10 yr old V8 BMW: M1 0w40 or M1 10w40 Hi Mileage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks,

I've got a BWM 540i/6speed. 135k.

I've always run Mobil 1 0w40, but I'm considering trying out the M1 High-Mileage synthetic.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_High_Mileage_10W-40.aspx

Site says it's has a higher level of detergent plus seal conditioners. Thought I'd give it a try and see if it helps with my minor valve-cover gasket leak, and perhaps it will clean out some sludge too.

Please don't reply that I should just replace the gasket - its on my todo list, but it's a big job.

I'm in SoCal, so no chance the car will be in weather lower than 40 degrees or higher than 85 before my next change.

Any experience with M1 high mileage oils? The 0w40 is the only one that meet BMW specs, so I'm a bit leery of stepping outside the recommended list.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Keep using the M1 0w40, it is an LL-01 approved lubricant, which is required for this application as you know.

I'm not a fan of high mileage oils. The rubber gaskets on BMW engines harden and get brittle, I've changed a couple of M54 valve cover gaskets now and that has been the case with both of them. The gaskets were so hard they would "snap" when you attempted to bend them, no amount of "high mileage" oil with "seal conditioners" is going to fix THAT.

I had a weeping VCG on my S62 when I first got the car, but after my first OCI of M1 0w40, the leak seemed to dissipate, as I no longer get the oil burning smell when it is first fired up and haven't since that first OCI. That said, I will eventually replace the gaskets because I know how bad they can get. I had really hoped to find a source for silicone rubber gaskets like the type that Ford uses, as they don't harden and fail in this manner, but so far, no luck
frown.gif

I've been using similar weights of the same brand oil synthetic on a 1997 Lexus ES300 1MZ_FE for pretty much the whole life of the car (naturally except for it's break in period) and it does not leak or burn a drop of oil ...

M1 0w40 is just about the best oil out there. I wouldn't change to something outside of spec.

It's disappointing that you have a big job on your hands at 135k.

Just goes to confirm that the Europeans have a lot to learn about reliability.

Agree with others that effectiveness depends on gasket material and why it leaks or consumes. "Worked" for me. Tried regular M1 100k ago. Leaked from everywhere. Been using M1 HM ever since. Leaks have not returned. If you click on the Product Data Sheet at the bottom of your link, the claim is extra cleaners and wear additives. Took 3 OCI's for the oil to stay clean past 3k, so I take their word for it.

Won't hurt anything to try it. Maybe save the expense like I have.

"It's disappointing that you have a big job on your hands at 135k."

Ha, I've had to do the alternator, cooling system, clutch, driveshaft and master-cylinder in the past 10k. The 540i drives great but my Z28 had better reliability to 135k.

Originally Posted By: verite

Ha, I've had to do the alternator, cooling system, clutch, driveshaft and master-cylinder in the past 10k. The 540i drives great but my Z28 had better reliability to 135k.

Yes, BMW's aren't "cheap" cars to own. It isn't that the parts are expensive, they generally aren't, it is the fact that you are replacing parts that you are surprised need to be replaced..... The valve cover gasket here is a prime example of that. They aren't overly expensive, but you'd expect a modern valve cover gasket to last much longer.

Thought I'd give it a try and see if it helps with my minor valve-cover gasket leak, and perhaps it will clean out some sludge too.

Please don't reply that I should just replace the gasket - its on my todo list, but it's a big job.

It is unlikely that any oil will help with a valve cover gasket leak. BMW engines are notorious for this. It'll get progressively worse. It just needs to get done.

Considering that you're in SoCal, I think M1 HM 10w-40 will be fine.

I had a 94 530i. Was quiet except for one little tick. If I still had the car today would give T6 5w40 a try. T6 was the only oil that could quiet the noisiest engine I've ever owned, a 2000 Corolla. Sold the Corolla with T6 in the sump hehe.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Keep using the M1 0w40, it is an LL-01 approved lubricant, which is required for this application as you know.

I would agree. On the other side of the coin, isn't M1 HM 10w-40 A3/B3 in the States? We don't get it here, so I never really checked.

As for brittle valve cover gaskets, that's how my Audi's were when I changed them. They were terribly brittle, but it was an easy and cheap fix. Two hours plus to change an air filter, fifteen minutes for a valve cover gasket. Yeesh.

Originally Posted By: Garak
On the other side of the coin, isn't M1 HM 10w-40 A3/B3 in the States?

Yes. Both M1 HM 10w-40 and 10w-30 are ACEA A3/B4 rated.

I would use an approved lubricant for this application. Not something I would be willing to [censored] around with here, as Doug has alluded to as well. FWIW. The 10w40 is not an approved lubricant, in fact, it has no OEM approvals at all.

Yes, BMW's aren't "cheap" cars to own. It isn't that the parts are expensive, they generally aren't, it is the fact that you are replacing parts that you are surprised need to be replaced..... The valve cover gasket here is a prime example of that. They aren't overly expensive, but you'd expect a modern valve cover gasket to last much longer.

That's what makes me laugh about the thicker oil advocates. The Teutonics are somehow the experts when it comes to oil viscosity for reliability while the rest of their vehicles fall apart.

In the meantime, the Japanese who have taken reliability to ridiculously high levels, can't be trusted as they seek to apply their engineering brilliance to high VI oils.

The Japanese have a track record of taking innovation and making it reliable. The fact that Hybrids are amongst the most reliable vehicles out there is never mentioned but it is astounding.

In the meantime, Teutonic manufacturers have problems with their innovations all the time. The reliability of Teutonic vehicles is abysmal.

Originally Posted By: FoxS

That's what makes me laugh about the thicker oil advocates. The Teutonics are somehow the experts when it comes to oil viscosity for reliability while the rest of their vehicles fall apart.

In the meantime, the Japanese who have taken reliability to ridiculously high levels, can't be trusted as they seek to apply their engineering brilliance to high VI oils.

The Japanese have a track record of taking innovation and making it reliable. The fact that Hybrids are amongst the most reliable vehicles out there is never mentioned but it is astounding.

In the meantime, Teutonic manufacturers have problems with their innovations all the time. The reliability of Teutonic vehicles is abysmal.

Stereotype more please
smirk.gif

I didn't say the vehicles were unreliable, and they CERTAINLY don't "fall apart", simply that parts that you expect to last longer..... don't. That doesn't make it unreliable, as the vehicle still functions fine when weeping out from the valve cover gasket for example, it is just annoying, and at 135K (the OP) you wouldn't expect to have to replace that item.... you wouldn't on a Ford.

One must also be careful not to confuse unreliable with overly complex. Though being overly complex can make a vehicle unreliable, it doesn't always. But it CAN make the vehicle a PITA to own.

My M5 has been perfectly reliable since I bought it. But that doesn't mean it hasn't needed parts. It needed a camshaft position sensor for example, which was ~$100.00, and not overly difficult to change (the cars are easy to work on with BMW's "layered" approach) but I have FOUR of the bloody things, and the rest of them are all the OE part that has a tendency to fail and cause erratic cam timing, which causes a reduction in power. Note that it doesn't disable the vehicle or cause it to be "unreliable", it just makes it down on power. Same goes for the fan resister control module.... Easy to change, cheap to buy, but yeah, I had to replace it..... with a revised part. This is also a German thing: once the car has been on the market for a while, they discover what has "issues" and then they fix them with revised parts. So while it is a pain to replace the part, usually the same part doesn't fail again once the revised component has been used. You feel a bit like a rolling experiment....

And that brings me back to my point about overly complex. My car has SIX computers, front and rear parking sensors, rain sensing wipers, dual variable cam timing, EIGHT throttle bodies, dual MAF's, a semi-dry sump, dynamic stability control, integrated navigation, variable assist power steering, drive by wire, climate control, auto windows, power sun shade, 4 billion way adjustable seats, 3 position driver seat, climate, mirror and comfort memory, 3-setting heated seats, HID's, 400HP and will do 190Mph. This car was the cat's [censored] back when it debuted and had features that nobody else had. It also cost an arm and a leg and if you service it at the dealer, yes, it is expensive to own relative to more moderately appointed vehicles that aren't something that was designed like it was a NASA engineering exercise.

HOWEVER

This is the REASON that German vehicles tend to be regarded as less reliable than the Nippon nameplates you allude to. They DEVELOP all of this stuff, and then the Japanese take it and slowly integrate it into their products sometime later, whilst making it more affordable, mainstream and reliable. And in that vein, it isn't the mature technologies in the German cars that tend to flake out, it is the "new stuff" most of the time. I think this is a symptom of "hey look what what can do!" without enough durability testing before bringing it to market.

And in that vein, you won't find many German cars that are sparse on features either. It isn't like you could go buy a base 3-series in 2002 with no variable cam timing, throttle by cable and no stability control like you could with a base Civic or Ford Focus for example. So by that metric, if you don't offer cars in a decontented trim, all of those extras are more "problem points" and subsequently "strikes against you" so to speak when Judith fills out her Consumer Reports survey about her 5-series and the fact she's had to put a high pressure fuel pump in it twice.

SOMEBODY has to innovate this stuff for the Japanese to copy it and make it reliable and within reach for the ordinary man
wink.gif
To counter the point you are making
smile.gif

But even the Japanese aren't infallible in this respect. You'd think that with all their superior Japanese quality control, Honda would have been able to design a reliable automatic transmission...... But the Odyssey and Accord were plagued with transmission problems for YEARS.

You'd think with all their superior Japanese quality control that Toyota would have been able to design engines that didn't sludge up, frames that didn't rot in half, camshafts that didn't break.....etc. But it happens.

Nissan had engines that ingested the insides of their catalytic converters causing complete engine failure.

Subaru had a head gasket failure epidemic.

Nobody makes a perfect car. The more cutting-edge features you roll into a vehicle, the greater the potential for teething issues and failures down the road.

And when you mass produce something, there is ALWAYS going to be SOMETHING that gets overlooked. Even the coveted Japanese quality control has failed here... numerous times.

Repeat German car buyers buy German cars because they are absolutely incredible vehicles to drive. I've never driven a car like my M5. So while it might not be the cheapest car to own, it might have expensive brakes, it may need a clutch every 150,000Km and it may need chassis parts more often than a Toyota, Toyota didn't have ANYTHING that came close to this car back in 2001 and even now the aged E39 cars are still a benchmark for ride quality, comfort, handling and the like. Not bad for a platform that is 15 years old.

Yes. Overkill said my thoughts very articulately. The water-cooled alternator in my E39 a great case in point. Over-engineered and expensive for an alternator (about $900 at the dealer), but it lets BMW get the center of gravity that much lower.

Not that I don't think it's absurd that a car that was $60k new has gaskets that are guaranteed to breakdown after 8 years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back