10 yr Auto loans....yikes!

We keep vehicles for a long time, our newest is a 2014. We have paid cash for the last 2 we have bought because those were the years or earning nothing on your savings. We did finance the Mazda for 36 months because Mazda had .9% APR and no early payoff penalty. I would use financing at a rate under 3% these days, and earn 4% on that same money from a savings account at a bank.

We keep vehicles for a long time, our newest is a 2014. We have paid cash for the last 2 we have bought because those were the years or earning nothing on your savings. We did finance the Mazda for 36 months because Mazda had .9% APR and no early payoff penalty. I would use financing at a rate under 3% these days, and earn 4% on that same money from a savings account at a bank.
I have seen that from Ford on their pickups. SO-spend $70,000.00 on a new pickup then you borrow "cheap money"!

Well, look at it this way. My most expensive car was $44,700 in 12/06. I borrowed 36 months and put $30k down. At the time, people in the office said, that's dumb. Why would you not lease the vehicle? It's a depreciating asset.

I felt there were 2 reasons. I wanted the car, and I would buy a car for about $15k, the rest is in fact just a luxury.

My desire has tapered off and the types of cars I like today, are around $115k. I'm not going to be able to put down $100k, and finance $15k. So if I had to have the car, I'd likely need a 15 year heloc :ROFLMAO:
A car is a depreciating asset whether it is leased or purchased on borrowed money. Funny how people think sometimes about financial things....

........... I would use financing at a rate under 3% these days, and earn 4% on that same money from a savings account at a bank.
I hear this a lot. And while it sounds good on paper, the problem in practice is the people who borrow tens of thousands of dollars for a decade at 3% or more for a car "these days", have little to nothing in the bank to earn any interest on in the first place.

Wait until you vil own nothing and you vil like it.

Then people will be paying monthly subscription fees just to order a car to take them somewhere. Those monthly payments go on forever.
Isn’t property like this already? if you have to pay property tax, then who truly owns it? (hint, try not paying the tax to find out.)

Guys complain about the 10 years loans other people might take out....and brag about keeping their car 200,000plus miles on here. Anybody see what I see...........?
I see you complaining about what other people complain about.

I have seen that from Ford on their pickups. SO-spend $70,000.00 on a new pickup then you borrow "cheap money"!
Nah, I have a 98 F150 that has been ultra reliable and does everything I need a truck to do. Ford has priced me out of the truck market.

I hear this a lot. And while it sounds good on paper, the problem in practice is the people who borrow tens of thousands of dollars for a decade at 3% or more for a car "these days", have little to nothing in the bank to earn any interest on in the first place.
Concur, would be an outlier scenario

Contrarian here. I am someone who keeps a vehicle for a long time. If I could get a relatively low interest loan and do it over many years, why not? Even though I have enough to pay cash, why not leave the money in the investments. Having said that, it isn't what I have done in the past: either paid cash or short term (3 years or less) loans.

Contrarian here. I am someone who keeps a vehicle for a long time. If I could get a relatively low interest loan and do it over many years, why not? Even though I have enough to pay cash, why not leave the money in the investments. Having said that, it isn't what I have done in the past: either paid cash or short term (3 years or less) loans.
I have no problem with that.
I paid cash for many cars and as I got older I got car loans instead and bought real estate which for me was a great investment. Whatever works for you.

Truer words have never been spoken. We have moved beyond "thick vs. Thin". To debt bad....very bad. New cars bad....very bad. Lot of pent of frustration around here.
Not being able to afford the debt is bad ,very bad,

That's not the way it works, though. Longer the term, higher the risk, more interest you pay through the higher rate and longer amortization.

Long term loans are never cheap. Short term are.

Last edited:
So that's paying ~40% more for the car in the end. Not what I want to sign up for really... This is for the Volt I assume?
Do you have investments expected to do better that 12% for a while?

I have no investments, no assets, and no savings. But the last car I financed, a Ford Escape, I paid off in about half the time of the loan and I intend to do that again. Just prioritizing my credit card debt first. And the Volt has saved me a ton of money on gas already.

Last edited:
I have no investments, no assets, and no savings. But the last car I financed, a Ford Escape, I paid off in about half the time of the loan and I intend to do that again. Just prioritizing my credit card debt first. And the Volt has saved me a ton of money on gas already.
Go to the library for a copy of The Total Money Makeover.

Back