10w Temperature

I remember the Amoco selling in Kmart 35 or so years ago for $.88 a quart when Pennzoil was a buck and a quarter. I stuck with the Pennzoil.
I used to get the Amoco at Western Auto by the case. I don't remember the price per case but I know they'd often run it with a rebate and after the rebate it ended up being free. I'm thinking when they ran it on sale it was $5. a case with a $5. rebate. The Chrysler I was driving for a work car at the time used oil so I usually kept a case in the trunk.

Last edited:
We used this 10W-30 in all temps way back when... even in the frigid times before Global Warming.

Attachments

• A723063F-0A73-419E-9FB1-A2EFD013D18A.jpeg
    A723063F-0A73-419E-9FB1-A2EFD013D18A.jpeg
    33.6 KB · Views: 12
If you look at this great chart from Gokhan:
viscosity chart
you can find many entries where the KV40 number for a 5W30 is actually higher than for a 10W30 from the same manufacturer.

We used this 10W-30 in all temps way back when... even in the frigid times before Global Warming.
I used straight 30 in my SCJ 428 Mach 1in cold Northern NV until 71 and everyone I knew was doing the same. My great ARCO owner/mechanic got me on their brand 10w40. My car buds said my car would blow with the thin oil. I must have done at least 200 drag races on that brand and it served me well. First 2 weeks in January were typically around -10 at sun rise.

Generally speaking....is there really a big difference in startup protection between 5/30 and 10/30?

From what I can gather....5w is around -45F and 10w is about -39F. Both of those temps are well below anything we see around here. We see single digit temps here and there. But our winters are generally teens to low 30s at night.

If I used a 10w oil would I be giving up enough protection to warrant any concern?

as long as the minimum temperature requirements are met 10w30 is fine. I prefer to Run it but will get drawn away for sales.

I know -45F and -39F are in the technical specs, but personally:
I would only use a 10w30 above 10F.
I would only use a 5w30 above -10F.
Anything below -10F, I would run a 0w30 or even 0w20 if the manufacturer allows that.
I don't have any scientific reasons or justification for this, I just know that the lower W number relates to cold flow, 10F is cold and -10F is very cold. May sound silly but I wanted to chime in with my "feelings" lol :D

Well....the free oil found a home. Had a friend of my wife's drop something off for my wife the other day. She's a hard working single mom and drives a 12 year old Prius with a 170k on it. I was in the garage and stepped out to chat with her. She couldn't remember exactly when the oil had been changed last...and I knew it had been awhile since I had done it.

So I asked her if she had a little time I would take care of it. She said yes. So I ran down the street to Meijer and picked up a Fram TG. In went the free Meijer brand 10w-30 conventional. Had about a half a quart left over....that went into my Frankenoil mower jug.

Charity changes are some of my favorite wrenchin' to do. Some folks just need a little helping hand. I have no problem paying it forward.

BTW....looks like this thread got cleaned up a little. Seeing some missing posts.

Last edited:
Well....the free oil found a home. Had a friend of my wife's drop something off for my wife the other day. She's a hard working single mom and drives a 12 year old Prius with a 170k on it. I was in the garage and stepped out to chat with her. She couldn't remember exactly when the oil had been changed last...and I knew it had been awhile since I had done it.

So I asked her if she had a little time I would take care of it. She said yes. So I ran down the street to Meijer and picked up a Fram TG. In went the free Meijer brand 10w-30 conventional. Had about a half a quart left over....that went into my Frankenoil mower jug.

Charity changes are some of my favorite wrenchin' to do. Some folks just need a little helping hand. I have no problem paying it forward.

BTW....looks like this thread got cleaned up a little. Seeing some missing posts.
Folks like yourself make this world a better place 🇺🇸🇨🇦👍

as always there are variables with the base oils of the same viscosity. the sold spec is @ 40C aka 104 F + base oils vary as they get colder. conventional oils thicken faster as temps drop, semi synthetic + todays fake group III oils are better depending on the base oil combination percentages + real synthetic PAO + ester oils thicken the least as temps drop from the spec @ 104F. thats the tip of the iceburg-information so check out oils 101 etc on this forum to learn more!!

I learned on this site that going from 10w-30 to 5w-30 buys you around 15 degF in viscosity. In other words 5w-30 at 20 degF has the same viscosity as 10w-30 at 35 degF. Not that exciting when winter morning temperatures can vary from -10 to 40 degF.

I learned on this site that going from 10w-30 to 5w-30 buys you around 15 degF in viscosity. In other words 5w-30 at 20 degF has the same viscosity as 10w-30 at 35 degF. Not that exciting when winter morning temperatures can vary from -10 to 40 degF.
Yes, and all of which are far thick enough at those temperatures to provide sufficient MOFT and protection, which was the basis for my question about what that word meant.

Overkill gave the correct engineering figures for cold cranking and cold pumping.

My general rule of thumb is that 10W30 is good, even preferable for its shear stability, down to 0F (or about -20C). Below that it’s time for 5W30. That is easy to remember and gives ample margin for safety for a bit of a cold snap.

BTW I’m assuming that both 30 grades are formulated the same way from the same company when I say the 10W30 is more shear stable than 5W30. Lots of variables here.

Back