'10 Camaro SS vs. '11 Mustang GT drag race

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I have run faster times than a GT500, same track same day.

We all know the Camaro performance already.

Actually it may end up a bit quicker than the CTS-V!

So would you say what I saw, high 12s to mid 13s with a 109-112mph trap is pretty normal for the GT500? I was there just the one time so I have limited experience with them.

I also wondered because Famoso is supposed to produce good trap speeds but I've had my car trap 122mph and then take it to Vegas where it should run worse and trap 126 with no changes. I've seen Vipers run mid 13s and 111 traps and LS1 Vettes run 14.0s at 103mph. So I was trying to give the GT500 the benefit of the doubt. On the flip side I've seen stock cars run quicker than they should too.

Unless the same driver made all those runs, the data is useless. As you know, and your Z06 and Viper observations show, the driver is the single biggest variable in the equation besides track, air and other geography related issues.

A bone stock GT 500 with a good driver should do 12.7-12.9 all day long. Whats missing are the numbers for the new Al block in the 2011. The 100 lbs shed with the new block coupled with the new larger intercooler for the S/C and I'm guessing they shave at least 2 tenths off those numbers with the 2011.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BuickGN
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: BeanCounter
Originally Posted By: ProStreetCamaro

Also dont forget about the new Z28 coming out. Can we say 550hp and 550tq of pure goodness.

http://www.chevroletreports.com/blog/1035861_gm-confirms-the-2011-chevrolet-camaro-z28-is-a-go

Don't ruin the 5.0's 15 minutes of fame, now...
48.gif

Or should I say the 4.951, to be accurate?

Oh, I'm sorry, you must have missed the 2011 Shelby® GT500® comes with new, lighter aluminum-block 5.4L 4V supercharged V8 engine.

* 550 horsepower
* 510 lb.-ft. of torque

(just a quick copy and paste from Ford's website).

Lets see..... The 5.0L is already faster than the SS. And they make comparable power. So I don't think it is much of a stretch to assume that the GT500 is going to be faster than the Z/28, given the same factors.

Out of curiosity, what have you and Ben seen these cars running at the track? For some reason, the two I've seen can't break 112mph at Famoso. One was in the high 13s, lack of skill I'm sure, while the other was in the 12s and seemed to be running it for all it was worth. Is this low (for a 500hp car) trap normal or did I just happen to find two with really bad drivers?

They were the real deal by the way. The first thing I did was check them out in the lanes after I saw them run.

In person I've seen them go anywhere from mid-12s at 115-116 to high 13s @ 109-110. They aren't the easiest cars to drive as they are really under-tired from the factory.

Here's what MM&FF got out of a 2010 GT500: http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/features/mmfp_0910_2010_ford_shelby_gt500_drag_test/index.html

For those that don't care to click the link, it went 11.951 @ 120.29 completely stock and 11.592 @ 118.45 on a set of 26 x 11.5 x 17-inch Mickey Thompson E.T. Streets.

I have run faster times than a GT500, same track same day.

I've run quicker times than modded 6.1 Hemi Challengers in a 284 rwhp 4.6 2V automatic, same day, same track, same pass.
21.gif

that's precisely my point.

The driver means everything.

No disagreement there. The 284 rwhp 2V went 12.70 @ 110.5 mph, BTW.

which is an OUTRAGEOUS trap for that car.

I suspect a hot driver is the reason.

I was the driver
56.gif
, it is my buddies '99 GT.

bolton2vautogt_2.jpg

GT is on the left, a Prostreeted Nova is on the right. 1/8 mile is a bit weak because of some timing issues but she does just fine in the 2nd 1/8th.

There is a whole stack of timeslips in the 110.1-110.3 mph range, so no fluke.
grin2.gif

Don't race me with that reaction time. You were both sleeping at the light.

Test 'n Tune FTW
56.gif
This wasn't bracket racing so I wasn't concerned with reaction times, I don't think the Nova was either.

I'm not too shabby on a Pro Tree though...
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Don't race me with that reaction time. You were both sleeping at the light.

Test 'n Tune FTW
56.gif
This wasn't bracket racing so I wasn't concerned with reaction times, I don't think the Nova was either.

I'm not too shabby on a Pro Tree though...
grin2.gif

I'm the same way on test and tune. I've had literally 3 second reaction times since it doesn't factor into ET.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back