10w Temperature

Generally speaking....is there really a big difference in startup protection between 5/30 and 10/30?

From what I can gather....5w is around -45F and 10w is about -39F. Both of those temps are well below anything we see around here. We see single digit temps here and there. But our winters are generally teens to low 30s at night.

If I used a 10w oil would I be giving up enough protection to warrant any concern?

This is a good question as I'm in a similar situation. I have some ProDS 10w30 I need to use but the truck specifies 5w30.

This is a good question as I'm in a similar situation. I have some ProDS 10w30 I need to use but the truck specifies 5w30.
That's basically the situation I'm in. I have almost 5 quarts 10w-30 given to me

The cold cranking test limit for the 5w-xx winter rating is -30C (-22F) versus -25C (-13F) for the 10w-xx one. This is the point where it's possible that the viscosity of the oil can impact your engine's ability to crank over satisfactorily. I doubt there's any risk of damage, simply the risk of not starting.

The pumping test limit for the 5w-xx winter rating is -35C (-31F) versus -30C (-22F) for the 10w-xx one. This is the point where it is possible the viscosity of the oil can prevent it from being picked up by the pump. If your engine happens to be one that's sensitive in this respect, then there is a risk.

Where did the temperatures you stated in the OP come from?

Read through this thread, it might help: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/when-is-cold-too-cold-for-10w-30.80985/

I've done the freezer test on both 5w-30 and 10w-30, and I can tell a difference easily. Is it enough to appreciably increase engine wear? Perhaps not.

If you have a good quality 10w-30, I see no reason not to use it in winter in that climate. If you're at the store looking for an oil to run for winter, I'd choose the 5w-30.

The cold cranking test limit for the 5w-xx winter rating is -30C (-22F) versus -25C (-13F) for the 10w-xx one. This is the point where it's possible that the viscosity of the oil can impact your engine's ability to crank over satisfactorily. I doubt there's any risk of damage, simply the risk of not starting.

The pumping test limit for the 5w-xx winter rating is -35C (-31F) versus -30C (-22F) for the 10w-xx one. This is the point where it is possible the viscosity of the oil can prevent it from being picked up by the pump. If your engine happens to be one that's sensitive in this respect, then there is a risk.

Where did the temperatures you stated in the OP come from?
Got those numbers from researching. That certainly doesn't mean they are correct

Read through this thread, it might help: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/when-is-cold-too-cold-for-10w-30.80985/

I've done the freezer test on both 5w-30 and 10w-30, and I can tell a difference easily. Is it enough to appreciably increase engine wear? Perhaps not.

If you have a good quality 10w-30, I see no reason not to use it in winter in that climate. If you're at the store looking for an oil to run for winter, I'd choose the 5w-30.
I run 5/30 but had a neighbor getting rid of an almost full jug of Warren 10/30. Hated to see him take to the recycling center. It's not very old. I suppose I could just use it in my mower and pressure washer.

Thanks for the info

In 45 years and approximately 1M miles worth of driving 10w40 has served me well using it year around. I'm in a area where we occasionally see temps in the negative single digits and maybe once or twice every several years see negative teens. At your listed temperatures I wouldn't worry at all about using 10w oils.

While I don't know all the technical aspects of it, if it were me I'd toss it in the Taco and call it a day. Heck it might even quiet the noisy engine when cold. We have the same winter and I've ran 10w30 in several vehicles with no ill effect.

Looks like you listed the pour points of the oils.
I've seen info that 20W oils can be used down to about 0 F.
You could use the info on the oils you are thinking about, 40C and 100C viscosities, and use the Widman "Graph your oil" to see how much actual difference there is in viscosity between the oils you are looking at.

(To see the graph your browser must support Flash)

Sample viscosity cSt data for Red Line oils at 0C / 32 F-
RL 0W-30 587.4
RL 5W-30 613.9
RL 10W-30 641.0

about a 5% difference in viscosity between the 5w and 10w oils.

Looks like you listed the pour points of the oils.
I've seen info that 20W oils can be used down to about 0 F.
You could use the info on the oils you are thinking about, 40C and 100C viscosities, and use the Widman "Graph your oil" to see how much actual difference there is in viscosity between the oils you are looking at.

(To see the graph your browser must support Flash)

Sample viscosity cSt data for Red Line oils at 0C / 32 F-
RL 0W-30 587.4
RL 5W-30 613.9
RL 10W-30 641.0

about a 5% difference in viscosity between the 5w and 10w oils.

Keep in mind that visc calcs don't tend to work much below 0C and become wildly inaccurate.

In 45 years and approximately 1M miles worth of driving 10w40 has served me well using it year around. I'm in a area where we occasionally see temps in the negative single digits and maybe once or twice every several years see negative teens. At your listed temperatures I wouldn't worry at all about using 10w oils.
Thanks for the info. Like I said, my neighbor gave me some 10/30. My 1st thought was this will be some good lawn mower oil. But I've also been reading some info around here lately about VI's and their effect on shear. From what I can gather the smaller the gap between the 2 numbers, the less likely the oil is to shear.....although M1 0/40 seems to be an exception.

So I thought...does that mean a 10/30 is a little less likely to shear than a 5/30? Figured I'd ask.

Thanks.....appreciate that

Overkill is certainly correct...

One thing to remember... That the oils are allowed to drop a grade while in service.

Aka a 5w can become a 10w and a 10w can be a 15w...

Keep that in mind too.

I'd run the 10w30 with no problem. Unless one lives in northern NY State, Vermont, New Hampshire away from the coastal area, western Maine, northwest Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, and maybe even Nebraska and potentially Iowa... Even in areas like Ohio, Indiana and Illinois can get to -13°F or a bit colder. Especially if there is substantial ice and snow pack north and west of those areas... Like North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Montana and Iowa. The ice and snow pack have a HUGE impact on how much cold air stays cold has it heads south and eastward. The amount of modification of the air is greatly affected by how much snow and ice pack there is or is not in place has Arctic air moves into areas like Iowa, Indiana Ohio etc... Including areas even where I am at it makes a difference too.

And this as nothing to do with "being smarter than the engineers".....which seems to be the standard go-to remark to anyone asking basic questions about lubricants.

Nor does it have to do with over thinking anything. It's genuine curiosity and desire to learn.

Sometimes I think some folks around here forget than when someone is "researching" something, often times search engines bring up this site. In fact, it was a basic Google search a few years ago on an oil topic that brought me here.

I see lots of snarky remarks/posts from people towards others asking questions they see as stupid or unimportant. Not all of us are all knowing on the subject of oils. In my case, that's why I'm here....to learn.

I say go ahead and use the 10w30.
Here in Seattle we don't have super cold weather, and all else equal a 10w30 should be more shear stable than 5w30. Because of this, I run 10w30 in my old Subaru which calls for 5w30. It's never had a problem starting even in +10*F weather which is the coldest I've ever seen it here. And UOA is clean.

While I don't know all the technical aspects of it, if it were me I'd toss it in the Taco and call it a day. Heck it might even quiet the noisy engine when cold. We have the same winter and I've ran 10w30 in several vehicles with no ill effect.
I'm not one to lose any sleep when it comes to oil. I would run it without reservation. But figured it couldn't hurt to ask a question.

A couple of months ago a friend gave me some M1 0/30. I was going to use that in my wife's Corolla (spec'd for 0/20)....but I ended up using it in a RAV4 that belongs to one of my wife's friends. She's a single mom and I was happy to buy her a filter and donate that oil to her cause.

Either way....this 10/30 is going in something. I won't let it go to waste.....be it one of my vehicles, my mower or I might even hang on to it and use it for another "charity change" to help out friends and whatnot.

Last edited:
Back