Illustration of coolant being neglected and why (when I purchased vehicle used)

The car was 10 years old, and I was the 3rd owner. Dealer serviced its entire life per Carfax.

Yet, on my second day of ownership, there was zero coolant in the reservoir, and zero in the radiator to be seen. Very horrifying, but that was 7.5 years ago so no damage occured.

It has shaped my opinion on those free multipoints, and what dealer service actually represents.

Toyota SLLC has its first interval at 10 years, so my used car had not quite reached it yet, nor did it reach by mileage, so I guess noone in its life ever checked.

Luckily a forum explained it's evaporation. The reservoir is only accessed by removing the plastic air intake, and it's only viewed from the driver area looking out forward. This vehicle is also prone to having the dealership change 7/8 plugs.

1111.jpeg

IMG_8381.jpeg
cru.jpeg

Every one forget to check the coolant reservoir, just like the cabin filter.
Years ago when I was struggling financially, I stopped in a used car lot on a Sunday and looked at an SUV. Something like a full size Blazer. It was a Sunday so they were closed. I popped the hood and removed the radiator cap and shined my flashlight down and the radiator was empty. Not a drop. I replaced the cap and sadly left thinking about my choices in life and how I wound up at a used car lot on a Sunday looking at a truck with no coolant in its radiator.

Years ago when I was struggling financially, I stopped in a used car lot on a Sunday and looked at an SUV. Something like a full size Blazer. It was a Sunday so they were closed. I popped the hood and removed the radiator cap and shined my flashlight down and the radiator was empty. Not a drop. I replaced the cap and sadly left thinking about my choices in life and how I wound up at a used car lot on a Sunday looking at a truck with no coolant in its radiator.
Some years ago I looked at a used Mazda5 at a well-regarded Mazda dealership. Before the test drive I pulled the dipstick only to find it was dry. I told the salesman who had a tech add oil, but I was really turned off that particular vehicle.

I did buy a used 5 a couple of months later, but not that one.

You guys haven't seen nothing. How about buying a car that lived in mild climate CA where people can just throw water in the coolant reservoir. Leave it and forget it. This is what happens.

Sadly, this is the car that I bought. I did an engine replacement years later.

Attachments

• day 4 1.JPG
    day 4 1.JPG
    206.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3747.JPG
    IMG_3747.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3995.JPG
    IMG_3995.JPG
    177.7 KB · Views: 36
There is some truth to struggle building character. It's more than a cliche.

You guys haven't seen nothing. How about buying a car that lived in mild climate CA where people can just throw water in the coolant reservoir. Leave it and forget it. This is what happens.

Sadly, this is the car that I bought. I did an engine replacement years later.
I've never thought of that....clearly lose anti boil properties and as you point out rust inhibition. I used to do that in the windshield washer reservoir during the summer. Apparently that can lead to algae?...

The car was 10 years old, and I was the 3rd owner. Dealer serviced its entire life per Carfax.

Yet, on my second day of ownership, there was zero coolant in the reservoir, and zero in the radiator to be seen. Very horrifying, but that was 7.5 years ago so no damage occured.

That looks suspiciously like a third gen Lexus LS.

A car I very much one day want to own. I know people on ClubLexus who have owned every generation up to current, and say that was the best ever.

That should be a picture everyone sees before thinking "i'll just top off with some tap water, it's not that important to use distilled".

That looks suspiciously like a third gen Lexus LS.

A car I very much one day want to own. I know people on ClubLexus who have owned every generation up to current, and say that was the best ever.
Yes, it's a 2006. A man at Costco asked me if I wanted to sell it. At first I thought he was messing around, then I noticed he was in a 1998 LS and said he has a SC430, this LS400 he was driving, and also a 2001 LS430. He wanted the refreshed body to add to his stable. In thinking about it, I am the owner of the three, who has had it the longest in time, and also driven the most miles. So I guess it is "my" car. Everything about them is well known, what people say will break, will, and anything to the reliability, is also true. I think the sweet spot would have been to grab one from its original owner. They're people like my mom and her 2006 TSX...tends to take care of it and really doesn't drive a lot nor is she hard on it....

Yes, it's a 2006. A man at Costco asked me if I wanted to sell it. At first I thought he was messing around, then I noticed he was in a 1998 LS and said he has a SC430, this LS400 he was driving, and also a 2001 LS430. He wanted the refreshed body to add to his stable. In thinking about it, I am the owner of the three, who has had it the longest in time, and also driven the most miles. So I guess it is "my" car. Everything about them is well known, what people say will break, will, and anything to the reliability, is also true. I think the sweet spot would have been to grab one from its original owner. They're people like my mom and her 2006 TSX...tends to take care of it and really doesn't drive a lot nor is she hard on it....

Yeah I like the 2nd half face-lifted (“refreshed”) of that generation. We have an ES and RX of that era, which are great vehicles. At some point I really do want to get one of these. Nice.

Back