'13 Ford Focus Supertech syn or syn high mileage?

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
Thinking of my next oil change on our '13 Focus that I have owned since new. Always had dealer oil changes since new because they were part of the purchase. Motorcraft syn blend 5W20 over its 110K mile life with Motorcraft filters. No notable oil consumption. Average OCI has been about 6500 miles. Going to try the Wallyworld oil and stick with Motorcraft filter. Any reason to use the Supertech syn high mileage over their regular syn 5W20?

Can't change my own, old + condo that would throw me out. Running non HiMi ST now but seems some Wally stores had featured the HiMi in the past as their $30+ oil change special. Don't remember much difference. If I was changing my own it would probably be hi mileage. IIRC they have the same add pack other than more conditioners. BTW I was using VWB from a tire change $10 oil filter rotate package. Have a bunch of coupons. The Valvoline burns 1.5 quarts per 5k OCI, the ST syn burns under half that

No need for HM. It can help with minor leaks due to seals but if you don't need it, I wouldn't bother. I'd keep doing what I was doing.

Seems there is two schools of thought on HM oil here, some say wait until you have issues before using it and the other is and I believe the way it was intended as a preventative.

I'm going to which to a HM oil in my Lucerne this spring mainly because since I switched to synthetic it has been using a little oil, it never did this when I was using a blend.

Didn't we at one point determine that it might actually be the exact same oil in different bottles, the last time I checked both the Full Syn and Full Syn High Mileage had the same Dexos numbers printed on them, also Supertech is probably the same as MAG1 just with a Supertech label and there is no full syn high mileage MAG1 just the full syn, leading me to be even more suspicious that ST FS and ST FSHM are the same oil in different labeled bottles. Next time I'm at Meijer I'm going to check the full syn against the full syn high mileage and see if they have the same Dexos numbers because that oil is also made by WPP.

Didn't we at one point determine that it might actually be the exact same oil in different bottles, the last time I checked both the Full Syn and Full Syn High Mileage had the same Dexos numbers printed on them, also Supertech is probably the same as MAG1 just with a Supertech label and there is no full syn high mileage MAG1 just the full syn, leading me to be even more suspicious that ST FS and ST FSHM are the same oil in different labeled bottles. Next time I'm at Meijer I'm going to check the full syn against the full syn high mileage and see if they have the same Dexos numbers because that oil is also made by WPP.
Amazon Basics, Kirkland Signature, Supertech, and Mag1 are all identical. Project Farm has run VOA's on the first three.

STHMFS API SP and ST Regular FS API SP both look near identical in their add packs.
PQIA has a VOA on STHMFS and I found a PDS from Warren on ST Regular FS.

The difference, if any, would have to be in any seal conditioners in the HM that aren't shown on an oil analysis.

I think based on this discussion we will go standard ST syn for the Focus with the 20K mile Fram Ultra filter. Car gets 3K a year so that should about do it for oil filters until he is out of college..hahahaha

Have you had any issues with the DCT transmission in the Focus? PS: I would think that a reputable company like WPP wouldn't be so cute as to label the exact same product as their regular synthetic as 'HM'....I'd be very surprised if there isn't additional deal conditioners in the HM version.

Have you had any issues with the DCT transmission in the Focus? PS: I would think that a reputable company like WPP wouldn't be so cute as to label the exact same product as their regular synthetic as 'HM'....I'd be very surprised if there isn't additional deal conditioners in the HM version.
No b/c I was smart and bought the 5-speed! I always do my homework and the DCT was so problematic when I bought mine new in '13 that I decided it wasn't worth it. Plus, this was the perfect car for a stick - small/not powerful. Mine is the loaded SE so all the options and that was hard to find with a manual - had to get it from a dealer out of state. #worthit

I also bought a new 2014 Focus SE and like you..I bought a stick...No issues at all in 53K. I really like the handling and (higher) seating position which is more comfortable than any other small car I've had. The only thing I don't like is the clutch...I really have to concentrate to get smooth take-offs (unlike any of the numerous sticks I've driven in over 40 years of driving them). I did the 'snorkel delete' which did help but I still get bucking on take off occasionally if I'm not concentrating.

I also bought a new 2014 Focus SE and like you..I bought a stick...No issues at all in 53K. I really like the handling and (higher) seating position which is more comfortable than any other small car I've had. The only thing I don't like is the clutch...I really have to concentrate to get smooth take-offs (unlike any of the numerous sticks I've driven in over 40 years of driving them). I did the 'snorkel delete' which did help but I still get bucking on take off occasionally if I'm not concentrating.
I agree - take offs, especially when it's hot can require lots of gas and like you, driving sticks for over 30 years. Snorkel delete here as well plus the RS air box - just a noise maker really but some folks swear these bits help throttle response some. The only way to help the issue we are talking about is to get a tune which I have thought about.
20200712_084527.jpg

Reactions: pbm
Grabbed the HM - they were all out of the standard syn. Decided to grab the $3 and change MC filter...cheap oil change right there!
20210307_153520.jpg

No b/c I was smart and bought the 5-speed! I always do my homework and the DCT was so problematic when I bought mine new in '13 that I decided it wasn't worth it. Plus, this was the perfect car for a stick - small/not powerful. Mine is the loaded SE so all the options and that was hard to find with a manual - had to get it from a dealer out of state. #worthit
I have a 2012 with the automated DC and a 2014 5 speed manual. I really like them both. The automatic is definitely different, but ironically for those who drive the stick version, the automated DC is not all that different. It just isn't like a regular automatic transmission which throws a ton of people off. We bought it used and so far it has been flawless. One of my college age boys drives it. I will say that the 2014 manual is also a SE version with the appearance package. I do love to drive it and it looks great with the black leather seats and awesome alloy rims. We also got that one used at 10,000 miles. Got a great deal because no one wants to drive manual transmissions anymore. Taught my then 16 year old how to drive it and now that is all he wants to drive. Both have been great cars. My driveway looks like a Ford car lot these days...

And in both cars (since I do the maintenance) get steady diet of Castrol Magnetec 0W-20 or 5W-20 and FLS 910-S

Back