doesn know his butt from an oil filter. I am not going to argue this point but no ST filters have synthetic media like the HD ones do. That is a fact. They might be approved by Champion but NOT by Harley Davidson.

Yes, I'm quite sure you know more about the HD filters than Champion, the company that makes them.
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: G-MAN

Yes, I'm quite sure you know more about the HD filters than Champion, the company that makes them.
smirk2.gif

I am going by what HD specs for the motorcycle engines they make that's all. A ST filter doesn't have 5 micron filtration that is the spec for the Vtwin engine. Sure it will screw on as will other filters but there are other considerations besides fitment when choosing the correct filter.

Did some checking,

Champion PH7022 at Performance Filtration: $12.60
PH2835 " " " " " $5.06
Fram PH6065A (7022 equivalent) at Autozone:$12.79

HD 63798-99A at Zanotti HD on line: $11.50

So you are paying for the chrome cover.

Last edited:
BTW, the Champion labs website product locator shows 2 filters for my 2006 TC88:

PH7022-chrome
PH2835-black

Yeah, the Champ PH2835 and the ST3614 are the same filter. I was typing from memory, which isn't too good sometimes.

SuperTech uses the Fram numbering system, while Champ uses it on some of their filters and not on others. (PH2835 is not a Fram part number.) If you use the cross reference and type in PH3614 the equivalent Champ is PH2835. And as I said, the Champ tech told me the ST3614 and PH2835 are identical filters, and both meet Harley OEM filter requirements.

As for the 5 micron nonsense, that's all it is--nonsense. Harley does not spec 5 micron nominal filtration. If they did, Champion could not claim the ST3614 meets the OEM requirements because it is not a 5 micron filter.

Be that as it may, you use the filter you are comfortable with, and I will do the same.

Now to take this even deeper....wonder who makes the replacement filter element for the quick change filter kit harley is selling. You may have seen it - it replaces the filter with a permanant piece that unscrews to reveal a filter cartridge like some newer cars have (think ecotec or Caddy 3.6).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back