Redline - 0W40 vs. 5W40 for BMW and more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JAG
...The moly is potentially good and bad. Good: anti-wear, friction reduction, antioxidant. Bad: increases ash content of burnt oil which builds up on rings and piston grooves. But it gets complicated since if you really stress the oil, the antioxidant effect may reduce oil degradation deposits on the rings and pistons. Also complicating is that due to design reasons and low oil consumption your rings and pistons might not have a ash buildup issue with either oil...

Wouldn't the esters be effective in fighting/preventing ash buildup?

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
Originally Posted By: JAG
...The moly is potentially good and bad. Good: anti-wear, friction reduction, antioxidant. Bad: increases ash content of burnt oil which builds up on rings and piston grooves. But it gets complicated since if you really stress the oil, the antioxidant effect may reduce oil degradation deposits on the rings and pistons. Also complicating is that due to design reasons and low oil consumption your rings and pistons might not have a ash buildup issue with either oil...

Wouldn't the esters be effective in fighting/preventing ash buildup?

-Dennis

Good question. I've never seen this directly mentioned in literature but since esters have detergent/dispersant properties I would guess they would help prevent ash from sticking to pistons and rings, relative to an oil with low polarity. But I wouldn't count on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back