100% Synthetic in 2021 Bronco Sport?

Detroit Diesel Series 60s had those back in the 90s, so it's been around a while.
And they run many millions of miles on them. I've been wrenching on them for around 10 years and only had to replace one, the rest have just needed gaskets and grommets. That's the mistake people make on them, they see a leak and change the gasket but never the grommets and that's where the leak usually is in my experience.

You're an Amsoil guy, run it! After it breaks in, time to compare UOAs with the 20 vs the 30. It IS a turbo....and is it DI as well?

Just took delivery of a 2021 Ford Bronco Sport with the 3 cylinder turbo engine, 1.5 L. I noticed that Amsoil does not have an oil recommendation on the website yet which did not surprise me as it's a brand new model. But I have a question that my dealer service department couldn't answer. I've used 100% synthetic Amsoil in everything I've owned since 1979. I noticed in the Bronco Sport manual they (naturally) recommend Motorcraft synthetic blend oil, or Motorcraft traditional old style oil, but they did not recommend Motorcraft 100% Synthetic. Wondering if there is some reason that they don't want 100% synthetic in these motors? Of if there was some logical reason? Or if they just didn't want to steer people to more expensive, or perhaps less readily available Motorcraft 100% synthetic oil? Is it a marketing thing or a technical thing? Figured if anyone would know, it would be Amsoil! Naturally I intent to switch to Amsoil as soon as they have a recommendation posted, but why isn't Ford recommending their own 100% synthetic?
Do you have any pics of your new G.O.A.T?

Yes, it's a 3 cylinder turbo! 1.5L. The manual says:
Motorcraft® SAE 5W-20 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil(U.S.)
Motorcraft® SAE 5W-20 Super Premium Motor Oil
Specification
WSS-M2C960-A1

Oil change intervals called for are whenever the oil life monitor tells you to, expected to be 7500-10000 miles in normal driving, obviously more often in more harsh or "extreme" use and in dusty and dirty areas.

not sure where you are from to determine winter temperatures ... but since you are an Amsoil guy (since 76 iirc), I would consider SS 10W30 (Noack 4.1) if it was my car. also not much vii (polymer) in it. I think if your engine runs very hot, it may not be a bad idea to consider or research.

Last edited:
TGDI 3-banger? I definitely wouldn’t want to run any blend, Motorcraft or otherwise.

It would be a high-quality full-synth, for sure.

Probably a good, low-Noack 10W-30, at least. Possibly a Euro 5W-30.

TGDI 3-banger? I definitely wouldn’t want to run any blend, Motorcraft or otherwise.

It would be a high-quality full-synth, for sure.

Probably a good, low-Noack 10W-30, at least. Possibly a Euro 5W-30.

Being a T and DI ... Does he need a LSPI friendly oil? Just realized it's DI also. It's got all the elements i.e. T, DI and small engine!

Edit:
nevermind. Amsoil SS 10W30 is API SN+

Last edited:
So many oils that you could run. I'd run: M1 ESP and PP EURO LX as they are readily available. LSPI may be an issue judging by the type and size of the engine. I'd swap oil out every 5kmiles because I'm OCD like that. Besides will warranty be affected if you go out of viscosity spec? I think so. Stick to 20 weight and a some have said as long as it meets spec you're good to go.

Oh! Congrats btw. Enjoy it.

Attachments

• IMG_8270.JPG
    IMG_8270.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 119
If you look under the recommendation for the Mexican Market you will likely see an oil that is full synthetic. At least both my 2014 Mustang and 2018 F150 Manuals are that way.

Ford generally only recommends the oil that meets the spec for the requirements (and not a "Premium" option) in the USA.

In the case of my Mustang you with find the regular car list 5W-20 Blend but the Track Pack recommends 5W-50 Synthetic despite the addition of an oil cooler. The reason is the raising of the oil temp engine derate parameters from 248F to 302F and the possibility the car may see sustained oil temps near 300F on the Track. The 5W-20 Blend is completely adequate if the car will never exceed 250F oil temp and then only for a relatively short period of time.

Agreed, the base oil composition is less important than the oil meeting the required spec. But a 3-cyl turbo is probably stressed and running hot in the Bronco application, so personally I would use a full syn that meets the spec. I guess what I'm saying is, the base oil is not the most important factor but it is still a factor, especially for highly stressed applications. Besides there is not a big price difference between syn blends and full syn nowadays so I see no reason not to go full syn.

That new Bronco looks awesome. I really like the color. (y)
How do you like it? Is it comfortable? Performance?
I have always said that if I were to buy an SUV it would be a Jeep GC. To HE** with that. I want a bronco just like yours. If they had Blue I would choose that color.

Ford simply updated to GF6/SP with their in 20/30... grade specs.

So, I recommend any 5w20 full synthetic SP/GF6 oil. If it were mine, I'd use a 5w30 synthetic. But, its a 3 cylinder so maybe the mud oil will reduce power/mpg drastically. Use the Ford Motorcraft oil until all the brands update their recommendations.

Last edited:

Ford simply updated to GF6/SP with their in 20/30... grade specs.

So, I recommend any 5w20 full synthetic SP/GF6 oil. If it were mine, I'd use a 5w30 synthetic. But, its a 3 cylinder so maybe the mud oil will reduce power/mpg drastically. Use the Ford Motorcraft oil until all the brands update their recommendations.
I think it is true that thicker oil can change the “feel” of an engine, possibly adding some slight drag. ”Drastically” is a bit hyperbolic, I think.

For this reason, I wouldn’t want to go TOO thick, especially on a smaller engine.

Just need to take into consideration the usage it’ll experience.

I will say, 5W-20 oils are attractive for their better Noack scores and lower amounts of VM. Some are effectively monogrades that still have good enough VI to meet multigrade standards.

I don’t think a good 5W-30 or 10W-30 would be too thick.

Back