100% Synthetic in 2021 Bronco Sport?

Just took delivery of a 2021 Ford Bronco Sport with the 3 cylinder turbo engine, 1.5 L. I noticed that Amsoil does not have an oil recommendation on the website yet which did not surprise me as it's a brand new model. But I have a question that my dealer service department couldn't answer. I've used 100% synthetic Amsoil in everything I've owned since 1979. I noticed in the Bronco Sport manual they (naturally) recommend Motorcraft synthetic blend oil, or Motorcraft traditional old style oil, but they did not recommend Motorcraft 100% Synthetic. Wondering if there is some reason that they don't want 100% synthetic in these motors? Of if there was some logical reason? Or if they just didn't want to steer people to more expensive, or perhaps less readily available Motorcraft 100% synthetic oil? Is it a marketing thing or a technical thing? Figured if anyone would know, it would be Amsoil! Naturally I intent to switch to Amsoil as soon as they have a recommendation posted, but why isn't Ford recommending their own 100% synthetic?

Last edited:
Just took delivery of a 2021 Ford Bronco Sport with the 3 cylinder turbo engine, 1.5 L. I noticed that Amsoil does not have an oil recommendation on the website yet which did not surprise me as it's a brand new model. But I have a question that my dealer service department couldn't answer. I've used 100% synthetic Amsoil in everything I've owned since 1979. I noticed in the Bronco Sport manual they (naturally) recommend Motorcraft synthetic blend oil, or Motorcraft traditional old style oil, but they did not recommend Motorcraft 100% Synthetic. Wondering if there is some reason that they don't want 100% synthetic in these motors? Of if there was some logical reason? Or if they just didn't want to steer people to more expensive, or perhaps less readily available Motorcraft 100% synthetic oil? Is it a marketing thing or a technical thing? Figured if anyone would know, it would be Amsoil! Naturally I intent to switch to Amsoil as soon as they have a recommendation posted, but why are they to recommending their own 100% synthetic?
Congrats on the new Bronco. They just want to sell you the MC Synblend. And that’s a recommendation only, btw. Use any oil that meets the approval in the Manual and you will be good.

And welcome to BITOG.

What is the exact oil spec or recommendation? Curious what the owner's manual says. I mean API, GF-, Ford spec, etc.?

Also the recommended oil change interval. That's even more important and could tell the story.

With 3-cyl Turbo (if not a typo) you would think we want a fancier oil. Runs more hot I assume.

Last edited:
Whoever puts together those manuals are usually disconnected from the reality and/or their own engineering team. Use any synthetics you like, Walmart has a good selection of API SP. As for he Amsoil, I’m sure they’re just behind to add Bronco to their selection list. I don’t think there’s anything new in the MC blend that Amsoil or any other oil can’t do.

With 3-cyl Turbo (if not a typo) you would think we want a fancier oil. Runs more hot I assume.
And you would be correct.
Combine several hundred heat cycles with plastic oil pans, intake manifolds and cooling system components and you have a vehicle that becomes very "needy" as it ages out of warranty.

But of course, nobody actually admits these facts :sneaky:

What is the exact oil spec or recommendation? Curious what the owner's manual says. I mean API, GF-, Ford spec, etc.?

Also the recommended oil change interval. That's even more important and could tell the story.

It’s a 3 banger … son put a deposit on one.

Yes, it's a 3 cylinder turbo! 1.5L. The manual says:
Motorcraft® SAE 5W-20 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil(U.S.)
Motorcraft® SAE 5W-20 Super Premium Motor Oil
Specification
WSS-M2C960-A1

Oil change intervals called for are whenever the oil life monitor tells you to, expected to be 7500-10000 miles in normal driving, obviously more often in more harsh or "extreme" use and in dusty and dirty areas.

Specification
WSS-M2C960-A1

Oil change intervals called for are whenever the oil life monitor tells you to, expected to be 7500-10000 miles in normal driving, obviously more often in more harsh or "extreme" use and in dusty and dirty areas.

I would of course stick with oe filter.. and go with a good trusted oil brand "valvoline, Castrol, Mobil 1" even napa or super tech world do just fine.

Specification
WSS-M2C960-A1

If your an Amsoil guy.......run it !
I’ve got it in my wife’s Lincoln 2.0T right now

And you would be correct.
Combine several hundred heat cycles with plastic oil pans, intake manifolds and cooling system components and you have a vehicle that becomes very "needy" as it ages out of warranty.

But of course, nobody actually admits these facts :sneaky:
Hold on...plastic oil pans???

Back