10 Worst Used Vehicles !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NHGUY
No Ford Contour/Mercury Mystique? No KIA Sephia?

heh, i doubt many kia sephia's lived past 10 years. i see one every year or so.

Not enough left on the market to be statistically signficant, I would guess.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
A Car Dealer’s Scientific Guide to the 10 Worst Used Vehicles.

I have been studying this question in one form or another for nearly 16 years now. As an auto auctioneer, a remarketing manager and a part-owner of a wholesale auto auction, I’ve seen thousands of cars come and go through the auction block during the course of each year.

Two years and over 660,000 vehicles later ... As far as those cars with the highest defect level at trade-in time, here are the 10 worst:

10. Mazda RX-8
9. Mazda 626
8. Lincoln LS
7. Suzuki Forenza
6. Land Rover Discovery
5. Cadillac Catera
4. Mini Cooper
3. Mazda CX-7
2. Land Rover Freelander
1. Mazda Millenia

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/a-car-dealers-scientific-guide-to-the-10-worst-116647051962.html

The RX-8 and Millenia are simple enough to understand. Unconventional engines and a slew of owners that did not understand the care and feeding of a rotary or Miller cycle engine.

The CX-7 was always an oddity anyway. Weird mixture of MPV and Mazda5 chassis parts and a DISI turbo engine. People expecting to have an SUV engine like a 4.0 Jeep that they could neglect found that they had a Mazdaspeed 3/6 engine that was finicky about oil and direct injected.

Funny that the 626 makes the list but the Ford Probe doesn't.

It's the same car.

Same engines, same transmissions, same chassis, built in the same AutoAlliance International factory.

I admit, the automatics on the 626es were junk. They were bad and for some reason they stuck with that awful transmission. F-series 4 cylinders were tough as any 2.0. KL-DE V6 was a jewel of an engine for its time. The chassis holds up as well as any Camry or Accord.

I have 2 clients with manual transmission 626es with well over 200,000 miles. I strongly believe that automatic hobbled an otherwise good car

Quote:

3. Mazda CX-7: Engine issues on these vehicles are legion with nearly a third of these vehicles sold with “Engine needs service” announcements at the auctions. Despite a short model run, there are more CX-7s traded-in than any other bottom performer except for Mini.

can't that message mean it's oil change time?

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Quote:

3. Mazda CX-7: Engine issues on these vehicles are legion with nearly a third of these vehicles sold with “Engine needs service” announcements at the auctions. Despite a short model run, there are more CX-7s traded-in than any other bottom performer except for Mini.

can't that message mean it's oil change time?

It's finicky.

If you just run down to the Quik-E-Lube and pump bulk 10W30 into it, you are probably going to have the dreaded "smoking turbo" first time you get stuck in traffic. You run a quality synthetic 5W40 and you might still have the smoking turbo but a lower probability.

people got out of their Cherokees, Explorers, and Blazers and got into the CX-7s thinking that they could neglect the CX-7 like they did their old pushrod 6 cyls and they were wrong.

It's probably not that much less reliable than a VW Tourareg, but people are more likely to care for a Tourareg properly than a CX-7.

Originally Posted By: wormwood1978
2005 Chevy Equinox. Aweful bad vehicle.

Meh, first year for a new model vehicle is typically hit or miss. The first couple years of the Equinox/Torrent were terrible. Our 2008 has been relatively trouble free besides a couple door lock modules, an EGR (which caused ABS codes oddly enough...), and intake gasket. Latter I may have contributed to for lack of coolant maintenance.

After model year 1996 Ford cheapened the quality of the car to the point it eventually became a "rental fleet" car only. I have a 1996 Contour GL with the Zetec 2.0L and 5 speed manual tranny. It now has around 102,500 miles on it. It's been a great car, trouble free, normal maintenance, fluids, timing belt service, rear struts and brakes.
The car is rust free and the paint and interior is in real good shape for a 19 year old car. The biggest weakness for the 4 cylinder model was the auto tranny and the early car's Japanese made engine wiring harness which would flake off the insulation. This happened more so in hotter dry climates I believe. We are taking this car to Key West from NJ again this year, it's real comfortable for long drives.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back