10W-30 void warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year I bought a 97 mustang with low 32,000 miles, I purchased an extended warranty (Ford EXP plan), 4 years/48,000 miles, the owners manual calls for 5W-30, would using 10W-30 void the warranty? Also I noticed that when I took the car to the dealership for oil changes they were going to put 5W-20 in it, they told me that 5W-20 is not only for new fords but recommeded for all newer fords (97+). I do the maintaince on my other two vehicles but would rather have the maintaince done on this car at the dealer and keep the paperwork in case something came up.
Thanks

10W-30 will not void the warranty any more than changing to a non Motorcraft airfilter
smile.gif

It should be fine in that engine, and I would definetly run a 10W-30 in it unless it was cold.

With all the good 5w30's available these days, I would just use one of those. Castrol GTX and Chevron Supreme are two of the best. Its not likely that 10w30 would void the warranty, but I like to use the recommended oil and Motorcraft filters so they don't have a leg to stand on in denying a claim.

MustangGT,

1) The Ford ESP Plan is not a warranty! It is a service contract or a mechanical faiure insurance policy. All the so-called extended warranties are not warranties at all. Here's what Ford says, "The confidence and convenience of a new-vehicle factory warranty is wonderful. The only trouble is that eventually, it ends. With Ford Extended Service Plans (Ford ESP),...." (italics mine). Note, "extended service plan," NOT "extended warranty."

2) As to the requirements, the only way to tell is to read the fine print on your contract. And, of course, if you don't hold up your part of the contract you signed, don't expect the other party to feel the need to write checks to hold up their end.

Ken

5W-20??? Why? So Ford can make your engine die faster and sell you another car?!?!? Stick with the recommended oils: 5W-30 or 10W-30.

P.S. I just noticed you live in Washington. It's too cold there to use 10W-30. Use 5W-30.

[ May 20, 2003, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: troy_heagy ]

So troy, where is the evidence that 5w20 makes engines wear out faster? Nobody here has seen it yet.

For reference, here is a link to a forum that lists the backward compatibility of 5w20 for Ford motors.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001317#000006

The mustang 4.6l is on that list, making it perfectly accpetable to use 5w20 despite the owners manual listing for 5w30.

My advice here would be to stick with a quality 5w30 oil.

[ May 20, 2003, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: MNgopher ]

About the warrantee or service plan; I think the only time the type of oil would come up is if you had a stinky disagreement with Ford. I think Ford would then use anything and everything they had to get out of spending their money. Then you would be the one that has to prove it wasn't the oils fault. May not be worth the trouble.

I only say that because that wa probably what was in there before. In all likelyhood, the 5w20 is just fine, but if the 5w30 was used from the get go, why change now?

That's it - no sinister plot to push or vilify 5w20 oils!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back