10r80 atf

I've been doing some research since mom ordered that Maverick, they don't put it in the owners manual and I had to go all the way back to the 2020 Escape manual to find it, but it looks like the 8 speed FWD/AWD trans is also using ULV these days, so add all of those to the list of people who will be needing fluid. Looks like its not just for the trucks anymore.

Thanks for the info, just about to do my first service on the 10 speed.
Have you had any issues with it upshifting from 3rd? @ctechbob and I discussed this at length some time ago… mine had the 3rd upshift problem that shifted poorly at best, and occasionally resulted in a failed shift to neutral. Dealer was no help, reflash was no help, experimenting with different ATFs was no help… but… a tiny, tiny dose of lubeguard red (2oz pour total) was remarkable. Consider it if you’ve had any issues. Less is more.

Have you had any issues with it upshifting from 3rd? @ctechbob and I discussed this at length some time ago… mine had the 3rd upshift problem that shifted poorly at best, and occasionally resulted in a failed shift to neutral. Dealer was no help, reflash was no help, experimenting with different ATFs was no help… but… a tiny, tiny dose of lubeguard red (2oz pour total) was remarkable. Consider it if you’ve had any issues. Less is more.
FWIW, When @meep and I talked about this, I did an entire bottle of LG Platinum, and continue to do 1oz of LG Red (Only reason I don't continue to use platinum is that I have a large bottle of Red I use in my Honda vehicles. I might swap everything over to platinum in the future.) per quart of Valvoline ULV when I do a spill and fill, of which I've done 2 at 20,000 miles on the truck now.

Mine shifts totally fine. Sometimes the shift programming gets confused, especially going down the box during a hard stop, but no missed shifts, and going up through the box it is smooth as silk. I feel like over the long term, these transmissions will benefit from fresh fluid more often than Ford recommends. The control circuits and timings are just waaayyyyy too complex and sensitive for dirt and old fluid to be in there.

Ran across a couple of VOA's of the Valvoline and Mercon ULV's. Posted here:

Not so sure I would do that. ULV is quite a bit thinner. Normally I'd be a proponent of a multi-use fluid, but these 10R80's seem to be very sensitive to fluid viscosity. I've got 5 qts of the Valvoline ULV sitting at home waiting for a spill and fill on mine. That low viscosity is part of the reason Ford wants the transmissions to come up to temperature as quickly as possible, there's a big difference from cold shifting to at temp shifting so all of them carry a fairly good-sized warmer/cooler heat exchanger.

My 2020 F150 3.5 had a noticeable difference between cold and warm when stock. Even with a tune its worlds better but there is still a difference. I love my truck but that transmission is one of the loudest and clunkiest I've ever driven, especially when its learning.

They do look to have Dexos Certifications on some of their oils, so they probably aren't some totally fly-by-night outfit.

I shot them off an email to see if they were planning on adding it to their Amazon store or somehow making it available in the US, judging by the prices on Amazon, it looks like if they do, it will be about as much as the Valvoline.
Klondike is a Canadian company and I use their CVT fluid by the case. 🇨🇦

Another option has appeared. Phillips 66 and their VersaTrans ULV. Not surprising as they make one of the OEM ones already.

cSt @ 100c - 4.5

Not really seeing it for sale at the moment, but competition is a good thing!

For anyone in Canada, esp Ontario, looking for Klondike stuff, ask your local NAPA if they carry it. I use some Klondike stuff (ULV and some grease) and it's cheaper through my local NAPA. Also can confirm, Klondike makes quality stuff and customer service is outstanding. If I didn't have a long-standing relationship with Chevron I'd switch all my stuff over to them. I did see some results of their HDEO in a fleet test...... it's solid.

Liqimoly

Top Tec ATF 1850

1708810593866.jpg

Reactions: D60
Back